Very anxious about transitioning to maintenance

Options
noobletmcnugget
noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
edited March 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
In a couple of weeks I'm planning to transition into maintenance (maybe staggering the increase in calories over several weeks).

I'm quite nervous about it though. I'm worried about things getting out of control and regaining.

So I guess I'm just interested to hear about everyone's experiences of transitioning to maintenance.

Thanks!

Replies

• Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Same question!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Why anxious? What's not to embrace about getting extra calories but basically doing what you've been doing to lose. Nothing changes apart from that. :smiley: maintenance rocks imo :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    More or less maintenance going on four years...I don't do anything different really now vs when i was losing save for I eat a handful more calories and have a little more wiggle room for "fun." I still eat the same way...I still exercise on the regular (actually I exercise more)...I step on the scale a couple times per week, etc.

The only difference really is a handful more calories.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    More or less maintenance going on four years...I don't do anything different really now vs when i was losing save for I eat a handful more calories and have a little more wiggle room for "fun." I still eat the same way...I still exercise on the regular (actually I exercise more)...I step on the scale a couple times per week, etc.

The only difference really is a handful more calories.

Four years is very impressive - congrats! You're right - maintenance should just be the same as what I'm doing now but with more calories to play with. It's not so scary when you put it like that. What's your maintenance range?
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    Why anxious? What's not to embrace about getting extra calories but basically doing what you've been doing to lose. Nothing changes apart from that. :smiley: maintenance rocks imo :smile:

When you put it like that it's not so scary! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I guess I'm just scared of reverting to my old ways and undoing all my progress. But you're right, it's just all the same stuff I'm doing now but easier because I'll have more calories to work with :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I think at the start of maintenence a lot of us have that fear but keep focused on staying in goal range and you'll have nothing to worry about :smile:
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    In a couple of weeks I'm planning to transition into maintenance (maybe staggering the increase in calories over several weeks).

I'm quite nervous about it though. I'm worried about things getting out of control and regaining.

So I guess I'm just interested to hear about everyone's experiences of transitioning to maintenance.

Thanks!

I am too.... :(
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am just about there too, but finding that the calories MFP gives me at .5 pounds a week seems to be my calorie total to maintain my weight. I will adjust if I find myself losing more than 2 pounds. It's been almost two weeks at that and I actually gained almost a pound. I found easing into it to be less scary for me. I changed it from 1.5 pounds a week to 1 pound a week to .5.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I am just about there too, but finding that the calories MFP gives me at .5 pounds a week seems to be my calorie total to maintain my weight. I will adjust if I find myself losing more than 2 pounds. It's been almost two weeks at that and I actually gained almost a pound. I found easing into it to be less scary for me. I changed it from 1.5 pounds a week to 1 pound a week to .5.

You won't have gained a true pound, it'll be water as your glycogen stores replenish now you are eating a bit more. It will settle back down soon.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Just continue counting calories and weigh yourself a couple of times a week. Don't pay too much attention to individual weigh-ins just the trend. The key is to have faith in the science. I'll use me as an example. My last few weeks of weight loss I was around 1600 calories and losing 1 lb per week. Since 1 pound = 3500 calories on average, that means if I added 500 calories per day I should be at maintenance. It worked.

So what if i was wrong and maintenance was only 2000 and not 2100? Then I'd be in a calorie surplus of 100/day or just under 1 lb per month. I won't magically gain all the weight back overnight which is why you have faith in the science and not in the unpredictable ups and downs of your weigh in. So if you choose a maintenance level and over a month or two your weight creeps up slightly, simply adjust downward a couple of hundred until it all stabilizes, or, if you want to cut quicker, go back to a 500 calorie deficit for a couple of weeks.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is a learning process. What you have to do is take what you learned during your weight loss journey and apply it to maintenance.

When I started maintenance my weight was 220 pounds. I totally screwed maintenance up and I drop down to 208. I'm happy where I am right now and that's what I've decided to maintain it.

One of the things I learned during maintenance is that everybody reacts differently to maintenance. I ate at my maintenance calories as suggested buy the mfp app and continued to lose weight. It was just a matter of increasing my calorie intake until my weight started to stabilize. What you have to remember is the mfp app is just a guideline based on a large population basis and everybody's going to react differently
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean. i was kinda thrown into maintenance mode today, while i had calculated i would need at least 2 more weeks to reach my goal weight.
    What i had done so far in anticipation of maintenance, was increase my calories very slowly. For a few months now i had been adding 50 calories to my daily goal (every 2-3 weeks). I did not want to go from eating x amount of calories to x+500 from one day to the next, and i had read that people's hunger grew significantly after going into maintenance. So by adding them in slowly i did not experience any more hunger than usual and my body got used to eating more again.
    Since my maintenance day arrived a bit sooner than i anticipated, and i didn't have time to execute my plan 100%, i used a tdee calculator (the mfp one gave me more calories than i feel is right), and i'll eat that for a few weeks. Until now i hadn't been eating my exercise calories back, but now i'll start with 50% and re-evaluate in 2-3 weeks.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I reached my GW last weekend and am just taking things really slowly. I added back 70 cals to my allowance but because I exercise quite a lot I have lost another half pound. Tomorrow I plan to add another 50-100 cals onto my day and give it another week. I'm too nervous to make really big changes, it took me almost a year to get here, no rush to reverse course.