What do you count as "water"?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only thing i count as water is plain water. If the only fluids i get are from tea and coffee i can feel noticeable water retention that evening and into the next day. But if i also drink a couple Litres of water, I'm fine and have no problems.
  • jayeless
    jayeless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I started out on MFP (in winter) I logged water, tea and coffee as water (those being nearly everything I drank). Now that it's summer I only log water, because I find I need eight glasses of actual plain water to stay hydrated. I don't care too deeply about it, though.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that people would log coffee and tea differently than they do plain water. If you swallow some dry instant coffee crystals and then drink a cup of hot water, your body can't tell a difference from putting the crystals in a cup of hot water and drinking that.

I drink a cup of tea with my breakfast and log it as part of breakfast.
    I drink various juices with my lunch and log them as part of lunch.
    I drink either coffee or juice with dinner and log them as part of dinner.
    I may possibly have coffee during the morning at work and log this under snacks (items consumed apart from my three main meals)

None of this counts as water for me, although I can see how it helps with hydration.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that people would log coffee and tea differently than they do plain water. If you swallow some dry instant coffee crystals and then drink a cup of hot water, your body can't tell a difference from putting the crystals in a cup of hot water and drinking that.

I found this on webmd. "Although tea contains only about one-third the caffeine found in coffee, preliminary studies show that the caffeine may actually help to increase tea's cancer-protection effects. Caffeine is a diuretic and stimulates urination, and you can actually get dehydrated by drinking too much tea or coffee -- so take it easy." So it appears it isn't the same as plain water after all, which hydrates you.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    JeanieWww wrote: »

I found this on webmd. "Although tea contains only about one-third the caffeine found in coffee, preliminary studies show that the caffeine may actually help to increase tea's cancer-protection effects. Caffeine is a diuretic and stimulates urination, and you can actually get dehydrated by drinking too much tea or coffee -- so take it easy." So it appears it isn't the same as plain water after all, which hydrates you.

That's pretty much earned the status of "old wives' tale." Whoever is quoted was just repeating the same conventional wisdom that was passed down to them.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging water and black coffee. I drink enough that I don't need to worry and my coffee is close enough to no calories to not bother.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

I drink a cup of tea with my breakfast and log it as part of breakfast.
    I drink various juices with my lunch and log them as part of lunch.
    I drink either coffee or juice with dinner and log them as part of dinner.
    I may possibly have coffee during the morning at work and log this under snacks (items consumed apart from my three main meals)

None of this counts as water for me, although I can see how it helps with hydration.

Well, yes, you'd need to log anything with calories as a food, but you could also add it to water if you wanted. I don't log anything I drink because I have no cause to track fluids, and other than water I only drink diet beverages, black coffee and plain tea.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    Fine. I wont try to help anyone anymore. Happy?
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm sure this is posted somewhere but I can't find it...

If I have 8 oz of coffee, do I check off 1 water? What about tea, beer, wine, soup, etc?

I only log plain water as water. Other fluids such as tea, coffee, juice, I log with the relevant meals.

Same here.
  • jadeh218
    jadeh218 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am aware of what I drink - I don't stress about logging it though. I check my pee, and that gives me an indication of how hydrated I am.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If I'm thirsty I drink.
    If my urine isn't the correct colour I drink.

I don't log it - seems a complete waste of time and 8 glasses a day (of liquid) is actually ludicrous to apply to everyone.

And yes my thirst response does work perfectly well, like the vast majority of people.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I have a separate section on my MFP page for 'Drinks' in which I track tea, coffee, wine, cocktails etc. I keep tabs on how much water I've drunk in the 'Water' section, but don't worry if I haven't reached the recommended (1900ml or whatever the figure is) as long as my urine is clear.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. I really don't drink much else though anymore with the exception of my morning coffee.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    JeanieWww wrote: »

I drink a lot of coffee. I drink little else and have never experienced this dehydration they speak of. It would be interesting to see how thick the coffee would have to be for someone to experience dehydration from drinking coffee. I suspect it would have to have the consistency of mud.