2000 gross calories per day

2»

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    I'm not sure the OP is an athlete at all, she's not answered any questions about it.

I'm not sure it really matters whether or not she's an athlete. She currently has a BMI of 20.4 and is aiming for a weight corresponding to the absolute bottom of the healthy BMI range (18.5). She's approaching this by aiming to lose 2 pounds/week - and reports that she is, in fact losing 2 pounds/week.

Athlete or not, she's undereating. She does not "need" to lose weight; she's aiming for vanity pounds - and those are best dealt with very slowly so as to avoid losing muscle mass.

I mentioned because SHE did, as if that was some justification for all of the exercise she was supposedly doing. I don't think she needs to lose either. I think "vanity pounds" is accurate.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,181 Member
    I'm not sure the OP is an athlete at all, she's not answered any questions about it.

I'm not sure it really matters whether or not she's an athlete. She currently has a BMI of 20.4 and is aiming for a weight corresponding to the absolute bottom of the healthy BMI range (18.5). She's approaching this by aiming to lose 2 pounds/week - and reports that she is, in fact losing 2 pounds/week.

Athlete or not, she's undereating. She does not "need" to lose weight; she's aiming for vanity pounds - and those are best dealt with very slowly so as to avoid losing muscle mass.

^voice of reason!

Look, I can agree with Dan when he's right!!!
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    We don't really have to dig too far beyond the name of the thread.
    What does "gross calories" presuppose?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

???

Gross income = income before deductions. So, gross calories = total calories consumed (as opposed to the "net calories" after exercise is "deducted"). I don't think it's got anything to do with the calories being gross-as-in-icky.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member

t96fe60ffa2o.jpg
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Lol total facepalm moment!
    I've worked too many hours today and I'm going to bed! Lol

I thought Gross as in disgusting.
    Goodnight MFP!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member

Goodnight MFP!

There's got to be a 'gross sleep' joke in there somewhere, but my brain isn't cooperating. lol
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,724 Member
    My guess for the OP's sport is distance runner. Oh boy I hope I'm right!!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member

Goodnight MFP!

In fairness, myfitnesspal doesn't use the term "gross", it calls them "total calories" - probably to avoid this confusion!
  • Hello_its_Dan

Goodnight MFP!

In fairness, myfitnesspal doesn't use the term "gross", it calls them "total calories" - probably to avoid this confusion!

I switched from a Nutrition degree to psychology. I guess the word triggered something in me. Hey if we cannot laugh at ourselves.... Right?
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    At that BMI, I don't know too many athletes (barring gymnastics, figure skating - which the OP is too tall for) who need to lose that much weight for performance reasons. Unless you count dancing/bikini/bodybuilding competition a sport (which I don't..) then that's a different story.