2»

Replies

• ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If your doing low intensity cardio you preserve glycogen stores and burn primarily from fat stores in the mornings. This type of cardio is considered to be the "best" type to perform in a fasted state (in the early morning) or depleted state (post workout). In my experience, even with moderate or high intensity cardio, early morning fasted state cardio works best for me but really it's a question of preference & everyone has their own opinion. Just do what you feel works the best for you...

Not so much:
    http://weightology.net/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-an-undeserved-good-reputation.html/

In regards to the OP, the best time to do cardio (or any workout, for that matter) is whenever you'll do it most consistently. Workouts you do at a time that fits into your schedule are better than missed workouts from trying to squeeze them in at a supposed "optimal" time. Personal preference is the most important consideration.

The site you referred me to was only a blog - or basically one man's opinion... Although well written and had some good information he says only that there is no evidence that it does work and he has zero factual evidence that it doesn't. I disagree with his hypothesis but respect it. There are several studies that show fasted state and depleted state cardio burns more calories. I never stated that it burns fat as no cardiovascular exercises actually burn fat - only raises metabolism and allows you to be in a caloric deficit state so you lose weight. There are many other factors that go into fat loss...
    I just let the OP know what worked best for me as he asked & you parroted my main advice that personal preference is the most important consideration.

I think you missed all the links to studies supporting that opinion.

No I caught them all... Again all the studies he referenced stated "We found no significant differences in fat loss between the groups."(Fasted state vs Interval)
    The site you referred me to was only a blog - or basically one man's opinion... Although well written and had some good information he says only that there is no evidence that it does work and he has zero factual evidence that it doesn't.

Read through it again. See all the words in blue letters? Those are links. Links to studies. Studies are sometimes considered evidence.

Krieger isn't just some hack "blogger" spouting half-cocked, unsupported layman opinions like so much of the dreck on the internet. From the "About James" section of his page:
    James Krieger is the founder of Weightology. He has a Master's degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master's degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months. His former clients include the founder of Sylvan Learning Centers and The Little Gym, the vice president of Costco, and a former vice president of MSN.

James is a published scientist, author, and speaker in the field of exercise and nutrition. He has published research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. In his previous lay publication, Weightology Weekly, he wrote over 70 articles per year covering the latest science in a manner that was friendly and easy to understand. James is also the former science editor for Pure Power Magazine, and the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, both publications that delivered scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In addition, James has given over 75 lectures on fitness-related topics to physicians, dietitians, and other professionals, and has been a speaker at major events such as the AFPT Conference and NSCA Personal Training Conference. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 20 years, and has written over 500 articles. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based, scientific approach to body transformation and health.

For more information on James's background and experience, view his curriculum vita.

Really? What's a study???

NONE of those studies showed fasted steady state cardio DOESN'T work which is what I said. Only that interval training cardio or HIIT works the same. Really, wow some common sense! So again - he says only that there is no evidence that it does work and he has zero factual evidence that it doesn't. Another point he made is the notion that with fasted steady state cardio you start breaking down or burning proteins halfway through training - this is highly possible but if your getting at least 1g protein per lbs of bodyweight and not doing 2 hours of cardio it won't effect you to the point you're breaking muscle down over fat.

Also, I never said he was some hack "blogger" but it is a blog and is his opinion right? I'm glad you can copy and paste but I read his bio prior to posting my comment.

Again, steady state fasted cardio in the morning has worked best for me. I see the advantages of HIIT and use it at times but just because James Kreiger says fasted cardio working best is a myth it does not make it so. Once more it's a matter of preference & what may work best for one person won't for another...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If your doing low intensity cardio you preserve glycogen stores and burn primarily from fat stores in the mornings. This type of cardio is considered to be the "best" type to perform in a fasted state (in the early morning) or depleted state (post workout). In my experience, even with moderate or high intensity cardio, early morning fasted state cardio works best for me but really it's a question of preference & everyone has their own opinion. Just do what you feel works the best for you...

Not so much:
    http://weightology.net/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-an-undeserved-good-reputation.html/

In regards to the OP, the best time to do cardio (or any workout, for that matter) is whenever you'll do it most consistently. Workouts you do at a time that fits into your schedule are better than missed workouts from trying to squeeze them in at a supposed "optimal" time. Personal preference is the most important consideration.

The site you referred me to was only a blog - or basically one man's opinion... Although well written and had some good information he says only that there is no evidence that it does work and he has zero factual evidence that it doesn't. I disagree with his hypothesis but respect it. There are several studies that show fasted state and depleted state cardio burns more calories. I never stated that it burns fat as no cardiovascular exercises actually burn fat - only raises metabolism and allows you to be in a caloric deficit state so you lose weight. There are many other factors that go into fat loss...
    I just let the OP know what worked best for me as he asked & you parroted my main advice that personal preference is the most important consideration.

