I ATE PIZZA AND ICE CREAM BED, WOKE UP LESS FAT

Options

Replies

• HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    hmm but weight is just weight, did it come from water you had been retaining did it come from muscle loss? or what, do you actually know if those lbs were fat?
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ...or this is why you're down 11 pounds and not down 13.

you look at it as "victory i didn't gain weight"

i look at it as lost progress.

He was under his calorie target. For pure weight loss, he stayed on track. So no lost progress.

That's just a philosophy for lazy people. Eat correctly and you will get better results. Rationalizing it in this manner doesn't contribute to a lifestyle change.

Rushing to eat a pizza and ice cream when you're so tired that you can fall asleep in 15 minutes. That's not even hunger, that's just being mentally weak. Boasting about it makes me certain you won't even succeed.

Why on earth would you eat such garbage food when you've admitted you need to lose weight. It'd be like buying a $2000 tv when you're severely in debt, why needlessly add to it?

Why be content at 11lbs lost and then eat pizza/ice cream when you could have had a salad or something light and be at 12/13lbs lost.

You may be my new hero.
  • Vogela824
    Vogela824 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Topic was supposed to read "BEFORE BED." *facepalm*

But.... a pizza and ice cream bed sounds SO much more fascinating to me.... xD
  • GenF32
    Options
    Fortunately for me, I am not a girl, I am a woman, so your statement doesn't apply to me.

Good day to you.

*high five!*
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

He was under his calorie target. For pure weight loss, he stayed on track. So no lost progress.

That's just a philosophy for lazy people. Eat correctly and you will get better results. Rationalizing it in this manner doesn't contribute to a lifestyle change.

Rushing to eat a pizza and ice cream when you're so tired that you can fall asleep in 15 minutes. That's not even hunger, that's just being mentally weak. Boasting about it makes me certain you won't even succeed.

Why on earth would you eat such garbage food when you've admitted you need to lose weight. It'd be like buying a $2000 tv when you're severely in debt, why needlessly add to it?
    Why be content at 11lbs lost and then eat pizza/ice cream when you could have had a salad or something light and be at 12/13lbs lost.

You may be my new hero.

Some of us don't want or need to lose faster? I'm at a 1900+ goal. If I wanted to lose more if just drop more calories, but...I don't. The logic is faulty and presumes everyone wants/needs to lose weight as fast as possible. I'm at half a pound a week, which means in theory this will take 30 weeks. I could easily cut out another 250 a day, but I value a slow and steady loss and body recomp over the number on the scale.

Your hero standards are kinda...low.
  • GenF32
    Options

You may be my new hero.

Some of us don't want or need to lose faster? I'm at a 1900+ goal. If I wanted to lose more if just drop more calories, but...I don't. The logic is faulty and presumes everyone wants/needs to lose weight as fast as possible. I'm at half a pound a week, which means in theory this will take 30 weeks. I could easily cut out another 250 a day, but I value a slow and steady loss and body recomp over the number on the scale.

Your hero standards are kinda...low.

Ha! Well actually, I should have been more specific about which bits of his post I was applauding. I've also got mine set to only half a pound loss per week because I'm close to goal and don't want to be hungry or miserable. So we're in screaming agreement on that one :)
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    This happened to me last wednesday and thursday, went to a hotel and ate like never in 10 months, i was SO bloated, woke up on friday and the scale marked the lowest weight i have ever been. WTH?!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last wednesday and thursday, went to a hotel and ate like never in 10 months, i was SO bloated, woke up on friday and the scale marked the lowest weight i have ever been. WTH?!
    :drinker:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    He said, defiantly.

That's great for you. Some people don't want to eat pizza and ice cream, because it doesn't work for them.

Does that fact somehow affect YOUR life?

It doesn't affect my life because I know the truth. Pizza, ice cream, iguana sticks, etc may not work for some people due to a medical condition such as diabetes. However, if you are free from disease (And most of you are. Your thyroid is fine.) then it's all about the caloric deficit.

I take offense to people peddling arugula salads and spirulina tonics as the way to "be healthy" and lose weight. Desperate people arrive on forums like this and are told that hamburgers are fattening and they should only eat pancakes once and a while , which sets them up for failure.

My husband is 6'1" and weighs between 150-160 and he eats whatever he wants. He has a great metabolism. Does eating McDoubles, pizza or ice cream make him fat? NO. Does it make him healthy? NO. His most recent blood panel showed he had high cholesterol. He does not have diabetes, no hypothyroid (or hyper for that matter) and heart disease doesn't run in his family. He can run miles even if he hasn't exercised in months and he can pass every fitness test the military gives him. Does that make him healthy? Not according to his cholesterol levels. He needs to not eat McDoubles and pizza and ice cream in order to be healthy, NOT THIN. Please don't confuse the two.

How is the high cholesterol affecting his life? He is at an ideal weight and is fit. I'm not seeing what's negative about this scenario other than a number on a chart...

