Getting Enough Water

Options
What are some things you do to make sure you are drinking enough water? I can usually get through one and a half tervis of water but then I start wanting something with flavor. What are some tricks for making water easier to drink?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    People get hung up on drinking water, drink as much as you can handle but its not worth worrying too much about imo.

I remember when I was losing I tried guzzling loads of it for one week and then just drinking normally the second week, say around 6 glasses - it didn't make one iota of difference to my weight loss. Eating at deficit is what causes weight loss not drinking wtaer.

The main function of water for me is to help me feel fuller so I sip it between meals.

If you want something with flavour add some squash/cordial to the water, or add a squeeze of some lemon or lime juice.

Also herbal/fruit teas, calories are minimal but very nice way to get some fluids in :smile:
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Unless you always have dark-coloured urine then you're probably getting enough water, but you can check on this infographic https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/10/what-the-color-of-your-urine-says-about-you-infographic/

If you do need to get more fluids you might find it easier to eat foods with a high water content i.e. fruit and veg. I personally love cucumbers, lettuce and tomatoes which all help me stay well hydrated.
  • TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I have cut down almost cut out soda and feel slot better. Just wondering if maybe I need more water. I am usually in the normal range according to the iconographic so I guess I am doing OK.
  • spoonpuppet
    spoonpuppet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually have a glass of water before a meal, and another glass on the table as I'm eating (which I will finish at the end of the meal). And a cup of tea after dinner in the evening. That routine helps me regularly have at least 7 glasses of water.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I have a Tervis tumbler which I use as my reminder cup. It holds 24oz so I know if I drink at least 3 of them I'm getting adequate hydration. It also depends on how much you work out. The more you sweat the more water you should consume.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have a 750ml bottle on my desk and ensure that I refill it at least once during the day. I also drink a whole liter in the gym.

Water isn't as critical as some people make out. As long as you are not dehydrated, there is no magical threshold or benefits.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to count cups or ounces. I drink a ton of water but I also drink coffee, tea, pop, etc which all count towards your daily intake.

Add flavours like lemon, orange, cucumber, berry, etc. or just drink what you can and then drink coffee or tea, or even eat high water content foods like cucumber or watermelon.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Drink something with flavor then. Adding flavor doesn't make liquid not hydrating. The rule that it must be pure plain water is just ridiculous.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I carry a 750 Ml water bottle around with me pretty much always. If I want flavor I usually add lemon or cucumber or something...sometimes I have a La Croix bubbly water...I like the coconut and the grapefruit.

For the most part though, I'm just a plain water guy and it doesn't really bother me.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    TH2017 wrote: »
    What are some things you do to make sure you are drinking enough water? I can usually get through one and a half tervis of water but then I start wanting something with flavor. What are some tricks for making water easier to drink?

I use a 32oz travel mug, throw in a tea bag and hot water. When empty, I refill with hot water using the same teabag, which continues to give it some flavor.
  • teecesay
    teecesay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    the only reason why water is beneficial for weight loss is because it has no calories, thats about it
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I like water with lemon, or cucumber.

There's no magic amount of water to drink, though, and I don't generally push it.
    You don't need 8 glasses of water a day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty. Works very well for me. Except skiing, I need to get one of those fanny pack things, I haven't been carrying water, I don't get enough from snow nibbling, and I suffer for it. The rest of the time, though, when I'm thirsty is all I need.

Beth never gets thirsty, so when she tries to rely on her thirst, she doesn't get enough water. So I get her a glass of tea when I make one of water for myself.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Same here - lime or lemon in my water to change it up

Personally I need ALOT of water to keep 'regular' and it also helps reduced water retention which can mask weight loss so For me drinking lots of water helps me on my weight loss journey. Not because it magically makes me lose more, but because it helps.my body run better and let's me see my progress easier.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

There's no magic amount of water to drink, though, and I don't generally push it.

Damn. you> I was going to post that.

:(
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Same here - lime or lemon in my water to change it up

Personally I need ALOT of water to keep 'regular' and it also helps reduced water retention which can mask weight loss so For me drinking lots of water helps me on my weight loss journey. Not because it magically makes me lose more, but because it helps.my body run better and let's me see my progress easier.

I do find (and I've read here) that if I have a high sodium day, drinking a lot of water helps flush it out leading to less gain from water retention. Seems to work but it could all be in my head (so if I'm wrong and someone can show it, I'm good with that).
  • Icandoit233
    Icandoit233 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually drink near a gallon of water on most days. I drink a lot of green tea (tea bags) and always have a cup and bottle near by. My secret is I get bored at work lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    teecesay wrote: »
    the only reason why water is beneficial for weight loss is because it has no calories, thats about it

It's also beneficial because our hunger cues can get crossed with our thirst cues - we can eat because we think we are hungry, when we are actually thirsty. So if we are properly hydrated we won't want those extra, unneeded calories.

This is especially true for me in the morning - I feel hungry but it goes away for a few hours once I start drinking tea.
  • TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

Damn. you> I was going to post that.

:(

I will have to try the cucumbers...I have tried water with lemon but not cucumbers.
  • meganmarie44
    meganmarie44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Water is really important for weight loss. And has a lot of other benefits too! Make sure you're drinking at least 8 cups a day if not more. Try setting alarms on your phone as reminders to drink water, try drinking green tea as well. Drink a glass with every meal as well