1200 no matter what I choose?

Options
OK so I can set my activity level to anything on here.
I can set the amount of time exercising to anything
I can set the amount of days working out to anything.
I can set the amount to lose to anything

Yet MFP still only gives me 1200 to eat...1230 at the most.

Uh huh.

Seems legit.

No wonder I set my own at 1450 at least. It tells me my TDEE is 1800. Despite how much I actually do.

Yeah....no.

PS. Should mention yesterday I burnt off over 4000 calories in walking alone. My normal daily burn is over 1500 from exercise alone. Yep full faith in the process here now.

Replies

• athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hmm that's weird, I've never heard anyone else make that complaint. Is there a way to contact support? Seems like you have some sort of glitch.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference to me. I set my own one anyway via another site. Pity though that I can't trust the site with this simple task though really. I'm so glad I now go via the cals Fitbit's website gives me to eat daily. I'd starve. In fact that would mean for 530 days I would have been starving myself in a big way.
  • littlebee26
    littlebee26 Posts: 116
    Options
    I've been set at 1200 calories too. And I workout 4 times a week. Even at that, I still get 1200 calories for the day. Now, I just happen to want to be on 1200 calories a day. Most people find its to little but it does me just fine. My food diary is loaded every day with good, clean calories and I am never hungry. And this whole starvation mode thing.....well it hasn't happened to me. I weighed myself for the first time in 3 weeks there and ive lost 6 pounds in 3 wks. Right on target :) Will only be recording weight loss once a month though so I won't be adding my weight loss to my profile Monday. I strated out trying to eat up to 1700 calories a day and I just couldn't. Even on workout days it was far too much. If your calories are clean then they go a lot further. Good luck with your weight loss journey and feel free to add me ;)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP does not calculate TDEE as it does not include exercise.

You are also overlooking the fact that MFP expects you to log exercise and eat those calories back so if you are active, you never really eat 1200 anyway.

I'm confused at what you are changing, if you are changing weight loss per week goals there should be a change.
    If it tells you maintenance is 1800, you should be getting at least 1500 when your goal is .5 lb a week.

What are your stats?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

You are also overlooking the fact that MFP expects you to log exercise and eat those calories back so if you are active, you never really eat 1200 anyway.

I'm confused at what you are changing, if you are changing weight loss per week goals there should be a change.
    If it tells you maintenance is 1800, you should be getting at least 1500 when your goal is .5 lb a week.

What are your stats?

38yo Female. 5'3" 130lb

Thing is it's NO MATTER which activity level I set, no matter how many lb per week I set & no matter how much I tell it I'll work out.

I still will only get given 1200... not 1201 right on 1200.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

What are your stats?

38yo Female. 5'3" 130lb

Thing is it's NO MATTER which activity level I set, no matter how many lb per week I set & no matter how much I tell it I'll work out.

I still will only get given 1200... not 1201 right on 1200.

Then I would contact the website, there is something wrong.
    When I put in your stats -
    At very active for 1lb a week I get 1410.
    Active; 1lb - 1290
    Lightly active and sedentary; 1 lb- 1200

Very active; .5 lb - 1660
    Active; .5 lb -1540
    Lightly active; .5 lb a week - 1410.
    Sedentary; .5- 1290

And again, these numbers are before you log your exercise.

At your weight 1 lb a week is too high.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    How much you tell it you plan to workout during set up does not affect your calories. As I mentioned the site is set up so you log your exercise each day and eat those calories.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think it's because you chose to lose 2 pounds a week. Choose less and see what happens!!!

And if you're exercising, it will allow you to eat more than that, but you have to log the exercise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's because you are supposed to log your exercise, then it will add calories to your daily goals.

It's not broken, just very badly explained.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I think it's because you chose to lose 2 pounds a week. Choose less and see what happens!!!

And if you're exercising, it will allow you to eat more than that, but you have to log the exercise.

I actually have it to lose 0.5kg a week. So not even half a lb a week. It does not change for me
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I actually have it to lose 0.5kg a week. So not even half a lb a week. It does not change for me

There are 2.2 lbs in a kilogram. So half a kilo is a little over 1 lb.

Like I said, notify the website because there is a glitch in your account or something. Using your stats I get more than 1200 with a 1 lb a week goal.
  • gastlysmom
    gastlysmom Posts: 28
    Options
    I just joined and my goal was to lose 9 lbs. i exercise pretty hard at least 4 days a week.. I am getting the same. Tells me to eat 1200 calories ( which it also told my friend who preceeded me in joining) No matter what numbers I put in.. it never changes
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I just joined and my goal was to lose 9 lbs. i exercise pretty hard at least 4 days a week.. I am getting the same. Tells me to eat 1200 calories ( which it also told my friend who preceeded me in joining) No matter what numbers I put in.. it never changes

You are supposed to log your exercise and eat those calories as well.
  • gastlysmom
    Options
    okay that makes sense. a little oddly presented however
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Yes, the set up is confusing when it asks for exercise goals. What do you have for a goal per week for weightloss?
  • gastlysmom
    Options
    : )
  • gastlysmom
    Options
    Be careful about those burned calories. I'm a runner.. You would have to RUN for 12 hours or something like that to burn 4000 calories. :noway: Your body would not tolerate that. Running a mile burns about 100 calories. yep, thats all .. ( it also builds muscle and endurance and is good for the heart though! )
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I thought the number chosen for me by the site was too low and as I had looked into what I should be eating I just customized my goals and set it about 300 calories higher. The site might not be very apt on what exactly is a healthy eating range but it is easy to customize.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Be careful about those burned calories. I'm a runner.. You would have to RUN for 12 hours or something like that to burn 4000 calories. :noway: Your body would not tolerate that. Running a mile burns about 100 calories. yep, thats all .. ( it also builds muscle and endurance and is good for the heart though! )

I walk non stop for 11 hours or more a day. Yesterday I actually burned closer to 4500 calories. I do run, just not in the winter cause my bones cant deal with cold very well.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Yes, the set up is confusing when it asks for exercise goals. What do you have for a goal per week for weightloss?

For me it does not change regardless of what exercise goal I put in. 7 days a week @ 1 min gives me 1200... 7 days a week @ 60 mins gives me 1200, 7 days a week @ 300 mins gives me 1200. No matter what setting.... not one movement at all.