1200 no matter what I choose?

Options

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It does have to be some kind of glitch cause no way on earth it would never change.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    okay that makes sense. a little oddly presented however

Yes, the set up is confusing when it asks for exercise goals. What do you have for a goal per week for weightloss?

For me it does not change regardless of what exercise goal I put in. 7 days a week @ 1 min gives me 1200... 7 days a week @ 60 mins gives me 1200, 7 days a week @ 300 mins gives me 1200. No matter what setting.... not one movement at all.

I already explained - that is a time goal. It's not supposed to change your calories. MFP expects you to log your exercise daily and eat those calories.
    It is your activity level and weight loss per week goals that affect calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yes, the set up is confusing when it asks for exercise goals. What do you have for a goal per week for weightloss?

For me it does not change regardless of what exercise goal I put in. 7 days a week @ 1 min gives me 1200... 7 days a week @ 60 mins gives me 1200, 7 days a week @ 300 mins gives me 1200. No matter what setting.... not one movement at all.

exercise goals dont affect calorie allotment... the only things that change how many calories yo uhsould get is your activity setting and how many lbs per week you want to lose.

3dogsrunning gave you the best response a while back...
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    It does have to be some kind of glitch cause no way on earth it would never change.

No, it is user error. You get credit for your exercise calories when you log it in your diary.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    It doesn't change due to your exercise goals as you are suppose to add the exercise calories afterwards.

It only changes if you change your weight / height / goal for the week.

Set it to lose 0.5lbs a week and add your exercise in to get those calories added on.

OR

Change it manually to what you want to eat and don't add on your exercise calories - that's what I do. I set it to 1700 cals a day and log all my exercise as 1 calories burns.

It's not a glitch - you are using it wrong.

(edit: oops I type too slow and everyone has beaten me too it.)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

I already explained - that is a time goal. It's not supposed to change your calories. MFP expects you to log your exercise daily and eat those calories.

Yes but as I explained in the very opening post... changing those settings for me DOES NOT change the calories at all. I add my exercise cals...always have & eaten them (well most I can).

I'm betting that when other people change that setting they get at least more than 1200 base. See that's where it's not changing for me. Take out exercise & everyone does not get 1200 regardless of what activity level & goals they set. I tried so many different combos...ALL said 1200. Every single one.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    BTW I do know how to use it. I have been for a while now. It's only in the last month that it's been refusing to go off 1200 at all. I have set mine to my own calories rather than what MFP keep insisting I eat. Mainly because it is broken for me. I remember saying that as well.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    BTW I do know how to use it. I have been for a while now. It's only in the last month that it's been refusing to go off 1200 at all. I have set mine to my own calories rather than what MFP keep insisting I eat. Mainly because it is broken for me. I remember saying that as well.

so if its broken, speak to MFP about it... or open a new account....
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

530 days in a row & open a new account?

Easier to just set my own calories.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

So you know how to get around it and have been doing so for the past month. So the point of this thread was?
  • Navlady
    Navlady Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem I am 5'2'' and weigh 9st 7lb and want to lose 14lbs. On the customised setting I am informed that my calorie allowance is 1200 per day and that by 25 August I should have lost 0.5kg. When I read the information it tells me that my calorie deficit is 250 calories per day hence the slow weight loss projected. When I enter my exercise (as a sedentary person that's not a lot) on my tracker the daily calorie allowance goes up. I have tried entering the information as sedentary, light active etc and it still remains at 1200.

So I customised my goal to 1440 calories per day as recommended on another site and I will still lose 0.5kg by 25 August!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

So you know how to get around it and have been doing so for the part month. So the point of this thread was?

agreed....

what happens if you dont keep your 530 days in a row?! will you put all the weight back on!?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Yes but as I explained in the very opening post... changing those settings for me DOES NOT change the calories at all. I add my exercise cals...always have & eaten them (well most I can).

I'm betting that when other people change that setting they get at least more than 1200 base. See that's where it's not changing for me. Take out exercise & everyone does not get 1200 regardless of what activity level & goals they set. I tried so many different combos...ALL said 1200. Every single one.

Which settings are you referring to because you keep talking about different combinations but give the example of changing only exercise.

To be clear here -
    When you go to my home > goals > change goals > guided, you put in your height, weight, gender and date of birth.

Then you select one of the following -

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

These WILL affect your calorie goal. These are for daily activity like your job and regular life, not exercise.
    When I used your stats and chose a weight loss of .5 or 1 lb week, I only got 1200 for two (sedentary and lightly active at 1 lb a week).

