2000 gross calories per day

I am an athlete so I exercise 90 min to 2.5 hours per day of cardio. 90 min per day is average which to get my 1200 net calories means I must eat 2000 per day. This seemed really high at first but this is working for me.. I am not hungry or starving and I am losing the suggested 2 lb per week. Any other girls in similar situations? With suggestions or tips?

Is anyone else in this boat? :)

Replies

• Majesticblondee26
    Majesticblondee26 Posts: 11 Member
    Also i drink 3 liters of water a day which may explain the lack of hunger lol
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,181 Member
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3519021&d=1310193169

Effect of Two Different Weight-Loss Rates
    on Body Composition and Strength
    and Power-Related Performance in Elite Athletes

Ina Garthe, Truls Raastad, Per Egil Refsnes, Anu Koivisto, and Jorunn Sundgot-Borgen
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    2000 gross calories per day is not a lot for a woman who is active, let alone an athlete. How many pounds do you have to lose total? 2 pounds per week is probably too aggressive a goal unless you have over 75 pounds to lose.

There's a thread updated recently for women who eat 1800 calories a day and IIRC many women on it say they eat more, but alas, the search feature is failing me.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    I am an athlete so I exercise 90 min to 2.5 hours per day of cardio. 90 min per day is average which to get my 1200 net calories means I must eat 2000 per day. This seemed really high at first but this is working for me.. I am not hungry or starving and I am losing the suggested 2 lb per week. Any other girls in similar situations? With suggestions or tips?

Weight
    Body fat%

Goal weight

I'll post your calories needed.
  • Majesticblondee26
    Majesticblondee26 Posts: 11 Member
    5'9"
    138 lbs
    No idea but it's average or below average

125 lbs
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    5'9"
    138 lbs

125 lbs

Well I calculator I use seemed way off at first, based on what you said, but I guess not on second though... It says 2470calories would be maintanance for you, which means you should lose 1lb per week....However, it only seems to go up to 60-90minutes per day of exercise for the activity level unless you put Exercise + physical labor as a job, which brings it past 2700 so maybe it's not so off...it just is not a calculator that would be used for someone as active as you I guess? I guess if you have a decent metabolic rate you're just a little over average them.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member

I'm a little concerned that you think 2,000 calories seems high. There are days that I burn 2,000 calories on exercise alone. You should watch the rate at which you are losing weight. 2 lbs per week is aggressive for someone of your weight. If you are losing more than that, you need to eat more.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Lol for your stats to maintain weight at that activity you'd need nearly 2500 a day!

Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1748
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2003
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2258
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2513
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2768
  • Hello_its_Dan
    edited February 2017
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Lol for your stats to maintain weight at that activity you'd need nearly 2500 a day!

Daily Calories
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2768

Dan, kindly re-read. She is losing at the selected rate of 2lbs a week while eating 2000. i.e. her implied TDEE is at 3K.

I read it just fine. ;)

Btw ideal weight 5'9" 129-153 depending on composition and build.
    If she is an athlete and didn't have to make weight for any specific sport, she should simply focus on recomp.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    What's the question ?
  • TimothyFish

Daily Calories

90 - 150 minutes of cardio per day is well beyond the typical "Very Active" which is probably assuming that a workout is 1 hour in length. It is also beyond the "Extremely Active" status. TDEE calculators can provide a starting point when real data (calorie intake, weekly weigh-ins, etc.) isn't available, but when we have the real data we should use it instead of assuming that a TDEE calculator can give us an accurate answer.
  • Hello_its_Dan

Daily Calories

Dan, kindly re-read. She is losing at the selected rate of 2lbs a week while eating 2000. i.e. her implied TDEE is at 3K.

I read it just fine. ;)

If she is an athlete and didn't have to make weight for any specific sport, she should simply focus on recomp.

I am confused.

You are saying you read just fine that she is losing 2lbs a week while eating 2000 Cal a day, i.e. an implied TDEE of 3000, and you quote a calculated TDEE of 2500.

Are you saying that because of her lean-ness she is likely to be losing fat to lean mass on as bad as a 1:1 ratio and as such the implied loss is only ~4100Cal, making her implied TDEE ~2585 i.e. close to your 2513?

Or????

(confused as to what you're suggesting other than the fact that she should probably reduce her deficit considerably).

I agree, you're confused.

First, if she's an athlete why is her bonehead coach not monitoring her intake?

Secondly, losing at that rate will effect her performance due to loss of muscle!

My tip was to eat more so she's not losing weight or not losing so fast.
    She stated she's losing the suggested 2lb per week but a person of her build shouldn't be losing at 2lb per week. The pendulum swings both ways. In my experience she'll most likely exercise like this till she plateaus, then add more exercise or reduce calories or both.... This is where things get real dicey! Next she'll probably see physiological issues like female athlete triad. Or binge restriction cycling. Just speculating off of experience.

So my first post was asking for clarification on her stats.

