Why do people put on muscle after lightweight/high reps?

Options
13»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Back and leaner than last fall at 1600-1800kcal daily

I'd hope you were shredded after subjecting yourself to such low cals...
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    So I got a couple of those genetic testing kits done and they both came back with a result saying that I have a higher percentage of "fast twitch" (also called type II) muscle fibres. Some people are higher percentage of "slow twitch" (type I), and some are balanced between the two.

Fast twitch are the "power" muscles, slow twitch are the "endurance" muscles.

Fast twitch muscle fibres grow a bit bigger, and extensive testing has shown that power athletes almost universally have this genotype for majority fast twitch.
    Long distance runners, bikers, and other endurance athletes most often have more slow twitch fibers.

If you know which one is dominant in you, you can optimize your training for the maximum results. If you have mostly fast twitch muscle, high intensity, low rep workouts, and HIIT cardio are your best bet. If you have more slow twitch muscle, then you are better served by higher reps and lower weights, and steady state cardio. If you happen to be balanced, you can choose to train for your preferred goal.

Athletigen has a service where you can take your raw data from one of the other genetic testing companies and import it for some targeted nutrition and training advice. I did and have gotten good results from it... I don't have any stake in any of the above, and as with anything YMMV but it certainly supports the idea that high intensity low reps is better for some, and high rep, lower intensity is better for others.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I got a couple of those genetic testing kits done and they both came back with a result saying that I have a higher percentage of "fast twitch" (also called type II) muscle fibres. Some people are higher percentage of "slow twitch" (type I), and some are balanced between the two.

Fast twitch are the "power" muscles, slow twitch are the "endurance" muscles.

Fast twitch muscle fibres grow a bit bigger, and extensive testing has shown that power athletes almost universally have this genotype for majority fast twitch.
    Long distance runners, bikers, and other endurance athletes most often have more slow twitch fibers.

If you know which one is dominant in you, you can optimize your training for the maximum results. If you have mostly fast twitch muscle, high intensity, low rep workouts, and HIIT cardio are your best bet. If you have more slow twitch muscle, then you are better served by higher reps and lower weights, and steady state cardio. If you happen to be balanced, you can choose to train for your preferred goal.

Athletigen has a service where you can take your raw data from one of the other genetic testing companies and import it for some targeted nutrition and training advice. I did and have gotten good results from it... I don't have any stake in any of the above, and as with anything YMMV but it certainly supports the idea that high intensity low reps is better for some, and high rep, lower intensity is better for others.

IMO, people are better off training a variety of rep ranges and styles to work on their weaknesses as much as their strengths to achieve greater balance.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So true.

Only benefit might be to someone that decides they are going to sacrifice a bunch of stuff in their life and what to be a body builder or power lifter because they have enjoyed some program briefly.

Might be good, since available now, to see if you have the genetic potential to even go that desired direction.

I've always wondered if I really do have a higher ratio TI fibers - or my endurance training has just prevented possibly a higher TII from being trained well enough.

Then again, I'm cheap, I mean thrifty, and have to much fun on the bike and running.
  • alexrosader
    alexrosader Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Back and leaner than last fall at 1600-1800kcal daily

I'd hope you were shredded after subjecting yourself to such low cals...

You bet I am!not as much as summer but Def finely leaner than last fall I'm only 148-150lbs 5'8 if I went 2500-2800cal daily I'd look like a donut
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    On the "different rep ranges" comment (...that people train a variety or rep ranges....) - absolutely agree. But, then again, it all depends on what your goals are.

I could not find the studies, but I promise that they are there, but there are studies out there that show that working a body part | muscle group in the ~5-rep range once a week and then working that same body part | muscle group in the ~12-rep range in that same week is a very good thing. So, you get power and you get hypertrophy for the body part | muscle group twice a week. Furthermore, you do the lower rep | higher weight early in the week and you do the higher rep | lower weight later in the week.

Please forgive my HORRIBLE wording to this and please excuse the lack of precise rep range. I am sure that someone has these studies saved. I will look for them.

Don't y'all just love a horribly phrased summary to scientific data? :blush:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    One last point then im out... so if your a women and used to walking in heels all day. You think low reps are going to build your calfs??? Thats my 2cents.
    Look at obese people. Many don't walk in heels, aren't doing any reps, but progressive weight gain (resistance) over the years has helped build up their calves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    One last point then im out... so if your a women and used to walking in heels all day. You think low reps are going to build your calfs??? Thats my 2cents.
    Look at obese people. Many don't walk in heels, aren't doing any reps, but progressive weight gain (resistance) over the years has helped build up their calves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm in the "it's mostly genetics" camp with calves. I train the *kitten* out of mine and they are less than impressive. My wife never trains hers and they look like boulders. Her sisters, who don't work out at all are the same. Huge, impressive calves.