How Long Did It Take You To Lose 30lbs?

Options
124»

Replies

• Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    And yes, this is the second time I'm doing it. Still works like a charm!

What did you do that works so well? Do you mean you used MFP settings with a goal of 2lbs per week? (For me, that puts me at 1200 calories per day.)

Yes, 1200 calories a day, I don't eat back exercise calories unless I'm hungry.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mmmpork wrote: »
    It depends on your starting weight. If you're really overweight, you can lose it quickly because it's easier to create a calorie deficit that allows you to eat pretty comfortable. As you get closer to your target, your deficit naturally decreases. It took me about 4 months to lose the first 30 lbs, from 230 to 200 lbs. I'm 5'6" and my target weight is 140 lbs for context. At 230 lbs, the Miffin St Jeor formula (1.1 modifier) put my TDEE at 2100 calories. I set my target to 1800 for the first month and then 1500 once I was in the groove, for a deficit of 600 calories. With exercise I could have a deficit of as much as 800 calories per day. It took me close to 4 months to lose the first 30 pounds.

Now I've lost 50 lbs and I've got about 40 more to go. It's going to take a lot longer because now my TDEE is estimated at around 1700 calories. Now my daily target is 1300 calories, for a 400 calorie deficit. With exercise (again, max possible is around 200 calories), I might get close to 600 in a day). If I'm averaging about a 450 calorie deficit per day or 3000 calories per week. If 3500 calories = 1 lb then I would be losing between 3-4 pounds per month. This has been consistent for me over the past couple of months.

I expect to drop to 160 lbs by the end of this year (~20 lbs in about 9 months), at which point, my deficit is going to gradually shrink until I end up at nearly 100 calories by the end of the year. That means instead of an average deficit of 450 calories per day, I'll be looking at an average deficit of 350 calories per day, or 2-3 lbs per month.

Between 160 and 140, my deficit will decrease another 100 calories, which means I'd be looking at an average of 250 calories per day, or around 1-2 pounds per month. Those last 20 pounds could easily take a full year to lose. If I dropped to 1200 calories I could marginally increase it.

Try plugging numbers in here to get a better idea of what your trajectory might be, and I'd recommend you keep the activity level low for a more accurate calculation: http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

THIS EXACTLY.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs last year between Jan-March. I of course gained it all back later in the year which is why I'm back here now but I did lose 25 in three months time. :) I was doing mostly WW during that time and very aggressive trying to lose at that time.