The next option is
    How many times a week do you plan on exercising?
    workouts / week min. / workout

This does NOT affect your calorie goal at all. It is confusing but it is a time/frequency goal.

The last option is your goal weight loss per week goal. .5, 1, 1.5, and 2 lbs a week. This affects your weight loss goal. For you, since you are at a health weigh range, anything over 1 lb a week is going to give you 1200.
    As I noted above, at .5 and 1 lb a week with your stats plugged in, MFP gives more than 1200 for most.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

That is not what your OP implied. Why not post this in the technical support section and specify that this is a new problem instead of creating a post that could potentially confuse new people?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I have the same problem I am 5'2'' and weigh 9st 7lb and want to lose 14lbs. On the customised setting I am informed that my calorie allowance is 1200 per day and that by 25 August I should have lost 0.5kg. When I read the information it tells me that my calorie deficit is 250 calories per day hence the slow weight loss projected. When I enter my exercise (as a sedentary person that's not a lot) on my tracker the daily calorie allowance goes up. I have tried entering the information as sedentary, light active etc and it still remains at 1200.

So I customised my goal to 1440 calories per day as recommended on another site and I will still lose 0.5kg by 25 August!

Please read 3dogsrunning's post above. It is working correctly you just aren't understanding how it works.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I think it's because you chose to lose 2 pounds a week. Choose less and see what happens!!!

And if you're exercising, it will allow you to eat more than that, but you have to log the exercise.

I actually have it to lose 0.5kg a week. So not even half a lb a week. It does not change for me

There are 2.2 lbs in a kilogram. So half a kilo is a little over 1 lb.

Like I said, notify the website because there is a glitch in your account or something. Using your stats I get more than 1200 with a 1 lb a week goal.

Because I think the response was missed, it needs to be highlighted again. kg and lb are not the same.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference to me. I set my own one anyway via another site. Pity though that I can't trust the site with this simple task though really. I'm so glad I now go via the cals Fitbit's website gives me to eat daily. I'd starve. In fact that would mean for 530 days I would have been starving myself in a big way.

I've never used fitbit, but doesn't connecting your profile to the fitbit mean that it automatically adjusts your calories based on your activity? Maybe since it's supposed to automatically adjust based on the info sent from fitbit, it defaults to 1200.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I seriously give up trying to explain. Really. How hard is it to explain to everyone?

Settings of activity level have no meaning for MY amount...1200 is ALL I get give (before I do exercise)...no matter the setting. There are 4 of these.

Setting changes of amount to lose each week have NO meaning for MY amount...1200 is ALL I get before exercise.

I know how to eat cals back for exercise & have done so since day 1. I know how to set my own calories and have done so since day 1.

Now think about how changing those 2 settings gives other people in any combination more than 1200 before exercise..... so why is is not for me? This is the please explain part.

I'm not asking HOW to use the site, I know how to. I am not asking how to set my own cals, nor how to eat the ones I burn.

I am curious as to why no matter what settings I have on there I can not go above 1200 calories for my NET (before exercise)

But I give up explaining. Just carry on without me. I'm going to bed,
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I seriously give up trying to explain. Really. How hard is it to explain to everyone?

Settings of activity level have no meaning for MY amount...1200 is ALL I get give (before I do exercise)...no matter the setting. There are 4 of these.

Setting changes of amount to lose each week have NO meaning for MY amount...1200 is ALL I get before exercise.

I know how to eat cals back for exercise & have done so since day 1. I know how to set my own calories and have done so since day 1.

Now think about how changing those 2 settings gives other people in any combination more than 1200 before exercise..... so why is is not for me? This is the please explain part.

I'm not asking HOW to use the site, I know how to. I am not asking how to set my own cals, nor how to eat the ones I burn.

I am curious as to why no matter what settings I have on there I can not go above 1200 calories for my NET (before exercise)

But I give up explaining. Just carry on without me. I'm going to bed,

Your pounds per week. You said you set them to 0.5kg. Is that a typo on your behalf, or is it a setting you need to review?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Impossible to say without more information. What is your age, height, weight, and goal weight? What did you choose for "I want to lose X amount of pounds per week"?

MFP will deduct 1,000 calories from your estimated needs if you choose 2 pounds per week, 750 for 1.5 pounds per week, 500 for 1 pound per week, 250 for half a pound per week.

But it will not go below 1,200. So if you are a small person and MFP estimates that your calorie needs are, say, 1450 (without exercise), your answer is going to be 1200.

You may be better off calculating your TDEE (your calorie needs including exercise), and setting your own custom goal taking a % deficit from that. The % deficit depends on how much you still need to lose.