Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Grunting -- how important is it ...

_Bro
_Bro Posts: 437 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Science has proven that grunting is a sound.
As science is well aware, the louder the sound the heavier the object.
So if everyone can't hear you lifting weights your doing it wrong.
Thoughts?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I don't grunt. I'll make some sound though near a max squat. Usually it's like a "shhhh" sound when I come up and let out my breath. I've definitely made some other odd sounds too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    _Bro wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'll go back to the pink weights and toning.
    Haha! Obviously, my post is in jest... today I had to up the level of sound/headphones to escape the deathly moans that were being made by someone else "working" out

There is a guy like that at my gym. Always quarter rep benching and screaming at the top of his lungs. Typically I won't judge for not benching full rep range because powerlifters sometimes need to work portions of a lift, but I haven't ever seen him do anything other than bench and it's always only quarter reps at full volume.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Oh! Well I would t say that I judge but on the rare occasion that I do cardio I can't help but observe the half reps and people working the weight and not the muscle.. sometimes it's amusing and other times I have to consider wait a second do I do that?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    Reminds me of screaming in labor, my midwife basically told me not to waste my energy on it. I dont openly grunt either, there might be weird breathing noises and the occasional fart though:)

Hahaha! While I was in labour and I was kind of starting to let my voice go a little screamy, mine told me to try to keep it lower, kind of like a long steady grunt...it really worked to get through those last few contractions.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    I don't make sounds or faces when lifting, guess my 360 pound deadlift doesn't count.

The faces! I'm just discovering the different ones I make. Overhead presses make my lip move involuntarily (apparently this is common and has some scientific explanation). And now that my squats are feeling really heavy I make a kind of grimacing face sometimes. No sounds from me, though.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    _Bro wrote: »
    I'll go back to the pink weights and toning.
    Haha! Obviously, my post is in jest... today I had to up the level of sound/headphones to escape the deathly moans that were being made by someone else "working" out

There is a guy like that at my gym. Always quarter rep benching and screaming at the top of his lungs. Typically I won't judge for not benching full rep range because powerlifters sometimes need to work portions of a lift, but I haven't ever seen him do anything other than bench and it's always only quarter reps at full volume.

If I looked like you, I might be a bit judgy...
    pink weights and toning... lol... You better not! Peeps here are counting on you!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    sometimes i grunt if i'm going for some super heavy 1rm, and then i get all embarrassed that i made an involuntary sound and i hope no one heard. but i really try hard not to make a sound, because thats wasted energy and release of core pressure that is needed for my lift.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I loudly count my reps out loud instead of grunting. Fortunately for everyone buy my husband I lift at home.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    I noticed recently that I was making involuntary loud exhalations that were threatening to cross over into grunting. I decided to ignore it and to try not to be inhibited as that might negatively impact my performance. I hope I wasn't bothering anyone...
  • merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I grunt a little with heavy squats. Probably nothing anyone really cares about. Mostly, I just get real red in the face.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Some female tennis players think it is vital to have a good grunt.......