Grunting -- how important is it ...

Options
_Bro
_Bro Posts: 437 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Science has proven that grunting is a sound.
As science is well aware, the louder the sound the heavier the object.
So if everyone can't hear you lifting weights your doing it wrong.
Thoughts?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't grunt. I'll make some sound though near a max squat. Usually it's like a "shhhh" sound when I come up and let out my breath. I've definitely made some other odd sounds too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    _Bro wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'll go back to the pink weights and toning.
    Haha! Obviously, my post is in jest... today I had to up the level of sound/headphones to escape the deathly moans that were being made by someone else "working" out

There is a guy like that at my gym. Always quarter rep benching and screaming at the top of his lungs. Typically I won't judge for not benching full rep range because powerlifters sometimes need to work portions of a lift, but I haven't ever seen him do anything other than bench and it's always only quarter reps at full volume.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Oh! Well I would t say that I judge but on the rare occasion that I do cardio I can't help but observe the half reps and people working the weight and not the muscle.. sometimes it's amusing and other times I have to consider wait a second do I do that?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    Reminds me of screaming in labor, my midwife basically told me not to waste my energy on it. I dont openly grunt either, there might be weird breathing noises and the occasional fart though:)

Hahaha! While I was in labour and I was kind of starting to let my voice go a little screamy, mine told me to try to keep it lower, kind of like a long steady grunt...it really worked to get through those last few contractions.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't make sounds or faces when lifting, guess my 360 pound deadlift doesn't count.

The faces! I'm just discovering the different ones I make. Overhead presses make my lip move involuntarily (apparently this is common and has some scientific explanation). And now that my squats are feeling really heavy I make a kind of grimacing face sometimes. No sounds from me, though.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    _Bro wrote: »
    I'll go back to the pink weights and toning.
    Haha! Obviously, my post is in jest... today I had to up the level of sound/headphones to escape the deathly moans that were being made by someone else "working" out

There is a guy like that at my gym. Always quarter rep benching and screaming at the top of his lungs. Typically I won't judge for not benching full rep range because powerlifters sometimes need to work portions of a lift, but I haven't ever seen him do anything other than bench and it's always only quarter reps at full volume.

If I looked like you, I might be a bit judgy...
    pink weights and toning... lol... You better not! Peeps here are counting on you!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    sometimes i grunt if i'm going for some super heavy 1rm, and then i get all embarrassed that i made an involuntary sound and i hope no one heard. but i really try hard not to make a sound, because thats wasted energy and release of core pressure that is needed for my lift.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I loudly count my reps out loud instead of grunting. Fortunately for everyone buy my husband I lift at home.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I noticed recently that I was making involuntary loud exhalations that were threatening to cross over into grunting. I decided to ignore it and to try not to be inhibited as that might negatively impact my performance. I hope I wasn't bothering anyone...
  • merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I grunt a little with heavy squats. Probably nothing anyone really cares about. Mostly, I just get real red in the face.