Cut down sugar challenge!

Options
Hi all! I am trying to get out of a weight loss plateau and get healthier overall by cutting down on added sugar. I will give you the disclaimer of extreme for me may not be the same as extreme for you. I eat a lot of candy, particularly in the evenings, and I do use sweetened creamer in my coffee. My plan for the next 10 days is:
1. Milk instead of creamer in my coffee
2. No sugar, honey or artificial sweeteners (including stevia, sucralose, etc) added to any of my meals
3. One small piece of chocolate allowed for dessert each day.
4. Fruit is ok

Who is with me?! Post below if you are interested and your own personal goals. We will plan to post how we did every evening and be a source of motivation to one another!

Replies

• stephaniejoy1618
    Options
    This is similar to my goal! However, I can't stand the taste of water. I use the Propel drink mixes w/ every 32oz. of water. I've been trying to cut out coffee, but I will occasionally have 1-3 cups per week. I also add a little Splenda to that. I eat a lot of fruits as well! I've cut out candy and chocolate completely though. That's the hard part for me! I love chocolate. Good luck!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Same here...but I do use sugar free creamer and have sugar free werther caramels around for "emergencies". It feels good to get the sugar problem under control!

We eat fruit, but no processed sugar.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes I am in! Yours are very similar to my goals. I LOVE chocolate and about a year ago I cut it down by a lot and lost 15 lbs, then for work I was doing some really extreme remote field work for weeks at a time where I didn't have time to eat and ran out of food a few times. I'd get back to civilization and then have 3 days to eat as much as possible before going back into the wilderness again. So I got into this sort of "feast and famine" situation. Then field work season ended and now I'm struggling to get out of the feast part. Chocolate is my crutch (dark chocolate, hot chocolate, nutella, chocolate cake) and some days/weeks I can keep it to a minimum, but others I end up over-indulging, and now seem to need more and more to satisfy the cravings. I've gained 10 of the 15 pounds back. I will cut it out for 10 days then see how I feel, maybe slowly reintroduce it into my diet. I will open my food diary for accountability. I always log everything. I find that if I eat something with added/refined sugar (not sugar combined with fibre), then I become a sugar-fiend for the rest of the day.

1. No added sugar treats apart from one piece per day of the home-made chocolate peanut butter protein bites I made yesterday.
    2. Fruit is okay. The fibre combined with the sugar fills me up enough that I don't feel the need to keep eating.
  • coffeeaddict882
    coffeeaddict882 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Just checking in how the first day went. I will say, for me it was pretty easy until about 2-3pm and was even harder after dinner despite having my one allowed dessert. I stuck to it, and if nothing else it made me realize how much unhealthy sweet binging i have been doing after dinner by noting what feeling it was that I wasn't letting myself act on. It was also hard when my husband ate bread pudding with ice cream and hot chocolate for dessert!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this (successfully) for about 6 weeks now so feel fee to friend me and ask any questions. For the record I was going through 1 of the large bottles coffee creamer per week plus copious amounts of chocolate and other candy so it was not pleasant. A few things I found that help:
    date rolls - very sweet and filling but with no added sugar
    no-sugar added chocolate protein powder + unsweetened cocoa powder in fruit smoothies
    mint leaves and raspberries in water or green tea for some flavor
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am also trying something similar.
    I am on week 7 now of an 8-week sugar kicking program. I am not eat anything with added fructose. I am also staying away from dried fruit, sugar, honey, agave and artificial sweeteners. I do eat whole fruit but I try to stick to low fructose fruit such as berries and kiwi fruit. I did cut out fruit for about 4 weeks to try and make my pallet adjust to reduces sweetness in my diet. I did miss fruit when I couldn't have it but now that I am used to food that is not sweet I don't really want it anymore. Looking forward to reading all of your posts and watching your progress.
  • Treehugger_88
    Options
    @coffeeaddict882 Way to go on day 1! I had already eaten chocolate when I replied to your post yesterday morning so my day 1 is today lol.

@Riskay123 Wow I can't imagine cutting out fruit too! I think I would go crazy! I am vegetarian by choice, HATE everything about meat, so fruit makes up a large part of my diet, especially drupes.
  • coffeeaddict882
    Options
    Hey guys, how did the day go?! I had a similar midday craving but do feel that now that my breakfasts have been savory rather than sweet, that sets me up a little better for success. Knowing that I get a piece of chocolate or two at the end of the day is helpful too. Day 2 down, let me know how your day (no matter what day you're on) went!
  • Riskay123
    Options
    My day has been pretty good. No sugar eaten here except one small kiwi fruit this afternoon.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't do sugar or sweeteners (unless it's stevia or erythritol) and haven't for nearly 3 years. That's no ice cream, sweets, cakes, biscuits, soft drink, beer etc and only berries for fruit or the occasional piece of rock melon. It does get easier the longer you stick to it. In New Zealand there's an 'I Quit Sugar' program which is very popular and has good success.
  • Riskay123
    Options
    Thats the program i'm doing. I am loving it. The meal plans make it easy and they support you the whole way through.
  • Treehugger_88
    Options
    Yesterday went well! Had some blueberries for dessert. Mid-afternoon is also tough for me, but I will have tea/coffee or fruit instead of chocolate.

Keep it up!
  • coffeeaddict882
    Options
    Great job everybody!
  • coffeeaddict882
    Options
    How's everybody's day going? I had a little more dessert that I planned today but I'm staying positive and motivated. Still did well during the day and still doing better compared to normal.
  • Treehugger_88
    Options
    I'm still good on the sugar front. I've been having some blueberries and a few tbsp of natural peanut butter as snack/dessert. And staying within my calories!
  • Riskay123
    Options
    All good today. They had cake fruit and cheese platters at work today. I ate the cheese only so feeling pretty good about that.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm a sugar addict. Plan is to stay under my sugar allowance on mfp
  • Treehugger_88
    Options
    Well I didn't have any sugar today but was really craving it and went over my calorie allowance with peanut butter and sunflower seeds. Tomorrow will be better!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My office had root beer floats today. I had to turn mine down, didn't fit in my grams :( Did get a half a cup of ice cream with chocolate sauce, though. It is hard to come up with meals and snacks without sugar, though! Had an egg with cheese for supper, might get a buttered toast yet, if I'm still hungry after a while. Really craving a sugary drink
  • Riskay123
    Options
    I didn't eat any sugar today they did have big fruit platter at work today and I was tempted to grab some water melon but I held out