Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Clean eating

Replies

• perfectjewel
    perfectjewel Posts: 15 Member
    Someone pointed out "clean eating" does have different meanings. To me, it means whole foods plant-based. Yogurt can be that - without the added sugar, with happy cows, organic, local, sustainable, etc. I don't eat yogurt, but if I did, I'd eat plain yogurt (low fat most likely) and add fruit for sweetness if I wanted it. Fat is a part of clean eating. I eat a lot of fat actually, in the form of nuts, avocado, seeds, some oil, etc. I don't worry about how much fat is in my diet though do put a lot less in recipes (like I make an awesome hummus with no added oil), and I have easily lost 70 pounds in the past year by simply eating a clean diet (minimally processed foods, minimal sugar, no additives/chemicals etc. etc.). If you do want non-fat yogurt, check out the ingredients in Trader Joe's (I used to eat their plain non-fat)- looking good!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited March 2017
    jonilynn70 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light for me on now low fat or fat free Greek yogurt can be included in clean eating recipes when the ingredient list is huge and full of junk? And the full fat type is 300 calories for a cup!!! Help!!

What kind of Greek Yogurt are you looking at that has an ingredient list full of junk?

I use Fage nonfat, plain Greek yogurt...ingredients:

Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus).

Also, "clean" has nothing to do with calories...it's pretty much a meaningless term anyways...everyone has a different stance on "clean", but it really doesn't have anything to do with calories. There are many whole foods that are highly nutritious and also calorie bombs.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jonilynn70 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light for me on now low fat or fat free Greek yogurt can be included in clean eating recipes when the ingredient list is huge and full of junk? And the full fat type is 300 calories for a cup!!! Help!!

What kind of Greek Yogurt are you looking at that has an ingredient list full of junk?

I use Fage nonfat, plain Greek yogurt...ingredients:

Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus).

Also, "clean" has nothing to do with calories...it's pretty much a meaningless term anyways...everyone has a different stance on "clean", but it really doesn't have anything to do with calories. There are many whole foods that are highly nutritious and also calorie bombs.

Yeah, I don't know what is "clean". I don't even find the label on the yoplait in my lunch bag that scary, but I guess some people would.

The "don't eat something if you don't understand the ingredients" won't really work for yogurt if you don't know bacterias.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This is the thing
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Someone pointed out "clean eating" does have different meanings. To me, it means whole foods plant-based. Yogurt can be that - without the added sugar, with happy cows, organic, local, sustainable, etc. I don't eat yogurt, but if I did, I'd eat plain yogurt (low fat most likely) and add fruit for sweetness if I wanted it. Fat is a part of clean eating. I eat a lot of fat actually, in the form of nuts, avocado, seeds, some oil, etc. I don't worry about how much fat is in my diet though do put a lot less in recipes (like I make an awesome hummus with no added oil), and I have easily lost 70 pounds in the past year by simply eating a clean diet (minimally processed foods, minimal sugar, no additives/chemicals etc. etc.). If you do want non-fat yogurt, check out the ingredients in Trader Joe's (I used to eat their plain non-fat)- looking good!

so anything not whole foods is dirty?

This is what annoys me too. I have no scientific problem with trying to eat more fruit and veg and consider environmental impact and cook more from scratch. These are all great things. But "clean eating" doesn't mean that. All it means is "my way of eating is better than yours" - and the way of eating that counts as "clean" is different every time. It's just tiring.

As for 250g yoghurt, I generally eat 150 - I could definitely see myself eating 250 on a hungry day.

no, it is a ridiculous concept that has no basis in reality and has about a million different definitions.

Instead of worrying about what foods are clean, dirty, good, bad just eat a balanced diet and make sure that you meet your calorie, micro, macro targets.

There are no bad foods, only bad diets.

?

That's what I was saying.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Plain greek yogurt that's just milk and cultures - you don't gain anything in the "clean eating" brownie points for making it yourself. I checked our brand - Wegmans house brand is milk and three or four lactobacilli strains. Yum!

Buy plain and then add your own flavors. You can control the sweetness and texture. Add some jam, add some honey, add a sprinkle of sugar to take the edge off the tartness. Add cut up fruit, or canned fruit and fruit juice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Someone pointed out "clean eating" does have different meanings. To me, it means whole foods plant-based. Yogurt can be that - without the added sugar, with happy cows, organic, local, sustainable, etc.

