Fish that doesn't taste like poop ideas..

kwil74
kwil74 Posts: 42 Member
Having a hard time adding fish in my life..Fish I can kinda eat swai, tilipia, catfish, trout. Fish I cannot eat because it tastes like

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    If you don't like something why eat it? Any reason it has to be fish and not some other seafood?
  • kwil74
    Trying to add the healthy fats in fish without going pills also the high protein low cal will be fit for the diet but man some I can do some I cant..Im afraid its because I just don't know how to cook it lol..Usually pan seared
  • kwil74
    I would like ideas with Salmon in paticular..Maybe if I figured out a way to where I can sorta eat it my palette may change for it
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    You just gotta start eating fish to like it really. Salmon is the easiest one to cook really. The trick is not to overcook it thats it. You can check lots of online recipes but try the crispy skin one, its so good. I like lemon dressings on my fish personally, so make sure you find your fav dressing.

Cod is also an option as it has more of a neutral taste to it, as most white fish do.
  • kwil74
    I usually soak cat in buttermilk overnight to get passed the bottom of the lake taste..I wonder if you can do other fish the same way..I have turned to the Internet in the passed for fish recipes to end up chunking..So I need live people help hahaha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I eat mostly wild Alaskan Pacific Cod and Alaskan Sockeye Salmon...I think they're both delicious.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Cod weekly. Halibut when finances allow it. I do both pan seared with butter and lemon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Be sure you aren't overcooking fish. I love fish, but hate overcooked fish.
  • KristiBell1
    KristiBell1 Posts: 61 Member
    My fav is salmon cooked on a cedar plank or marinated in a low sodium soy sauce and brown sugar marinade.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    kwil74 wrote: »
    I would like ideas with Salmon in paticular..Maybe if I figured out a way to where I can sorta eat it my palette may change for it

Try blackening it with cajun seasoning.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    First off I don't eat farmed salmon. It is not nearly as good as wild caught. If you don't like dried out fish I do a steamed one in the oven which is moist and tasty. I start with a large wild salmon filet. On parchment paper layered over a piece of aluminum foil lay the filet and drizzle with fresh lemon juice, sliced fresh onion and salt and pepper. Wrap up and bake in the oven at 375 until just cooked. I check off and on after about 12 minutes. It can take up to 30 minutes depending on the thickness of the filet. If it's quite a thick one you might want to drop the temp down to 350. I just happen to hate dry fish so I am paranoid it will over cook. If you don't like lemon you can substitute a tablespoon or two of chicken bullion (I use Knorr dissolved in water). Also if you want to spend some extra calories you can add a little oil or butter. Personally I find salmon pretty good without it but some people like it with extra fat.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Farmed salmon flesh is more tender than wild. Wild salmon swim constantly, and are larger in size. Their flesh is far more muscular and less tender than farmed. I know, I know. Farmed practices aren't ethical (the fish live in underwater stalls and never swim), and artificial coloring is added to make the flesh orange. Also the feed consists of all sorts of stuff a wild fish in its natural habitat would never eat.

But aside from all that - taste? Farmed tastes better. It's engineered to.

I disagree. Just personal preference you might like the milder taste of farmed fish. I think the fresh fish has more flavor just as I find free range eggs have more taste. Everyone is different and you are certainly entitiled to your opinion. I don't think that they are engineered to taste better but rather to save money by growing bigger fish for less money. Just as it is cheaper and easier to keep chickens caged. The purpose of my post was not to slam farmed fish but rather to provide a recipe the OP might like.
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Jerk rub or curry rub make it that I enjoy fish now, I get free fish every month and wanted to find a way to like it and that did the trick.

One other, is if you've ever had sashimi at a restaurant, usually you might pair it with pickled ginger, soy sauce, wasabi. I rub the fish with the wasabi, splash some GF soy sauce on it and once its bbqed up, eat it with some of the pickled ginger!

Good luck and eat what you like, it always tastes good that way :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    kwil74 wrote: »

Honestly, I love salmon and I don't think it needs a whole lot. Every once in awhile we'll dress it up with something...my wife sometimes does this Asian inspired thing...but most often it's just a squeeze of lemon with some S&P and maybe throw a couple slices on top for baking in the oven.

Don't overcook...overcooked fish is the worst. I like salmon pretty much medium rare.
  • mme1127
    mme1127 Posts: 17 Member
    Have you tried yellow fin tuna? Most grocery stores sell frozen tuna steaks. I just thaw them quickly in a bowl of lukewarm water and then I pan sear them with a tsp of olive oil. Sear about 1-2 minutes on each side. Steak should be bright pink in the middle. Slice it up and serve over a bed of spinach with a light dressing. The worst thing you can do is overcook this fish. Don't be afraid of the pinkness. Keeping it pink gets rid of all the funky fishy flavor and makes the center mild and buttery. It's YUM!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    I hate salmon. Always have, always will. I have tried to like it, but nope, it is not going to happen, no matter how it is cooked.
    When I make it for my husband, I always make cod for myself. I dip it in beaten egg, then in seasoned panko bread crumbs, spray with PAM and bake in 450 F oven for about 10 minutes. Gets really crispy and so good. Really low calorie too.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I love haddock
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Farmed salmon flesh is more tender than wild. Wild salmon swim constantly, and are larger in size. Their flesh is far more muscular and less tender than farmed. I know, I know. Farmed practices aren't ethical (the fish live in underwater stalls and never swim), and artificial coloring is added to make the flesh orange. Also the feed consists of all sorts of stuff a wild fish in its natural habitat would never eat.

But aside from all that - taste? Farmed tastes better. It's engineered to.

I disagree. Just personal preference you might like the milder taste of farmed fish. I think the fresh fish has more flavor just as I find free range eggs have more taste. Everyone is different and you are certainly entitiled to your opinion. I don't think that they are engineered to taste better but rather to save money by growing bigger fish for less money. Just as it is cheaper and easier to keep chickens caged. The purpose of my post was not to slam farmed fish but rather to provide a recipe the OP might like.

The dichotomy isn't between fresh and farmed. It's fresh or frozen. Or it's wild or farmed. You can have fresh wild or fresh farmed. You can have frozen wild or frozen farmed.