Is there such thing as bad motivation to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• goalsforever03
    goalsforever03 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I want to lose the weight bc I want to look good in tighter jeans lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yes. Unpaid athletes trying to lose weight (crazily in most cases) to make a weight class. Dancers are also notorius for losing weight just to look good on stage regardless of their skill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh god, yes. i didn't even think of this.

I know a couple competitors (figure) who have dieted down so harshly that they were being hospitalized after their competitions. One with dehydration the other with liver and kidney issues from abusing diuretics and i'm assuming some sort of preworkouts.

i also know a girl that was my size (when i was a gymnast i was 5'3 and 108 pounds) who lost another 10 pounds so she could pull off a catch and release move in gymnastics.
    It's ironic that with bodybuilding/fitness competitors that on the outside they look so great, but you KNOW that on stage it's probably the most unhealthy state that they are in based on dehydration, diruetics, and pretty much depleted in energy. Also their immune systems are at their weakest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am all about vanity..especially when it comes to cutting the last few pounds. Also it is the reason I am bulking, otherwise why on earth would I be doing this to myself!! Haha

I would say it's about health. But that's really just the first part of my weight loss. I'm already there. Now it is about vanity.

Vanity isn't bad unless you are putting others down or consider yourself better based on looks. We all struggle a little with that, and need to remind ourselves that they have issues we don't know about.

Eating disorders are a bad reason, but they need another kind of help.