1235»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    butcher206 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I drink an irresponsible amount of Diet Coke.

It's super addicting. There's a lot of brain chemistry manipulation going on, and it's deeply psychological as well.
    No. No. And No.

You have people in this thread talking about how they drink up to 6 liters a day, or have been drinking it for 25+ years, and you're going to say it's not addicting at all?

I've been drinking liquids including diet sodas for 25+ years because I like being alive.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love the "Diet Coke"
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Coke zero and cherry coke zero for life.
  • butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

It's super addicting. There's a lot of brain chemistry manipulation going on, and it's deeply psychological as well.
    No. No. And No.

You have people in this thread talking about how they drink up to 6 liters a day, or have been drinking it for 25+ years, and you're going to say it's not addicting at all?

That's correct. Diet soda isn't addictive. If it is caffeinated, there are addictive properties to caffeine, but that is not in every diet soda and not exclusive to diet soda....

For what it's worth, I have consumed diet soda for ~25 years and given it up twice for pregnancy and a few times for Lent. Never experienced withdrawals or physical side effects.

Also, it was posted at the top of the thread, but you may want to give this a read:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

I never mentioned aspartame or said that it was scary. You seem to be viewing "addicted" in the traditional medical sense, as characterized by tolerance and physical withdrawal, and I meant it in the broad sense; "persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful".

Let me ask you: why did you give it up for your pregnancy? Maybe because you know / were told by your health care practitioner that it contains harmful ingredients that could have negatively impacted your child's health?

I'm not arguing with you, we're just not viewing my original statement the same way, so let me clarify myself. Almost everybody drinks diet soda as a replacement for sugar reward-stimulus (regular soda replacement) and what I mean by "super addicting", "deeply psychological", and "brain chemistry manipulation" is merely that the user is attempting to replicate this common sugar fix stimuli. In reality the brain sees artificial sweeteners as something else completely; not as sugar. This increases habituation, or more plainly creates the need to drink larger and larger amounts of diet soda. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

I'm not here to demonize diet soda, and definitely not aspartame, which like I said I never even brought up to begin with. Although it'd be pretty easy to demonize diet coke for other reasons; I mean just off the top of my head I could tell you it contains large amounts of 4-methylimidazole, a known carcinogenic compound, and that's just to start... lol. Anyway I know you're going to ignore all of this and continue on with your day; have a good one!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am habituated to a shot of Kefir daily too. Is that bad?
  • Kittykatally86
    Kittykatally86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    LOVE Diet Coke!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • scubagram
    scubagram Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Diet coke, coke zero, diet Dr. Pepper, diet ginger ale, diet root beer, sprite zero, or diet 7-up; anything but diet Pepsi... it's gross!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,826 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It might be because when I was little, the prescribed treatment for an upset stomach/nausea/vomiting was Coke syrup over crushed ice. Does anyone else remember that? I think I came to associate the flavor with feeling unwell.

My mother was told to give us 7UP for tummy issues when I was little. Never heard of the syrup-ice thing. That sounds disgusting!

I thought ginger ale was the go-to for stomach flu? that's what I remember.

ETA: I see someone else here mentioned it too.

Back to the thread...I like Diet Coke with Lime. I do the same thing if I get a diet Coke with vodka or rum - I ask for a lemon or lime wedge to squeeze into it.
    Although lately I've been drinking a lot of Arrowhead fizzy water. More thirst quenching for me than plain water.
  • butcher206
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    It might be because when I was little, the prescribed treatment for an upset stomach/nausea/vomiting was Coke syrup over crushed ice. Does anyone else remember that? I think I came to associate the flavor with feeling unwell.

My mother was told to give us 7UP for tummy issues when I was little. Never heard of the syrup-ice thing. That sounds disgusting!

I thought ginger ale was the go-to for stomach flu? that's what I remember.

ETA: I see someone else here mentioned it too.

Back to the thread...I like Diet Coke with Lime. I do the same thing if I get a diet Coke with vodka or rum - I ask for a lemon or lime wedge to squeeze into it.
    Although lately I've been drinking a lot of Arrowhead fizzy water. More thirst quenching for me than plain water.

Have you tried La-Croix? It's pretty delicious; especially the ones containing fruit essence and not "Natural Flavors"
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options

No. No. And No.

