Vegan vs Paleo perspectives on oil?

2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pathmonkey wrote: »
    Holy moley......well folks as I stated, this was my opinion, not advice. Didn't expect to get picked apart for it but whatever. btw, i'm well aware that quinoa isn't a grain Jane. This Paleo thing has been the only thing in the last three years that has worked. All the vegetarian, low cal, high carb, low fat and not one thing worked. This did with some unexpected health benefits along the way. I wasn't about to go into great detail on a public form and honestly didn't expect to have to defend my own personal opinion, but as a cancer survivor I treaded very carefully into any dietary change. It's not just my family doc supporting this, it's also my oncologist, nutritionist, and oncologist/surgeon. I have to assume they know more than all of us put together.

More likely what your doctors are getting at is an emphasis on whole foods in your diet...not specifically paleo itself...which ironically promotes whole food nutrition and then turns around and demonizes certain whole foods, which is probably my biggest issue with the whole "approved" foods crap.

I eat a primarily whole foods diet...I don't have any kind of special name for it...and I don't have a list of approved and unapproved whole foods...just whole foods...

Yeah, pretty much this.

Pathmonkey, no one is picking you apart for how you eat, but when you insist that a particular way of eating is how we are MEANT to eat and that other quite healthy ways are not, well, that will get a response.

So often people who claim huge benefits from things like going paleo weren't eating many whole foods or vegetables or a nutrient dense diet before and for some reason the paleo thing operated as an incentive. In other cases they had issues with particular foods (grains/gluten or dairy or the like) that made it particularly good for them, but not generally applicable advice.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Holy moley......well folks as I stated, this was my opinion, not advice. Didn't expect to get picked apart for it but whatever. btw, i'm well aware that quinoa isn't a grain Jane. This Paleo thing has been the only thing in the last three years that has worked. All the vegetarian, low cal, high carb, low fat and not one thing worked. This did with some unexpected health benefits along the way. I wasn't about to go into great detail on a public form and honestly didn't expect to have to defend my own personal opinion, but as a cancer survivor I treaded very carefully into any dietary change. It's not just my family doc supporting this, it's also my oncologist, nutritionist, and oncologist/surgeon. I have to assume they know more than all of us put together.

Nothing wrong with sharing what has worked for you, but when you make a statement like 'Paleo is the way we are meant to eat', that's going to cause some push back, because there's lots of people here who have been tremendously successful with their weight, health and fitness goals, while eating all sorts of different ways. There is no 'one' way-different things work for different people, and the important thing is that we find out what works best for us individually and then run with that :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited March 2017
    Just like no one medication will work the same for everyone, neither will one sort of diet. There is no one way we should all be eating and to make claims that there are is going to get a negative response. You are entitled to an opinion but when your opinion offends others they are entitled to tell you.

The thing I like most about this community over other similar ones is that it is safe and supportive. We acknowledge that there are so many successful ways to lose weight and gain health and that one way is not more superior than another, except for us as individuals because it worked for us. Pleaee don't change this with blanket statements of 'paleo is how we are meant to eat.'
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

What people were challenging wasn't your personal opinion, but your statements of fact about the way that humans are meant to eat (as well as some factual errors, like quinoa being a legume).

Of course you can eat whatever you'd like. But when you make statements about how everyone is meant to eat or certain foods being harmful, people may respond to that and discuss whether or not it's factual.