1000-1200 calories, anyone?

Options

Replies

• pravda_iskra
    pravda_iskra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, since I've started counting calories (when I was around 186 pounds, which was not my starting weight) until now, I've always eaten (at least) 1200 a day, but I try not to go over 1400. I'm 5'8" and I work out 4-5 days a week, and I feel full and content. I'm not tired and starving all day. I focus on eating plenty of protein and healthy fats which keep me fuller longer. I've also worked on readjusting my hunger cues and figuring out when I'm ACTUALLY hungry vs being bored at my sedentary, awful office job. I measure everything so I know what I'm eating. I find that 1200-1300 is plenty for me, and I always work in a treat every day.

Minus my last semester of college/moving/starting a horrific job weight gain that I'm losing now, I've lost 69 pounds, so I find it sustainable.
  • HUNIBUN2022
    HUNIBUN2022 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and I don't good lower not healthy to go lower than 1200

A sweeping statement made with no proof. People can, and do, eat below 1200 calories and are healthy.

I live in a truck and don't get alot of exercise and my doctor told me not to go below 1200 there's my proof
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    1200 calories - I am hangry just thinking about it!!! (Runs to get a snack). I eat 1800 calories a day and I am loosing weight. Sometimes I eat more depending on my workout/activity. I am petite and over 40.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I'm on 1200 and I don't good lower not healthy to go lower than 1200

A sweeping statement made with no proof. People can, and do, eat below 1200 calories and are healthy.

Wait a minute. Why would you say going below 1200 calories is healthy, when that is below most people's BMR, the amount that sustains a person who is sedentary?

Please give examples.

Oh good grief. :/
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    The voice of experience is ignored at one's own risk.

I agree with Ruth.

I've dieted on and off for over 40 years.

Here's the greater issue behind the argument for eating more, particularly as you get closer to goal:

I personally found that as I went further along in my weight loss, fitness became a bigger part of my life, and as I had less body fat, I found I needed more calories to fuel my activity while still losing weight. I wasn't willing to sacrifice running performance to maintain a large deficit.

You are right, this might not be the same for you.

I do know that both Ruth and WinoGelato are very active people. Perhaps that is the difference here. Those of us who are active know what a difference those calories make, particularly once you start to lean out and have less and less body fat to burn to fuel your activity.

I agree - exercise does make a huge difference. I work out regularly at the gym, and walk/bike/elliptical/stepmill on my lunch hour, every day. It's normal for me to do 150 flights of stairs in my 30 minutes at the gym (have to leave time for a shower!). If I walk, I make sure I cover 3 miles. I have done 6 half-marathons, and many shorter races. I used to run every day, but I had a torn meniscus repair this past summer :/ and I'm not sure if my knee will ever let me get back to running, so I have to find other ways. I routinely bike 15-20 miles on the weekend, and have done as much as 35. Fitness is a normal part of my day and should be for everyone.
  • JustMissTracyToo
    JustMissTracyToo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 for a week, but it was a complete nightmare. After reading and learning from the guru's here at MFP, I found that by increasing my calorie goal, and moving more, my life wasn't so horrible anymore. Still lost over 60 pounds, but slower, and without the hanger.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm short at 5'1" so on 1200. I eat back my exercise calories. A couple of days a week I can do 1200 but others it's real challenge. I think 1000 would mean saying no to the odd glass of wine or treat that keeps me sane but on track.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I agree with Ruth.

Here's the greater issue behind the argument for eating more, particularly as you get closer to goal:

I personally found that as I went further along in my weight loss, fitness became a bigger part of my life, and as I had less body fat, I found I needed more calories to fuel my activity while still losing weight. I wasn't willing to sacrifice running performance to maintain a large deficit.

I do know that both Ruth and WinoGelato are very active people. Perhaps that is the difference here. Those of us who are active know what a difference those calories make, particularly once you start to lean out and have less and less body fat to burn to fuel your activity.

I agree - exercise does make a huge difference. I work out regularly at the gym, and walk/bike/elliptical/stepmill on my lunch hour, every day. It's normal for me to do 150 flights of stairs in my 30 minutes at the gym (have to leave time for a shower!). If I walk, I make sure I cover 3 miles. I have done 6 half-marathons, and many shorter races. I used to run every day, but I had a torn meniscus repair this past summer :/ and I'm not sure if my knee will ever let me get back to running, so I have to find other ways. I routinely bike 15-20 miles on the weekend, and have done as much as 35. Fitness is a normal part of my day and should be for everyone.

You said upthread that your maintenance calories were 1200-1300? And that's your TDEE, including all this exercise? What is your height and weight?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    here is the thing: even if you are a special unicorn that MUST eat 1200 calories to lose half a pound a week, or to maintain, it is irresponsible to tell someone that is just beginning a weight loss journey that they are, too.

When we go off on you in this threads, it's not because we care what you do. You do what you want, you don't want advice and you don't take it. It's when you offer your experience as relevant to some poor new person who now has validation to continue a very extreme level of deprivation that is very likely to lead to failure.

