The age old "You can't target areas of fat, lifting" BS!

Options

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    I worked out with a guy that was over weight, 335 lbs. Didn't do the typical cardio or diet thing. Weight still the same now but he has been blasting his shoulders with super hi reps and is strong as hell. His shoulders have striations front and back but every where else is the same as before. So to say you can't target certain areas and lose fat in that specific area seems bogus.

If he hasn't lost weight, he would have been eating at maintenance, making it easier for him to build muscle than eating in a deficit would. I would suspect that he has built up his shoulders more than anywhere else, which has given them more definition than elsewhere. And perhaps he has a tendency to lose fat there sooner than he does other areas.

So you can lose weight faster in certain areas than others. But that wouldn't be targeting. Hasn't changed his diet or anything. Just seemed weird to be that overweight and see striations.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If anyone figures out how to do it, let me know *shakes fists at banana rolls* :p

Yeah, I'd like me legs from the knee up to catch on to the number of squats and lunges and dance training (when I was younger) and slim the heck down faster/ change their shape to be less top heavy!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I worked out with a guy that was over weight, 335 lbs. Didn't do the typical cardio or diet thing. Weight still the same now but he has been blasting his shoulders with super hi reps and is strong as hell. His shoulders have striations front and back but every where else is the same as before. So to say you can't target certain areas and lose fat in that specific area seems bogus.

If he hasn't lost weight, he would have been eating at maintenance, making it easier for him to build muscle than eating in a deficit would. I would suspect that he has built up his shoulders more than anywhere else, which has given them more definition than elsewhere. And perhaps he has a tendency to lose fat there sooner than he does other areas.

So you can lose weight faster in certain areas than others. But that wouldn't be targeting. Hasn't changed his diet or anything. Just seemed weird to be that overweight and see striations.

Definitely you can lose faster in some areas than others. My calves lean out first and then my thighs. That's all before my shoulders and arms and definitely before stomach.

I do agree that it would be weird to see a guy that big with striations.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited February 2017
    Options
    He does what he calls cardio benching, 135 lbs for 4 to 6 fatigue sets in a row. We're talking 75 reps first set then it dwindles down, 300-400 total reps. Chest starting to show striations now. I've done his chest routine with him and 225 lbs til you reach 250 reps. I thought I was gonna die,lol.

Like over training a certain muscle, been watching too much CT Fletcher.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I could sayBMI is BS for muscular guys but I'd be shot down on this too.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    He does what he calls cardio benching, 135 lbs for 4 to 6 fatigue sets in a row. We're talking 75 reps first set then it dwindles down, 300-400 total reps. Chest starting to show striations now. I've done his chest routine with him and 225 lbs til you reach 250 reps. I thought I was gonna die,lol.

Why is he only training one muscle group? And why the high reps? Didn't think more than 20 reps per set (which is usually at a lower weight) was necessary and was considered overtraining.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

That group is already a known outlier for BMI though. Not really anything to debate on that.

I'm wondering what his back training is like.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    And does he have chicken legs (relatively for a guy his size).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Not really...

I'm not hugely muscular or anything...in my profile picture I'm about 180 and 12-15% BF...healthy BF%, but overweight by BMI standards.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    And does he have chicken legs (relatively for a guy his size).

A that'd be a NO. lol
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

Why is he only training one muscle group? And why the high reps? Didn't think more than 20 reps per set (which is usually at a lower weight) was necessary and was considered overtraining.

He works everything just over trains some things cuz those are his favs. He consider tris and calves a major muscle group too,lol.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Look if I didn't put BS in the title, no one would have commented.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Sort of off topic, but I follow a girl who is sub 15% body fat (per bod pod test) and hardly has striations/shreds at all. Having a solid muscle base makes a huge difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Sort of off topic, but I follow a girl who is sub 15% body fat (per bod pod test) and hardly has striations/shreds at all. Having a solid muscle base makes a huge difference.

That's kind of funny because I was about to post something similar...my buddies ex is rail thin and has about nothing for body fat...or muscle. She has no striations...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

He works everything just over trains some things cuz those are his favs. He consider tris and calves a major muscle group too,lol.

So he loses fat from his shoulders and chest first is all. That's why the muscles are showing there more than other areas. I'm not working out much (beginner weights is all) but have lost most of my fat where my collar bones are. Still have a 44W though. Just the way things are. If I could target, I'd target my belly first.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

So he loses fat from his shoulders and chest first is all. That's why the muscles are showing there more than other areas. I'm not working out much (beginner weights is all) but have lost most of my fat where my collar bones are. Still have a 44W though. Just the way things are. If I could target, I'd target my belly first.

So he loses fat from his shoulders and chest first.....why?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

genetics
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited February 2017
    Options

genetics

Are we guessing? Cuz I've seen his parents.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The same way the next person loses from their legs or arms first...