The age old "You can't target areas of fat, lifting" BS!

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »
    He does what he calls cardio benching, 135 lbs for 4 to 6 fatigue sets in a row. We're talking 75 reps first set then it dwindles down, 300-400 total reps. Chest starting to show striations now. I've done his chest routine with him and 225 lbs til you reach 250 reps. I thought I was gonna die,lol.

Like over training a certain muscle, been watching too much CT Fletcher.

Why is he only training one muscle group? And why the high reps? Didn't think more than 20 reps per set (which is usually at a lower weight) was necessary and was considered overtraining.

He works everything just over trains some things cuz those are his favs. He consider tris and calves a major muscle group too,lol.

So he loses fat from his shoulders and chest first is all. That's why the muscles are showing there more than other areas. I'm not working out much (beginner weights is all) but have lost most of my fat where my collar bones are. Still have a 44W though. Just the way things are. If I could target, I'd target my belly first.

So he loses fat from his shoulders and chest first.....why?

Genetics...I lose fat from my extremities first...then my neck...then my face, etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    He does what he calls cardio benching, 135 lbs for 4 to 6 fatigue sets in a row. We're talking 75 reps first set then it dwindles down, 300-400 total reps. Chest starting to show striations now. I've done his chest routine with him and 225 lbs til you reach 250 reps. I thought I was gonna die,lol.

Why is he only training one muscle group? And why the high reps? Didn't think more than 20 reps per set (which is usually at a lower weight) was necessary and was considered overtraining.

He works everything just over trains some things cuz those are his favs. He consider tris and calves a major muscle group too,lol.

So he loses fat from his shoulders and chest first is all. That's why the muscles are showing there more than other areas. I'm not working out much (beginner weights is all) but have lost most of my fat where my collar bones are. Still have a 44W though. Just the way things are. If I could target, I'd target my belly first.

genetics

genetics

genetics

Are we guessing? Cuz I've seen his parents.

nope...some people lose fat from certain areas faster than others do from other areas...

not sure why that is such a difficult concept to grasp...

take your argument and flip it around. if spot training is not a myth then we can't we all just reduce fat from where we want?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    As a matter of fact I've seen his uncles,aunts, grand parents. I know this cuz he's my brother. We are same height 6'3 but a different type of genetic, he got equal from both sides, I got my father's side.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    As a matter of fact I've seen his uncles,aunts, grand parents. I know this cuz he's my brother. We are same height 6'3 but a different type of genetic, he got equal from both sides, I got my father's side.

and you know the body composition of your entire genetic family tree?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

You're taking 'genetics' too literally...

But it's a fun topic to discuss. Unless I offend someone's nutritional manhood.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited February 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    So, you worked out with "a guy," that now happens to be your brother, that does 75-rep sets of 135 on bench?

Yes, I do believe BS is in the air.

I put BS in the topic because had I not, there wouldn't be this much response. But as for BS on him being my brother, it was because a question about genetics or if you doubt he is strong then I wonder why. I must have touched on a nerve or something. You doubt 75 rep because you power lift? Yeah I did it for twelve years and....
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I worked out with a guy that was over weight, 335 lbs. Didn't do the typical cardio or diet thing. Weight still the same now but he has been blasting his shoulders with super hi reps and is strong as hell. His shoulders have striations front and back but every where else is the same as before. So to say you can't target certain areas and lose fat in that specific area seems bogus.

I'm not the Sci-fi nutrition guy, so I just wanted to know. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it myself.

He was probably in recomp and your extremities are generally the first place far leaves, he also may have increased the total muscle in that area through supersets resulting in enough muscle to show definition.

Deadlifts require the entire body to preform right? Well quite a few of us do them weekly yet we still have fat stores. They destroy my obliques and lats yet those are areas with higher fat concentrations for me.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Interesting. I'm not sure 2 studies that focused on arms only would constitute 'proved' but it is interesting data.

Nothing in science can be proved. We haven't even been able to prove that the sun will rise tomorrow, never mind that fat can't be spot reduced. We'll just have to be satisfied knowing that all of the available evidence tells us both things are true.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Lol, good answers.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Unless you're identical twins, you only share 50 % of your genes (out of those that vary) with your brother.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Gotcha. Still seems weird that the fat disappeared from his shoulders and no where else while replacing fat in that area with muscle while staying the same weight. Too see striations on one body part and no where else is weird. I personally have striations in different places while maintaining my 2 pak. My fat is mostly in the belly with a thin layer all over while being considered obese with a BMI of 30. I am 6'3 255 lbs,

• ndj1979
    Options
    Gotcha. Still seems weird that the fat disappeared from his shoulders and no where else while replacing fat in that area with muscle while staying the same weight. Too see striations on one body part and no where else is weird. I personally have striations in different places while maintaining my 2 pak. My fat is mostly in the belly with a thin layer all over while being considered obese with a BMI of 30. I am 6'3 255 lbs,

you just answered your own question.

If spot reduction was a myth then you should be able to s pot reduce from the areas that you want to, but you can't, because spot reduction is not a thing.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So you build muscle in a certain area that's fat. It's still there just spread out over a larger muscle now. I'm just messing with ya. We are heavy lifters and heavy people. He's more of a super heavy weight and I'm just a heavy weight in power lifting.