I didn't realize I'd have to explain that high cholesterol (just to be clear I am referring to LDL not HDL) is bad for you and that even without heart disease being a genetic factor it can be the result of high cholesterol. What it comes down to is that if my husband did not change his eating habits he could have heart issues (including possible cardiac arrest) amongst other things, even without genetic predisposition.

Your lack of acknowledgement of the health issues associated with eating foods that are nutritionally empty and, in fact, have high amounts of things that a human should not have in high amounts (and sometimes not at all) does not make it is okay to eat crap in order to lose weight as long as you don't eat too much crap. I think anyone with half a brain can figure out that if you use more calories in a day than you take in that you will lose weight (as long as there aren't underlying health issues). Does that mean you are equally less likely to die of a heart attack in ten years or get type II diabetes than someone that lost weight eating healthy, nutritional foods? NO

Since I am not a doctor I have copied this link for you: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-cholesterol/DS00178

Feel free to find any reliable source that points out that having high LDL isn't that bad for you.

Her Husband is also in the military, High LDL will get him on a list and regardless of his general weight or how healthy he is will not matter he will still get on the med list and if not corrected will possibly get him on another list as non-deploy-able. For a professional soldier that is a list you do not want to be on. Its more then #s on a chart.
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have not given up anything since I started M F P and have continued to lose at a steady rate.I am a firm believer in IIFIYM eat it!
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're having such a reading comprehension problem. I never once said eating fast food is the only reason for my parents' health problems. A 'contributing factor' indicates that there is likely other contributing factors as well. Of course one can get far eating home cooking. I didn't say that they couldn't. Again, you're still trying to pin everything on fast food. I'm not blaming an order of french fries for a heart attack. I can't decide if you're being purposefully obtuse, or truly don't understand, but it seems pointless to argue.

Anyone who has studied nutrition for 5 minutes understands that a well-balanced diet is better for your long term health. Most people who eat 2-3 meals a day in restaurants for years, laden in grease, fried foods, rich dressings and chemical junk usually aren't consuming a well-balanced diet. I didn't say it's impossible, I didn't say you can't eat the same way at home, and I didn't say that some people can't be skinny eating that way. I was specifically speaking of the lifestyle I personally viewed growing up and why I personally can't recommend others eat that way because it's not just about calories in / calories out TO ME. I am trying to change the habits that *I* grew up with and make smarter decisions for my health. That's my personal decision. If you choose otherwise, so be it.
  • dta4ever
    dta4ever Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As far as calories and calories alone, fast food works just as good as celery as long as you don't exceed your calories for the day. However, as far as everything else is considered, fast food is not the way to go on a regular basis. Sure, just about everyone eats fast food every now and then. Consistency is always key!
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Call me jealous, lol. This 50 year old, menopausal woman would not have the same results with your menu yesterday.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're having such a reading comprehension problem. I never once said eating fast food is the only reason for my parents' health problems. A 'contributing factor' indicates that there is likely other contributing factors as well. Of course one can get far eating home cooking. I didn't say that they couldn't. Again, you're still trying to pin everything on fast food. I'm not blaming an order of french fries for a heart attack. I can't decide if you're being purposefully obtuse, or truly don't understand, but it seems pointless to argue.

Anyone who has studied nutrition for 5 minutes understands that a well-balanced diet is better for your long term health. Most people who eat 2-3 meals a day in restaurants for years, laden in grease, fried foods, rich dressings and chemical junk usually aren't consuming a well-balanced diet. I didn't say it's impossible, I didn't say you can't eat the same way at home, and I didn't say that some people can't be skinny eating that way. I was specifically speaking of the lifestyle I personally viewed growing up and why I personally can't recommend others eat that way because it's not just about calories in / calories out TO ME. I am trying to change the habits that *I* grew up with and make smarter decisions for my health. That's my personal decision. If you choose otherwise, so be it.

See, no one disagrees with this statement. But this is decidedly not what you implied with your earlier, alarmist, and unverifiable statements. I don't think we have a comprehension problem. We read it exactly how you put it across
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Disappointed not to learn what an ice cream bed is.

Me too! :laugh:
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. Eating pizza, ice cream and McD's everyday is not going to allow you to lose weight consistently. My husband has lost relatively the same amount of weight and he eats burgers, fries and beer on a weekly basis. Personally, eating that weekly causes me to gain but I certainly enjoy fattening food occasionally.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    what about nutrition?

That doesn't factor in with a lot of the people in the General Diet and Weight Loss Help and Food and Nutrition forums on mfp. If you eat garbage and lose weight you're doing it right, regardless of what havoc it may doing to other facets of your health. You will get flamed mercilessly for being concerned about your overall health vs. dropping a pound or two.

It's truly a crazy phenomenon, isn't it? There's so much defiance from those that eat junk food and lose weight, that those of us that try to eat healthy (most of the time) are doing something 'wrong.' Yes, my thyroid is fine. Yes, I understand that calorie deficit is king, and I can get that eating cheeseburgers and pizza every day. But I'm trying to do more than just lose weight, and since I think it's important to be healthy (which includes being at a healthy weight, but is more than just tha), that's what I would advocate for others if they asked for my advice. If they choose to do it on a steady diet of McDonalds and Burger King, then great for them. I just can't recommend it with a good conscious - that's how I got fat, and I'm sure what contributed to my dad being obese, and my mom (not obese) having a heart attack and stroke before age 50.

