IIFYM

Options
Okay then. I'm not going to deny I'm hardheaded! Haha

Eating a strict clean diet does suck for the most part. Looking back through my diary, I'm pretty much eating like IIFYM anyways. Occasional stuff here and there through out the weeks as long as it fits in my Macros. Some days I miss my goal and some days I go over, not sure how that plays out in the grand scheme of putting on muscle.

Ultimately I can eat a pretty good amount of food, as long as it's planned out and prepared. If not I will eat what ever the quickest. The problem with eating what ever is the cals jump up real high real quick, leaving less for the remainder of the day.

So this is my questions:

Are Protein, Carbs and Fats still important? You know what I mean... if you don't hit your base % numbers but get your cals, is it still the same?

Should it just add 200-300 cals or 1000?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Protein, Carbs and Fats are the MACRO part of IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros). So, yes, they are important if that is the eating plan you are choosing. If you are just going for a total caloric deficit, and not IIFYM, then no, they don't matter.

I don't understand the second question.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Yes all macros are important, but meeting your daily calorie requirement is going to be what gets you to your ultimate goal (losing, maintaining, gaining). Macros are important for body composition. That being said you want to make sure you hit your protein and fats, but carbs can vary since they are mostly for energy.

Not sure what you are asking with the last question.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    not sure what the question is..

must be a slow day on bb.com
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    Okay then. I'm not going to deny I'm hardheaded! Haha

Eating a strict clean diet does suck for the most part. Looking back through my diary, I'm pretty much eating like IIFYM anyways. Occasional stuff here and there through out the weeks as long as it fits in my Macros. Some days I miss my goal and some days I go over, not sure how that plays out in the grand scheme of putting on muscle.

Ultimately I can eat a pretty good amount of food, as long as it's planned out and prepared. If not I will eat what ever the quickest. The problem with eating what ever is the cals jump up real high real quick, leaving less for the remainder of the day.

So this is my questions:

Are Protein, Carbs and Fats still important? You know what I mean... if you don't hit your base % numbers but get your cals, is it still the same?

Should it just add 200-300 cals or 1000?

No, it is not the same and thinking that it was stalled me for ages. Your body reacts differently to the different macros. Also, fats should be higher on low carb days and vice versa. To get a better understanding google "carb cycling".
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    not sure what the question is..

must be a slow day on bb.com

Not sure what that means, but okay. @ndj1979
    Bear with me buddy.....
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure what your goal is.

Are you wanting to build muscle?

Or are you wanting to drop weight?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ultimately when bulking, calories are king. However, you want to make sure you get a certain minimum of macros, these are the building blocks of muscle and body function, gym performance etc..
    The recommendation I go by, grams per lean body mass:
    Protein: .8 to 1g
    Fats: .35 to .6g
    Carbs: The rest

So while don't have to hit them exactly, you should at least aim for the minimum for optimal results.
    When you say you miss your goal, do you miss your calorie goal or macros? I would say try your best to hit your calorie goal otherwise you may find yourself slowly slipping into maintenance and not bulking. This isn't great if your goal is to gain.
  • JB035
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @sardelsa I sometimes miss my cal goals. It's usually not by much though, like a few hundred max.

Typically always hit my protein goal though.
  • JB035
    Options
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Goal is to gain muscle and to not put on a bunch of fat while doing it.
  • JB035
    Options
    @joemac1988
    I'm not looking to carb cycle.

I'm wanting to find a consistent way of eating that builds muscle with minimal to zero fat gains and is simple and sustainable. If that's even possible. Haha
  • JB035
    Options
    58269t4bf2qv.png

That is what I adjusted to as of last night.

Currently 5' 7" and 168 pounds looking to get to 175 with 12%to 13% bf and then maintain.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Fat gain is an inevitability of bulking. You can minimise it by doing a slower bulk I believe/more of a recomp.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Well zero fat gains while bulking isn't going to be possible unfortunately! (Unless you are recomping where you can gain muscle and lose fat over a longer period of time.. but depending on your goals and how lean you are right now, this may not be something you are interested in). But when bulking, best way to control fat gains is to keep your surplus smaller (<0.5-1lb gained per week) and being sure to follow a program with progressive overload. And if you do it right, you shouldn't have too much to cut after. I have seen a lot of successful bulkers keep their abs no problem (especially if they started pretty lean). Is this your first bulk? If it is, it is always the hardest, once you build a good muscle foundation it gets easier and the fat gain gets less noticeable (sometimes.. you also become more of a perfectionist ) :p
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So you want to recomp. Maybe your questions are answered in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

It's not possible to gain muscle and not put on any fat.

Here's a very detailed read that may be worth your while: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld

not possible. For males it is about a 50/50 ratio fat to muscle gain ..so for every pound you add, you will add a half pound of muscle and a half pound of fat
  • JB035
    Options
    @ndj1979
    50/50!! I just recently put on some weight. So half is fat??!!

• JB035
    Options
    @sardelsa
    All I have are pics to go off of right now. I'm not sure what my actual bf is.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979
    50/50!! I just recently put on some weight. So half is fat??!!

At best. Depends on what training you're doing.
  • JB035
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @VintageFeline
    Hatch Squat Program 2 days a week
    3 days per week a Progressive loading upper body Program of my own.
    Once or twice a week I'll throw in a metcon of my own making.
    For example:
    5 Rounds
    10 deadlifts @ 185
    10 Handstand Push Ups
    10 cal row
    10 power snatch's @ 95
    10 chest to bar