It's bad advice. So it gets hit with criticism. If you said "I tried 1500 calories first, and after a month that didn't work for me, so then I backed it down," you wouldn't get the criticism. That story isn't how it gets put on the newbies.

The OP specifically asked if there were folks out there that fall into that range. And clearly, there are. I, and a few others, responded. I've been at this a long time - maintaining my weight - so I do have experience, for MY situation. OP was asking about that situation, specifically. Not sure why others feel it necessary to jump in and comment to those of us that clearly are doing fine and need no advice, and did not ask for it. Yes, I do know what I am doing, and it works for me. That is all I should need to say. I try to stay polite and respectful here. :)

If I may, yes, she asked for experiences of others in that range. But later, she mentioned the reason she is looking to be in that range is because she desires to lose 2 lbs/week, not because she finds she *can't* lose on a higher calorie allowance. I think that makes a big difference in the kind of advice being offered.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Because there is generally a concern that people are eating at 1200, and/or are going for an overly aggressive weight loss that could be detrimental to *them* (not all). There are people that feel they're going to go for 1200 so they can loose all the weight they can as fast as they can and end up being tired, emotional, and seriously hungry, when if they have an 'appropriate' deficit, they may not feel this way. There are some people that can do it, some as you've seen that can't.

Plus this is forums, additional information as to why we do things (ie fueling appropriately for exercise) and opinions are always going to be given - you have to learn to weed through some information (while figuring out what is right, what is opinion, what is not contextual to you, and what is complete hogwash).

All that is fine and good. After maintaining my weight all these years I think I can weed through the hogwash. But for others to imply that my own experience is hogwash, is definitely NOT fine. That was my point.

Back to the OP now.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    If I may, yes, she asked for experiences of others in that range. But later, she mentioned the reason she is looking to be in that range is because she desires to lose 2 lbs/week, not because she finds she *can't* lose on a higher calorie allowance. I think that makes a big difference in the kind of advice being offered.

Well that is true. I actually missed that little nugget. Good point. :)
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Krri wrote: »
    I have been using MFP for the past 4 years. I am a small person and have no problem staying around 1200 calories. I also exercise about 3 times a week and average about 1 lb. loss each week. I have found that if I don't log, the weight creeps back. At 1200 calories, it is important to make good choices for every calorie. I don't find myself hungry if I eat healthy fats and proteins.

So out of those 4 years have you kept off the weight you lost? Just wondering because if not then eating that low hasn't really worked for you... I'm also petite, been at goal for 4 years, lost 0.5lb a week eating 1700-1800 cals. And that's purely the reason I never regained as I wasn't depriving myself or ever felt like I was in a diet. Just had to make that point because there really is no need to eat low cal to have success.

Totally agree, and love the new profile picture!

@WinoGelato thank you so much :smiley: I didn't bother replying to the comment on my comment LOL - there are those of us who lose weight the healthy and sustainable way (and wonder of wonders we succeed long term) and those who yoyo between eating too little and then re-gaining when they end their 'diet' duh! so I think I'll bow out apart from looking at newer comments and enjoy a bit of eye rolling and shaking head moments :smiley:

The thing is I've been there myself, years of yoyo dieting didn't do me any favours. I always say to friends its a pity there hadn't been MFP 20 years ago, because now I could be saying I've been slim all my life rather than just for the better part of my 40s :smiley:

The only way to sustain weight loss, is to not eat more calories than you burn.

Depending on where you get your information, anywhere from 80% to 97% of people who lose weight, gain it all (or even more back) within 5 years.

Point is, all anyone can do, is what works for themselves, and that involves eating less calories than you are burning to lose weight, and not eating more than you burn to maintain. What is the healthy, or unhealthy way to lose weight is something each of us should be consulting with our doctors about. No one on any internet forum can know what is right for someone else. There are many factors that go into this. Every diet will advise you to consult with your doctor before starting a weight loss program.

It is sheer arrogance to presume that you know best for anyone besides yourself. What qualifies you to decide that someone else is wrong? How can you possibly know? As long as you are eating at a calorie level that is safe, and have arrived at this number by consulting with a professional, how can anyone else tell you you are wrong, without know your medical history or anything about you.

If your program is working for you, that is fantastic and good for you. Unfortunately, we are not all the same, and that is a fact.

I agree with Ruth.

Thank you for telling me I am inactive, but no, that is not it. I have gone to the gym every single day (missed 2 because of snow storms) for over two years. Have had a fit bit for 4 years and get at least 15K every single day. Lost zip weight until I started logging here and cut calorie consumption to 1200 calories from 1600. Lost -23 since 1/1/17, but of course now I was told that is losing too fast. Why is it so difficult to believe that someone can not lose weight eating more calories than you think they should be eating.

The voice of experience is ignored at one's own risk, but that is your experience, not mine.

This discussion has been closed.