Proof? Or simply baseless conjecture?

Apparently many people do not know the meaning of the word- 'contribute'. So here you go-

Definition of CONTRIBUTE
    transitive verb
    : to give or supply in common with others <contribute money to a cause>
    : to supply (as an article) for a publication
    intransitive verb
    a : to give a part to a common fund or store <contribute to a fund-raising campaign>
    b : to play a significant part in bringing about an end or result <many players have contributed to the team's success>

If this woman's parents ate unhealthily for all of their life and ended up obese, with a heart attack and stroke, then I would imagine that every respectable doctor would agree that their diet CONTRIBUTED to their health issues.

I think she has been sufficiently drawn and quartered now.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I am not this lucky. If I eat within three hours or so before going to bed, I will inevitably be up the next morning.

ummm...you realize the food you eat had actual weight before you ate it, and once you put that weight in your body, the weight of your body now weighs the amount of the food until it's digested and used as fuel or expelled from your body, right? like, if I drink 2 liter of diet coke and then weigh myself right after, i'm going to weigh more. we're on the same page here, right?

So you are saying that the food she ate at 7pm, then went to sleep at 10. When she woke up at 7am, the food would still be in her body, undigested, and unused by her body to keep her alive for the past 12 hours? So the scale would still show the weight of the food she ate 12 hours earlier?
  • kimshort81
    kimshort81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i always thought this as well. IIFYM, eat whatever you want as long as you stay under cals, etc etc......i would often eat ice cream or pizza upon occasion, but never every day.

well, while i was on vacation last week, i did tons of walking, some biking & swimming as well. I tracked it all with my fitbit & HRM. I ate ice cream every single day, and had pizza almost every day. brought my food scale to use when i could & did my best to estimate cals accurately when logging. I managed to stay under cals almost every day, and as an average for the week i am definitely under my cal goal. i was really hoping to discover that i could maintain on such a diet.....

yet this week i have noticed a significant amount of tummy pudge. i am getting back the muffin top i worked so hard to get rid...so disappointed. i will have to go back to only occasional pizza & ice cream

And therein lies the problem....I can eat the same amount of calories and weigh the same, but can tell a huge difference in my body (especially the waistline) if I eat junk instead of my usual healthier, cleaner meals. Besides, if I tried to manage my calorie intake while eating junk, I would go hungry a lot. So...I do a cheat day once a week, with a "cheat day" normally meaning I eat a good breakfast & lunch, then go out with my husband for pizza & beer, ice cream, whatever I may have been craving over the past week. I usually don't hold back or worry about calories at all on this particular day. HOWEVER, this usually follows a 7-9 mile date-night run :) If I deviate from this pattern and decide I deserve a scoop of ice cream another day during the week after a run or workout, I will be able to tell - just not on the scales.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

See, no one disagrees with this statement. But this is decidedly not what you implied with your earlier, alarmist, and unverifiable statements. I don't think we have a comprehension problem. We read it exactly how you put it across

I didn't "imply" anything. I was pretty clear several times that you can eat at a deficit and lose weight, and that my parent's unhealthy eating was a CONTRIBUTING factor, which would imply there were other factors. Obviously they weren't eating at a calorie deficit, and MY OPINION is that MOST (not all) people eating a steady diet of fast food aren't eating at a deficit either. I don't know if there's a study that agrees with me, that's why I claim it to be my opinion.

Here's what I said:
    since I think it's important to be healthy (which includes being at a healthy weight, but is more than just that), that's what I would advocate for others if they asked for my advice. If they choose to do it on a steady diet of McDonalds and Burger King, then great for them. I just can't recommend it with a good conscious - that's how I got fat, and I'm sure what contributed to my dad being obese, and my mom (not obese) having a heart attack and stroke before age 50.

The bottom line is this. I know what lifestyle I grew up with. I know that I had to see my mom have a heart attack when I was in high school, and then have a stroke and almost die while I was away on spring break in college. I have to watch herself check her blood sugar every day to keep her diabetes in check. I'm the one that has to watch my previously independent, carefree, happy-go-lucky mom not be able to use her right arm at all - having to learn how to write left handed, walk with a cane, give up making the baby quilts she enjoyed making so much, and watch her struggle to do every day tasks like open a can of soup. You can argue that she could have gotten fat and had a stroke just eating home cooked meals, full of fruits and vegetables. But that's not my reality. And so I am choosing to take a different path in life. I can't recommend people eat a diet of nothing but fast food because it goes against everything I've seen in my own personal life. It is personal TO ME. As I said (quoted above) it's what I tell people if they ASK for my advice because being healthy is important to me. I don't stand at the pulpit brow-beating people into eating healthy.