What kind of honey do you like?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Not too into honey. I think the honey in our cupboard has been there for a few years...which reminds me that I should probably just throw it out.

Why, it's not bad!

I wish I had a local apiary, but unfortunately I don't. I usually just go with clover cause it's what's available.

Unless you have to heat it every time you want to use it in order to liquefy it. Not that it is "bad" in crystal form, just that it is a PITA.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I usually buy a raw one from a local company - I can't remember my favourite flower/plant, but it's naturally pale and creamy... Some of the darker ones aren't so tasty.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Leatherwood honey is my favourite. :)
  • PhoenixWithoutAshes1
    Options
    There is a vendor at the Rochester Public Market that I buy from and we have also purchased from a vendor out of Brockport. I prefer to buy local honey whenever possible.
  • Meowoui
    Meowoui Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like Manuka honey, I get it from New Zealand. If not I get PDX Nectar. The darker the honey the better it is for you.
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me crave some tea with honey right now... I currently have wildflower honey, but I haven't yet found a type I didn't like. Buckwheat sounds intriguing. Might have to try to find that.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I love all honeys and I love trying new ones. You get various exotic ones here like acacia honey or citrus honeys that are quite special. A really distinctive one is Heather honey, it has a lovely strong floral flavour and quite a burn! A friend of the family produces rapeseed honey, which has a nice taste, but my word is it prone to crystallising! This is not usually due to the age of the honey, it's just a feature of some varieties that they will crystallise faster than others.

@earlnabby if your honey is recrystallising within a few days, it may be that when you are heating it you are leaving some crystals unmelted, which then act as 'seeds' for more - when you heat honey to decrystallise it, make sure you have melted absolutely all the crystals.

There is no correlation between honey colour and health - it's just the type of flower used. Different nectars produce different coloured honeys.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I like honey from Australian coastal bees. Always stop on road trips for a big punnet from farm side stalls.

I especially like when there are bits of the wax in there and you can chew it up, let the honey drizzle out - yum.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I like honey from Australian coastal bees. Always stop on road trips for a big punnet from farm side stalls.

I especially like when there are bits of the wax in there and you can chew it up, let the honey drizzle out - yum.

The type I buy sells jars of raw honey with chunks of the honeycomb in the top... So good! (except when you're trying to dig underneath for honey to make sure you ration it out :p)
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I like em' all but buckwheat would be my go to if I could only pick one. I usually get it at the Farmer's Market in St. Jacobs, 2 litres (67 ounces) for $20
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to get it locally for allergy reasons and it was so floral I couldn't put it in everything so I started using maple syrup in the place of it.
  • lucyluvalle
    lucyluvalle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I actually thought you were trying to be sexy!!! But after seeing your pic , I thought well that is a valid question... lol lol I like organic honey...
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    lqpvcj2ozt6u.jpg

This one specifically. :) I'm not sure what flowers those are on the front and it doesn't mention in English or Arabic what kind it is, but I don't like the other flavors (black forest, acacia, etc) or other brands imported from other countries that just say "natural honey", so I'm supposing it's wildflower honey from plants that grow around here.
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it's unpasteurized if you're eating it for any health benefits. Wildflower often has a floral taste to it that i don't love, i usually like fruit ones (apple orchard or pumpkin patch) or just clover is a nice light flavor
  • ElviraMarieCerri
    ElviraMarieCerri Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try to buy as near to local as I can get. When I lived in FL, it was (Florida) Orange Blossom Honey. Now that I'm in NM, I buy (New Mexico) Mesquite Honey, which has kind of a smoky flavor.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I try to buy as near to local as I can get. When I lived in FL, it was (Florida) Orange Blossom Honey. Now that I'm in NM, I buy (New Mexico) Mesquite Honey, which has kind of a smoky flavor.

There is a company where I live called "postcode honey" (postcode is the Australian zip code). Each jar has the postcode of the suburb the honey was collected in-I've never found mine yet, but I keep looking.
  • Machka9
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Leatherwood honey is my favourite. :)

This is the one I usually get ...

gnc500.jpg

• Machka9
    Options
    And some other options I haven't tried yet ...

tasmanianhoney.jpg
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly like honey but if using for cooking, I use leatherwood honey.