How not to be a gym douche...

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member

1) Clean your weights (take the weights off the bar when you're done).
2) Keep the weights organized (Don't make the next guy remove three 45 lbs plates to get to one 2.5).
3) Get the **** away from the weight rack with your little curls and shrugs.
4) Don't leave your dumbbells or plates on the floor.
5) Notice the people around you, and don't talk to your friend for 5 minutes between sets.

Replies

• thepiratemd
    Options

5) Notice the people around you, and don't talk to your friend for 5 minutes between sets.

or **** around with your cell phone for 5 minutes between sets!

"yea yea I see you guys waiting. I need to check facebook and send a few texts first!"
    back when I was in college this was annoying, I can only imagine how bad the cellphone issue has gotten in recent years
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Some people "****ing around on their cell phones" between sets may be taking down notes or updating a workout app. If you can see that they're blatantly on Facebook then that's one thing, but assuming everyone with a phone in their hand is ****ing around is unfair.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I hate hate hate hate it when people leave the plates on the floor. It's a pain to find the right one because they're scattered all over the place! People don't even have the courtesy to put the barbells back in my gym. Trying to find two 15 lb barbells around there is like going on a scavenger hunt. SO FRUSTRATING.

Also, there are only 2 squat racks at my gym. If you're not doing squats in there, get the f*** out. I'm too nice to tell people to go curl their dumbells somewhere else, but really? COMMON SENSE.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options

agreed, had an ahole texting that nealy broke my neck.

he was walking while texting towards what he thought was an empty squat rack. I had just gone down to squat with 90lbs on my shoulders, he f-ngs bumps into me! I lose my balance and I fall forward on my knees and I had to get someone to help me get back up, my back and neck hurt like hell

Once the weight was off, I spun around and unleashed hell on him. he got banned from the gym for endangering others with his stupid phone. I wish I could of just grab the thing and fling it across the gym and yell "FETCH"
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

2) Keep the weights organized (Don't make the next guy remove three 45 lbs plates to get to one 2.5).

6) Don't ask me when I'll be done with the bench or machine ... this drives me crazy!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    So say something to them. If they ignore you, embarrass them. Take the bull by the horns and show them what is acceptable and what isn't. If you're called a bully.......put on the waterworks and talk about hurt feelings. :tongue:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Don't monopolize the gym's only set of bumper plates for your stupid brocurls.
  • thepiratemd
    Options
    Don't monopolize the gym's only set of bumper plates for your stupid brocurls.

sometimes you just gotta let those badboys drop after curling some xtreme weight
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Agree with all except this one - not sure I care what people do between their sets. 5 minutes isn't crazy IMO
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

he was walking while texting towards what he thought was an empty squat rack. I had just gone down to squat with 90lbs on my shoulders, he f-ngs bumps into me! I lose my balance and I fall forward on my knees and I had to get someone to help me get back up, my back and neck hurt like hell

Once the weight was off, I spun around and unleashed hell on him. he got banned from the gym for endangering others with his stupid phone. I wish I could of just grab the thing and fling it across the gym and yell "FETCH"

OMG! Did your back and neck heal quickly??
  • teenhamodic
    Options

sorry - all that was me this past week.

not srs.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

have seen this thread about a million times... BUT this weekend I went to a different location for my gym. I was SHOCKED, I walked in as they opened on Saturday, all of the weights were put away, perfectly! Not a single one out of place, anywhere!

I plan to complain to my gym manager today when I go because Saturday mornings my gym looks like it got ransacked the night before.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options

OMG! Did your back and neck heal quickly??

my neck was fine in a couple of days, my back took a bit longer but I am good now =) trying to reach my goal of squatting 200lbs
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    Freaking race me to the bench (literally he was walking as fast as he could without breaking out in a sprint and looking over at me smirking). Funny thing was I wasn't even going to use the bench
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    DON'T be OP
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

6) Don't ask me when I'll be done with the bench or machine ... this drives me crazy!

Wrong dude. You just need to relax. I mean, if the guy is hounding you I get it, but if they just ask how many sets you have left, you need to tell them and get on with your lifts.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Really? Does it also drive you crazy if I asked to work in a set because I am on a time constraint and I need to use the particular equipment you're on?
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options

^^^agree!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Agree with all except this one - not sure I care what people do between their sets. 5 minutes isn't crazy IMO

It is when I need to work in a set on the equipment you're monopolizing while chit chatting to your friends.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i fart a LOT when doing leg press on heavy days.

maybe add that as #7?