That's correct. Diet soda isn't addictive. If it is caffeinated, there are addictive properties to caffeine, but that is not in every diet soda and not exclusive to diet soda....

For what it's worth, I have consumed diet soda for ~25 years and given it up twice for pregnancy and a few times for Lent. Never experienced withdrawals or physical side effects.

Also, it was posted at the top of the thread, but you may want to give this a read:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

I never mentioned aspartame or said that it was scary. You seem to be viewing "addicted" in the traditional medical sense, as characterized by tolerance and physical withdrawal, and I meant it in the broad sense; "persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful".

Let me ask you: why did you give it up for your pregnancy? Maybe because you know / were told by your health care practitioner that it contains harmful ingredients that could have negatively impacted your child's health?

I'm not arguing with you, we're just not viewing my original statement the same way, so let me clarify myself. Almost everybody drinks diet soda as a replacement for sugar reward-stimulus (regular soda replacement) and what I mean by "super addicting", "deeply psychological", and "brain chemistry manipulation" is merely that the user is attempting to replicate this common sugar fix stimuli. In reality the brain sees artificial sweeteners as something else completely; not as sugar. This increases habituation, or more plainly creates the need to drink larger and larger amounts of diet soda. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

!

But diet soda isn't known by the user to be harmful - although i could understand someone giving it up in pregnancy on account of the caffeine - the way some people switch to decaf coffee in pregnancy.

As I have said in these threads before, I regularly drink diet sodas, probably on average about 3 cans/week

But I am addicted to weetbix - have had them for breakfast most days for around 25 years
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I found out I was diabetic last January. I changed my diet and exercise..my life really.

Losing weight and getting healthier. I am on no meds. One of the things I did was cut out "pop" or "soda"

BTW..what do you call it? Pop...Soda?

Anyway..I do now have a diet coke from time to time. Used to hate diet pop..now, I find it enjoyable.

I replaced soda..with carbonated water. Klarbrunn. Makes it seem like I'm drinking "pop".

• butcher206
    Options

No. No. And No.

!

But diet soda isn't known by the user to be harmful
    Thanks for bringing that up; that was part of the "Deeply psychological" thing that I mentioned but I neglected to expand upon. Most people also substitute soda with diet soda because or/and justify it with the thinking "it isn't soda" or "this is a better option than 'regular' soda". There's all sorts of mental gymnastics that occur: aspartame is safe to consume and a better alternative to sugar, no calories is better than empty calories and still satisfy the soda craving; I mean it's right there on the name of the cans. "Diet" coke. Most people think "diet" = having to restrict yourself from the things you love to lose weight. "I can't have soda because I'm on a diet and soda is bad... but wait, this is "diet soda" not soda! I can have this! I can have as much as I want of it too!" And there-in lies a major psychological component. It IS regular soda. It's just marketing that makes people think it's better, when in reality it's highly highly corrosive and horrible for your health especially in massive quantities. And here we are on a Calories In < Calories Out platform, built on the very idea that you can eat what you want as long as you control the amounts, and I think the marketing and psychology behind diet sodas is largely illogical and flawed.

Look; obviously not everyone drinks diet soda for these reasons, even in this thread there's plenty of evidence and people that directly contradict this. I feel like I'm being super negative in this thread and wnat to say that's not my intention. I still enjoy 'diet' soda every now and then it's arrogant and hypocritical to think others don't as well. I don't want to ruin that for anybody else! People can do what they want, I don't want to drag anybodys mood down, only encourage and support.
  • butcher206
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I disagree.

I dont think there is any deeply psychological thing going on at all - nor do people need to do mental gymnastics to justify drinking diet soda.

Nor does the can neccesarily say diet on it - coke zero and pepsi max don't at all, for example.

and 'it isnt diet soda - it IS regular soda' - that is a nonsense statement.

No, regular soda has lots of sugar and calories, hence people swap to diet version to avoid one or both of those

Or they just like the taste.

k

You can nitpick apart every single sentence one at a time and argue petty details and semantics all day; they're all Soft Drinks. I'm not going back and forth especially when you claim "I disagree" then type one of my examples from the quote you're disagreeing with

Amazing

Anyway un-starring this topic and moving on
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Used to drink Diet Pepsi...now prefer Coke Zero :)