What do you do when you feel unattractive?

Options

Replies

• AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    This is something I struggle with daily. I admittedly let it overtake my thoughts far more than I should as an adult. The biggest issue I have, I guess, is there is so little evidence to the contrary. I don’t generally get approached, and some personal betrayal plays a heavy role in my anxiety over the whole thing. It’s not something I really talk about with people I know, so thank god for the fairly anonymous chatrooms on an internet weightloss forum, I guess.
  • JukeboxHeroine
    JukeboxHeroine Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've been to makeup counters. In my experience they are a little heavy handed with the makeup and I look like a little girl playing dress up. I've tried for the "less is more " look. I've lost 67 lbs since April so I've got that going for me, which is nice.
    Everyone's profile pic is awesome and I want shake all of you who say you look/feel ugly. Y'all are awesome!
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I've been to makeup counters. In my experience they are a little heavy handed with the makeup and I look like a little girl playing dress up. I've tried for the "less is more " look. I've lost 67 lbs since April so I've got that going for me, which is nice.
    Everyone's profile pic is awesome and I want shake all of you who say you look/feel ugly. Y'all are awesome!

maybe a basic makeup tutorial on youtube would help you out more? some of those girls use ridiculous amounts of makeup to look "natural" but there are some good ones with light makeup.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    I'm 33 and I never learned a thing about hair, makeup, or clothes. I feel unattractive almost every single day.

Some days, I feel bad enough I make zero effort because I feel like I'm not worth the effort. Other days a little makeup and an outfit I like helps. Sometimes cute lingerie gives me a confidence boost. There are rare days I even feel pretty.

I hope the suggestions others have offered help you out. Everyone deserves to feel good about their appearance. :)

Just wanted to say...You are most definitely worth the effort! You're a very pretty lady regardless...but never feel like you aren't worth the time or effort to make yourself feel good about you!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I never feel, like, ugly, but I never feel sexy at all. I just learned to live with it.
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    More like sometimes I have days where I feel attractive.

For the past year and a half I have just ignored how I look and as most of you said "fake it till you make it" really helped me. I honestly don't care what I look like in public anymore. Like I didn't come to the grocery store to dazzle anyone with my looks.

One thing that helped me when I looked in the mirror at myself I'd say "if you wouldn't say it to a friend don't say it to yourself" and that stopped me from criticizing how I look. Also I saw a picture that said "we get so worried about being "pretty" lets be pretty kind, pretty funny, pretty smart, pretty strong."
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I look around and think "well, I ain't as ugly as THAT person".

I usually say it out loud and point.

What if they reply with "no you're uglier?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Post in selfie threads on MFP

• JukeboxHeroine
    JukeboxHeroine Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Post in selfie threads on MFP

Great idea!
  • AbetterMe1995
    AbetterMe1995 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I feel unattractive I either do my makeup and get all fix up , dye my hair or get a tattoo
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Take a long bath and put extra care into my grooming routine. Put a little extra effort into myself. Pamper myself a little more than usual. Grooming and hygiene doesn't just make you look good, it makes you feel good too.
  • Pamela_43
    Pamela_43 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I shop and go to the salon and spa.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    First assess: what do I like about my appearance, and what do I not like? what can I change and what do I have to accept?

Maybe you have beautiful eyes, good skin and a nice nose! captalise on those things!

Don't like your arms, feel overweight, unhappy with your teeth? you could lift weights to tone up, lose a bit more weight and consider getting your teeth whitened (or just use whitening toothpaste).

Make sure you are using the right products for your skin and hair. You may look better if you get a hair cut or get some highlights thrown in. Use a face mask occassionally, and make sure you cleanse, tone and moisterise your face. Moisterise your skin to make it soft and pretty.

Make some fashion/beauty boards on a pinterest. Figure out what your body shape is, and what celebrities have the same shape. Collect pictures from those celebrities wearing outfits that you like, and figure out how to recreate those looks. I found the Trinny and Susannah and Gok Wan books/videos helpful. Also make boards about make-up looks and different hairstyles. Print out some, and take to different beauty experts (people that work at beauty counters, hair dressers etc) and ask what colours and styles would suit you. Ask the make-up person to do a few looks for you, than buy the products.

Keep yourself well groomed. Get your eyebrows shaped and learn how to keep them that way yourself. Brush your teeth 2-3 times a day, learn how to keep your hair nice (I haven't mastered this one myself) and buy some perfumes you like.

I don't like the idea of having other people choose your looks for you. I think everyone has their own sense of style. When other people chose my outfits for me I felt like they weren't reflecting my personality or picking the most flattering clothing. If you are going to take other peoples advice, at least have some idea of what you like. Be open to trying new things, sometimes things that look horrible on the hanger look amazing on the body.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Also consider some things like getting beauty treatments done at a beauty school (they often have discounts from students learning how to do beauty treatments) like getting your hair done, eyebrows tinted, nails etc. I think everyone should get their hair trimmed every six weeks or so to keep looking fresh. If I leave my hair for too long, I start to look run down. Get your greys covered up, even if you use a home dye kit. I'm 27 and have grey hairs, its the only thing revealing my age- people usually think I'm much younger.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'd love to learn more about wearing makeup :) We weren't allowed to wear it in the family. "Good" girls didn't do that (insert rolleyes here). I'm 40 and I let my girls experiment, but we pretty much watch YouTube to figure that stuff out :D

Remember how hellaciously awesome you really are. Focus on something positive, even if it's minor. You got up. You lost a quarter lb. You decided to go for a walk instead of sitting in front of the television - or YouTube :p

Clean out those external influences from your brain that might slide you a negative vibe. Some cute guy/gal didn't give you the time of day. Or someone paid another person a compliment about their looks, and ignored you and your hard work. Or maybe you felt passed over in consideration for something. Oftentimes, we base our attractiveness on external validation. It can be tough as social critters to NOT want that external nod, but we have to realize how amazing and beautiful we are without it.

Also, we all go through down times. Just don't let the head garbage kill your insides. Personality is a great thing, after all. Hugs to you! <3
  • bjn50
    bjn50 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Take a shower, do my hair and put on makeup.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my profile picture. Uh, in spite of these looks I have a wonder life, a wonderful wife, kids, grandkids, job, social life & spiritual life. I keep good hygiene, exercise and LIVE!