I think you missed all the links to studies supporting that opinion.

No I caught them all... Again all the studies he referenced stated "We found no significant differences in fat loss between the groups."(Fasted state vs Interval)
    The site you referred me to was only a blog - or basically one man's opinion... Although well written and had some good information he says only that there is no evidence that it does work and he has zero factual evidence that it doesn't.

Read through it again. See all the words in blue letters? Those are links. Links to studies. Studies are sometimes considered evidence.

Krieger isn't just some hack "blogger" spouting half-cocked, unsupported layman opinions like so much of the dreck on the internet. From the "About James" section of his page:
    James Krieger is the founder of Weightology. He has a Master's degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master's degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months. His former clients include the founder of Sylvan Learning Centers and The Little Gym, the vice president of Costco, and a former vice president of MSN.

James is a published scientist, author, and speaker in the field of exercise and nutrition. He has published research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. In his previous lay publication, Weightology Weekly, he wrote over 70 articles per year covering the latest science in a manner that was friendly and easy to understand. James is also the former science editor for Pure Power Magazine, and the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, both publications that delivered scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In addition, James has given over 75 lectures on fitness-related topics to physicians, dietitians, and other professionals, and has been a speaker at major events such as the AFPT Conference and NSCA Personal Training Conference. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 20 years, and has written over 500 articles. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based, scientific approach to body transformation and health.

For more information on James's background and experience, view his curriculum vita.

Really? What's a study???

NONE of those studies showed fasted steady state cardio DOESN'T work which is what I said. Only that interval training cardio or HIIT works the same. Really, wow some common sense! So again - he says only that there is no evidence that it does work and he has zero factual evidence that it doesn't. Another point he made is the notion that with fasted steady state cardio you start breaking down or burning proteins halfway through training - this is highly possible but if your getting at least 1g protein per lbs of bodyweight and not doing 2 hours of cardio it won't effect you to the point you're breaking muscle down over fat.

Also, I never said he was some hack "blogger" but it is a blog and is his opinion right? I'm glad you can copy and paste but I read his bio prior to posting my comment.

Again, steady state fasted cardio in the morning has worked best for me. I see the advantages of HIIT and use it at times but just because James Kreiger says fasted cardio working best is a myth it does not make it so. Once more it's a matter of preference & what may work best for one person won't for another...

Just to clarify, are you stating that as a fact, or as your opinion?

For the record, my opinion is that there's nothing wrong with fasted cardio if that's what one wants to do. There are a lot of variables which are best determined by personal preference and "best" is a relative term. "Best" in what context? In that one feels the "best" training fasted? Great. In that fasted cardio in the morning is the "best" time because it fits in their schedule and they'll be most consistent working out at that time? Awesome. In that there's something magical about fasted cardio that makes it the "best" workout one can possibly do? No. That it's the "best" in terms of creating greater weight/fat loss? Nope.
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All my comments are only my opinion unless I either state otherwise or include a reference or link. If you re-read my original post I had best in quotation marks to set it off & show it was my opinion and that others may disagree. I never said or even thought that fasted steady state cardio is "magical". Do I think its best for me & does it work? Yes I do... Do I think it's the best type of cardio overall? No, but I know it works and that it's NOT a myth & don't think it's right for others to say it is. Now, I could list the reasons why and when I think fasted steady state cardio is the best (for myself) but I don't think that's what you were asking & it's beside the point I was making.
  • CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand training on an empty stomach. I spent a couple months in Thailand living at a Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing) gym and they train first thing in the morning before they serve breakfast. It was so brutal and I didn't get the results I had hoped for. Once I got back to Canada and continued to train I started to eat first and am seeing much better results. There has been extensive research done showing that it's actually more beneficial to train after you've eaten, but some people Just can't bring themselves to do it. If you can, eat something though. My absolute favourite Thing for first thing in the am before training is hemp seeds. They are so small but have so much energy and protein. I usually blend 1/4 cup in water to make a hemp "milk" and then I make a smoothie with that milk but you could just chug back the milk and call it a day (it doesn't taste good, just a heads up). But if you can get something in your body, that will help you tremendously with energy output. Just think of your body like a vehicle. It won't go if you don't put fuel in the tank! :)
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    AM definitely, clears my head and starts the day off right. But it's real early, I'm either on the treadmill/road or recumbent bike by 5 so there's not much time to eat before. I do drink a cup a coffee though. On the mornings I lift, I always eat prior. I think it really comes down to what works for you. I rarely blow off lifting so having to reschedule to the PM will work sometimes, but if it's cardio that needs to moved to the PM, there's a higher probability of it being blown off.