I love yogurt and eat it a lot, but one thing it indisputably is not is plant-based. Can it be part of a plant-based diet? Depending on how you define that, sure, why not. A 100% plant-based diet? No. Because is it itself plant-based? No, it comes from an animal.
    If you do want non-fat yogurt, check out the ingredients in Trader Joe's (I used to eat their plain non-fat)- looking good!

As people have noted, there are tons of non-fat yogurts without added ingredients. The key is picking plain (if you care about that). I pick plain just because I like flavoring it myself with fruit of my choice.

Clean seems to mean whatever people think it means, and mostly just indicates that you want to call your diet clean for some reason. Whatever helps, I guess. (I happen to eat mostly from whole foods, etc. too, but I don't have a desire to claim that's cleaner than how others eat.)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    savithny wrote: »
    Plain greek yogurt that's just milk and cultures - you don't gain anything in the "clean eating" brownie points for making it yourself.

True. However, it's cheaper, and it's satisfying to those of us who enjoy festering our own food at home.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Here in Canada I very much enjoy the Astro Balkan style yogurt. It has three ingredients; skim milk, cream, and bacterial cultures. I buy it in Wal-Mart. If you don't have it where you live why don't you move to Canada? We have a photogenic leader.

The natural sugar content is 3g per 100 grams.

The additives and thickeners I have seen in Yogurt might be carrageenan or gelatin; pretty harmless of themselves.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you don't have it where you live why don't you move to Canada? We have a photogenic leader.

At last, a cost-effective solution!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here in Canada I very much enjoy the Astro Balkan style yogurt. It has three ingredients; skim milk, cream, and bacterial cultures. I buy it in Wal-Mart. If you don't have it where you live why don't you move to Canada? We have a photogenic leader.

The natural sugar content is 3g per 100 grams.

The additives and thickeners I have seen in Yogurt might be carrageenan or gelatin; pretty harmless of themselves.

But no Talenti in Canada. I'm not sure if the photogenic leader is enough to sway me to give up my Talenti....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Plain greek yogurt that's just milk and cultures - you don't gain anything in the "clean eating" brownie points for making it yourself.

True. However, it's cheaper, and it's satisfying to those of us who enjoy festering our own food at home.

Festering food at home does sound like something I want to do, or at least be able to tell people I'm doing!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited March 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Festering food at home does sound like something I want to do, or at least be able to tell people I'm doing!

There are all sorts of festering options. Bread, beer, yoghurt, sauerkraut/kimchi, kefir, cheese... once you embrace the possibilities of deliberately letting food go off, you'll never look back!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member

Sometimes I culture my own yogurt and sauerkraut, but I'm not big on festering either.

(I'm really hoping that festering is an awesome autocorrect fail.)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member

I love rotting vegetables in jars on my counter! (I do pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut, and escabeche).
    My math may have been different, but when I priced making yogurt vs. buying it didn't come out as a big savings, so I stick with non-dairy uses for my lactobacilli...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    cmtigger wrote: »

Sometimes I culture my own yogurt and sauerkraut, but I'm not big on festering either.

(I'm really hoping that festering is an awesome autocorrect fail.)

Nope. I refer to creating interesting foods through their controlled infestation with tiny creatures, eg yeast, bacteria. You might prefer "culturing" or "fermenting" but I like "festering" because it's funny (and a true description).

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

I love rotting vegetables in jars on my counter! (I do pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut, and escabeche).
    My math may have been different, but when I priced making yogurt vs. buying it didn't come out as a big savings, so I stick with non-dairy uses for my lactobacilli...

How do you calculate the price of home made yogurt?

milk + price of 1 yogurt (to get the whole thing started) + electricity + amortization investment = price?

I'm thinking of acquiring the necessary hardware to try considering that together with my mom, we go through about 10-15 of those things per week...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

How do you calculate the price of home made yogurt?

milk + price of 1 yogurt (to get the whole thing started) + electricity + amortization investment = price?

I'm thinking of acquiring the necessary hardware to try considering that together with my mom, we go through about 10-15 of those things per week...

What's an amortisation investment??

I use a slow cooker for yoghurt, with a dimmer plug that my electrician dad made me, and an instant read thermometer I had anyway. So no equipment costs, really. The slow cooker uses 30-40 watts when making yoghurt so that's not much power. I just reckon the cost of the milk and the starter (a tablespoon of plain yoghurt).

You don't need any special equipment, you can just make it in a pan wrapped with towels, like most people do in areas where yoghurt making is common (Eastern Europe, North Africa, Middle East).