I ran her numbers according to her activity , usually over estimated by the client, suggested calories based on that information.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    5'9"
    138 lbs

125 lbs

People with only 13 pounds to lose shouldn't have a weekly weight loss goal of more than a half pound per week. More than that creates too aggressive a deficit.

However, given that you are already at a good weight for your height and an athlete if anything you should look into body recomposition.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2017
    5'9"
    138 lbs

125 lbs

A net of 1200 calories is too low for your stats. A rate of loss of 2lbs a week is too high for your stats.

I am 5'9" and aim for a net of 1800 to 2000. I am shooting for losing 0.5 to 1 lb a week. I am mostly likely larger framed than you are, but my goal is 145lbs. I shoot for a weekly average of 2000, which means I gross anywhere from 1600 to 3000 calories a day.
  • TimothyFish

Daily Calories

I read it just fine. ;)

I am confused.

You are saying you read just fine that she is losing 2lbs a week while eating 2000 Cal a day, i.e. an implied TDEE of 3000, and you quote a calculated TDEE of 2500.

Are you saying that because of her lean-ness she is likely to be losing fat to lean mass on as bad as a 1:1 ratio and as such the implied loss is only ~4100Cal, making her implied TDEE ~2585 i.e. close to your 2513?

Or????

(confused as to what you're suggesting other than the fact that she should probably reduce her deficit considerably).

Secondly, losing at that rate will effect her performance due to loss of muscle!

She stated she's losing the suggested 2lb per week but a person of her build shouldn't be losing at 2lb per week. The pendulum swings both ways. In my experience she'll most likely exercise like this till she plateaus, then add more exercise or reduce calories or both.... This is where things get real dicey! Next she'll probably see physiological issues like female athlete triad. Or binge restriction cycling. Just speculating off of experience.

I ran her numbers according to her activity , usually over estimated by the client, suggested calories based on that information.

One doesn't have to have a coach to be an athlete. An athlete is anyone who is proficient at a sport or a form of exercise.
  • steph_runn44
    steph_runn44 Posts: 28 Member
    I played basketball in college and worked out all the time. I ate basically whatever I wanted because I worked out so much and so hard. We had a strength coach who looked at our body fat and weight basically monthly. We had to fill out nutrition journals a few times a year and they would make adjustments if we needed it. All of the teams had someone who would do this. What you're doing doesn't seem healthy. What sport?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

When I was eating 2,000 calories/day, I was losing about 2 pounds/week. Since that's unhealthily fast unless the person is obese, I increased my intake until I got to the point where I was only losing 1 pound/week - which is a good rate for me because I'm still in the "overweight" category.

People who are already at a healthy weight should not be looking to lose more than 0.5 pounds/week. So, I don't know who suggested 2 pounds/week for you - but you should seriously look at increasing your calorie intake and setting a more conservative weight loss goal. I still lose 1 pound/week eating more than 2,000 calories/day - and I'm older than you, shorter than you and probably less active than you.

(If you're a wrestler or similar looking to "make weight" for a competition, that's a different discussion that mostly involves what types of food to eat to drop water weight for a couple of days.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Daily Calories

90 - 150 minutes of cardio per day is well beyond the typical "Very Active" which is probably assuming that a workout is 1 hour in length. It is also beyond the "Extremely Active" status. TDEE calculators can provide a starting point when real data (calorie intake, weekly weigh-ins, etc.) isn't available, but when we have the real data we should use it instead of assuming that a TDEE calculator can give us an accurate answer.

I can do anywhere between 150-190 minutes of exercise per day, but this consists of just walking, absolutely nothing hardcore! I have to spend that much time to get decent calorie burns. Extremely active just doesnt correspond with what i do.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    edited February 2017

Daily Calories

I read it just fine. ;)

I am confused.

Or????

One doesn't have to have a coach to be an athlete. An athlete is anyone who is proficient at a sport or a form of exercise.

Agreed, however most athletes have basic nutrition/physiology knowledge.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm not sure I'm totally understanding this conversation, but if it helps, this last week my averages were ~1400 net, ~1900 total. It has been a particularly active week, but I'm not an athlete. Anyone with using NEAT will see a big difference between net and total calories when doing a lot of exercise, it's just how the system works. And it does work for me, I lose weight as expected. I have no trouble eating more when I'm active - I'm much happier on the higher calories.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    I'm not sure the OP is an athlete at all, she's not answered any questions about it.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    I'm not sure the OP is an athlete at all, she's not answered any questions about it.

I'm not sure it really matters whether or not she's an athlete. She currently has a BMI of 20.4 and is aiming for a weight corresponding to the absolute bottom of the healthy BMI range (18.5). She's approaching this by aiming to lose 2 pounds/week - and reports that she is, in fact losing 2 pounds/week.

Athlete or not, she's undereating. She does not "need" to lose weight; she's aiming for vanity pounds - and those are best dealt with very slowly so as to avoid losing muscle mass.

^voice of reason!