1000-1200 calories, anyone?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Hello.

Have any of you been on a 1000-1200 calorie per day plan? Did you follow it strictly? What was your experience? (Plateaus, weight loss rates, sleep quality...)

It is what I am doing; I never had to go so low before.

Thanks kindly.

1200 - 1300 is maintenance for me at my proper weight, so yes, I have to dip lower when I need to lose. It's normal for me, but I fall outside of the general norm. I don't think the experience is any different than anyone else though....I just have to eat a bit less than others. And I am a meticulous logger, weigh everything - after 12 years of journaling I know the drill, believe me. ;)

I do get quite a bit of exercise - and while I track that on my FitBit site, I do not concern myself with how many calories I burned and if I need to "eat back" any. I try to keep below 1100, and really do best if I stay closer to 1000. If I do a LOT of exercise, and I find myself hungry, I will eat what I feel is necessary. But it does not ever really match calorie for calorie. For instance, I consumed 1036 calories on Sunday, and did a 17 mile bike ride that morning - at a decent clip, in a stiff cold wind. My Polar watch said I burned 579 calories for that ride. (Who know how accurate that really is, but all we have to go by is these devices, so...) I never found myself hungry that day - and did not feel like I had to eat extra to cover the calories I burned. But some days, I do. Yesterday I walked 4 miles, and rode about 18 miles, for an hour on the stationary bike at the gym. I was starving when I got home from the gym, and ate what wound up being an extra 300 calories. But I don't plan the calories/do any math on that stuff. I just eat what I need to, to feel good. I try to make sure get in my protein, and not eat too much sodium at night - that's really all I concern myself with. Oh and I have taken multi-vitamins, for years. That's a daily norm for me as well.

Are you teeny tiny?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hello.

Have any of you been on a 1000-1200 calorie per day plan? Did you follow it strictly? What was your experience? (Plateaus, weight loss rates, sleep quality...)

It is what I am doing; I never had to go so low before.

Thanks kindly.

1200 - 1300 is maintenance for me at my proper weight, so yes, I have to dip lower when I need to lose. It's normal for me, but I fall outside of the general norm. I don't think the experience is any different than anyone else though....I just have to eat a bit less than others. And I am a meticulous logger, weigh everything - after 12 years of journaling I know the drill, believe me. ;)

I do get quite a bit of exercise - and while I track that on my FitBit site, I do not concern myself with how many calories I burned and if I need to "eat back" any. I try to keep below 1100, and really do best if I stay closer to 1000. If I do a LOT of exercise, and I find myself hungry, I will eat what I feel is necessary. But it does not ever really match calorie for calorie. For instance, I consumed 1036 calories on Sunday, and did a 17 mile bike ride that morning - at a decent clip, in a stiff cold wind. My Polar watch said I burned 579 calories for that ride. (Who know how accurate that really is, but all we have to go by is these devices, so...) I never found myself hungry that day - and did not feel like I had to eat extra to cover the calories I burned. But some days, I do. Yesterday I walked 4 miles, and rode about 18 miles, for an hour on the stationary bike at the gym. I was starving when I got home from the gym, and ate what wound up being an extra 300 calories. But I don't plan the calories/do any math on that stuff. I just eat what I need to, to feel good. I try to make sure get in my protein, and not eat too much sodium at night - that's really all I concern myself with. Oh and I have taken multi-vitamins, for years. That's a daily norm for me as well.

Are you teeny tiny?

LOL. Definitely not. 5'7". 61 years old.
  • akaguna
    akaguna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am always put at 1200 calories and that is for a 1 to 1/2 pound loss a week. Scared to read what it would say if I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week. I have about 10 pounds to lose and I am 45. I could never go below 1200 and eat around that (and some exercise calories too) if I need it. Good luck.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    akaguna wrote: »
    Hi! I am always put at 1200 calories and that is for a 1 to 1/2 pound loss a week. Scared to read what it would say if I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week. I have about 10 pounds to lose and I am 45. I could never go below 1200 and eat around that (and some exercise calories too) if I need it. Good luck.

Well, technically MFP won't go below 1200 for a recommendation, so you could put in 2 lbs/week and it would still provide you the same goal. With 10 lbs to lose you should be looking for 0.5 lb/week. You can improve consistency by making sure your logging is as accurate as possible, ideally using a food scale for all solid foods.

• fretsnsoccer
    fretsnsoccer Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi there,
    Currently I've been bringing in a lifestyle concept of a diet where everyday u want to eat like it's a general part of your life rather than physically acknowledging "oh it's another crash course diet"
    With that being said based on my weight and macros to lose 2lbs roughly per week I must consume 2100 cals weekly however we all know we are average body types / consumers and all the demotions of daily food can get in the weight so from a lifestyle concept I ahoot for around 1700-1750 cals a day (HEALTHY MACROS) that way if I unintentionally slip up have a drink eat a high carb snack have a piece of candy or get tempted with fast food there is some room in my calorie consumption to still "lose" weight weekly. Now keep in mind to really make vast changes within days you must be honestly 100% consistent. I'm not however when u add in discipline , weight programs specified to your lifestyle to grow muscle, and your general diet then shooting for low calorie days versus not caring what you eat everyday will always benefit you overall from a 90-120 day diet/workout program perspective.

For all the nuances of eating low calorie days. Sleep won't get affected, physically weight loss you can see in the mirror will take place after about 5-6 days of consistent low cal days, and plateaus only occur from a muscular or strength standpoint, but diet...no. If you feel a little tired or weak in strength measure and calculate a few more carbs in your daily meal plan on days you are going to work out such as an orange or extra apple or banana to get that extra boost of fast energy as long as you are doing heavy weights that are relative to your strength levels.

I'm no expert in the concepts of essentially IF (intermittent fasting) but I do know from personal experience My head is clearer more focused I have seen more strength gains and weight loss around the waist faster with eating lower calories daily then going on these fast meaningless weight loss diets the media pushes.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions
  • buglesalmoncatgirl
    buglesalmoncatgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    All great feedback. Thanks everyone.

I am 5'4". 32 years old. I have yo-yo'd more times than I can track (lost and gained 20lbs at least 4 times). I suspect my metabolism is slower, if you subscribe to that philosophy.

The MFP settings put me at 1200 for 2lbs per week, at 1370 for 1lb per week. To lose half a pound I need 1500-ish calories would be the amount to eat. Those are the numbers I am getting with the app.

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    All great feedback. Thanks everyone.

I am 5'4". 32 years old. I have yo-yo'd more times than I can track (lost and gained 20lbs at least 4 times). I suspect my metabolism is slower, if you subscribe to that philosophy.

The MFP settings put me at 1200 for 2lbs per week, at 1370 for 1lb per week. To lose half a pound I need 1500-ish calories would be the amount to eat. Those are the numbers I am getting with the app.

How much weight do you have to lose? 2lbs per week might be too aggressive a goal for you.

1370 for 1lb a week sounds reasonable. Is there a reason why you want it go so fast? It's about eating in a way that is sustainable for the rest of your life.
  • cafisher0404
    cafisher0404 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200 net, usually equates to 1300-1400ish, but some days I eat more, some days I eat less. If I started feeling bad health wise, I would start eating more. I have about 15lbs left to lose, and I am doing well on 1200 so see no reason to go up just because I'm closer to goal. I lose about 1.5 lbs a week and am about 5'3 and weigh 138 (female). I sometimes have stalls for a few days/week and then lose a pound over 48 hours.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I did 1200 calories once, and mind you I was roaming around 300pds, because I used to think that's what you were supposed to do (this was roughly 10yrs ago, forgive my younger self). I was hungry all the time, not growly hungry but felt a burning kind of hunger in my stomach. I'm surprised no one died. Luckily this didn't last long enough to do any physical damage (roughly 1 or 2 months) and ended up actually calculating my NEAT.
    It was horrible for me, I did lose weight but I didn't physically feel as well as I should have. I felt weak, and tired (albeit I was also anemic too). If it's your actual calories that's one thing, otherwise eat whatever your MFP calculates your NEAT to be, or TDEE, or whatever calculator you choose to use.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day (I rarely eat back exercise calories) and work out 6 times a week, 3x cardio and 3x strength. I just started the latter, before that it was 3x cardio for around a half hour per week. I started October/November last year and am currently down 46lbs. You can add me, my diary is open.
  • surlydoc
    surlydoc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200-1300 a day also. I had my resting metabolism tested and came in at 1340, plus I exercise (walking or strength) 5-6 days a week, but I've found that if I eat around 1500 (which my exercise level would indicate is appropriate) I start gaining weight. Granted, my logging isn't perfect, but my "staples" are very healthy and I also allow myself treats on weekends. I've never had a large appetite so my portions are more than appropriate. I struggle to hit my macros (often coming in low on protein or fat).
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    LisaPrust wrote: »
    I sorta hate to be in the minority but after over a year I have found that if I do not keep the calories at 1200 as well as work out 3-5 times a week, the weight will simply not come off ! Sad face. I'm 54, 5'8" and have gone from 227 down to 184. Still have 25+/- to lose! Good luck friend!

I am on a 1200 calorie limit as well, but, I am on the short side 5'2-3/4" and old, 65, and am doing this under my doctors supervision. I have been doing this since 1/1/17, and have lost 23 pounds so far.
  • mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    After two years of maintenance, I found myself 10 lbs over weight. Because I am extremely impatient, I am going 1600 to 2400 calories, with 1000 - 1200 exercise calories, so a net of 600 to 1400 calories. It's not easy; it takes discipline but it works.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mgibbons22 wrote: »
    After two years of maintenance, I found myself 10 lbs over weight. Because I am extremely impatient, I am going 1600 to 2400 calories, with 1000 - 1200 exercise calories, so a net of 600 to 1400 calories. It's not easy; it takes discipline but it works.

Hopefully your exercise calories are over stated. When we get closer to goal a moderate deficit helps our bodies fuel existing lean muscle mass more efficiently. The price for aggressive weight loss goals in often not lowering your body fat % by as much as you could have.

Men need more calories than women (unless you are very short).....because men have more muscle mass to start out with.
  • mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    mgibbons22 wrote: »

Hopefully your exercise calories are over stated. When we get closer to goal a moderate deficit helps our bodies fuel existing lean muscle mass more efficiently. The price for aggressive weight loss goals in often not lowering your body fat % by as much as you could have.

Men need more calories than women (unless you are very short).....because men have more muscle mass to start out with.

To be honest, I think Fitbit overstates the exercise calories :smile:
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I was on roughly 1200 for about a year. Having said that here are the stats. I am 60 years old and have a sedentary job. I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week. I'm 5'5" and started at 232.8. I lost over that year at an average of 1.4 pounds a week. I don't always weigh and measure exactly. I did allow myself a cheat meal once every two or three weeks for the first 6 months. I walked every day working up to about 9000 steps a day. I lost 72 pounds. I did occasionally eat back about half of my exercise calories (100 - 150). Some days I was under my calories. After 10 months I hit a plateau. I'm still on it! That started in November. I tried going to maintenance calories for a week, which did not cause a gain but no loss either. I should mention part of my issue is my doc changed some of my meds about 3 weeks ago. One of the pills he took away was a water pill. I continue to eat at a deficit as I am not willing to give up yet, lol. I would like to lose another 25 pounds but have heard from many others that it is hard to lose the last 20 or so.
This discussion has been closed.