Apple Cider Vinegar Water - Beneficial or a fad?

Options
2»

Replies

• afrsilver
    afrsilver Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    the best thing to do is do your own research and form you own opinion
  • afrsilver
    afrsilver Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    cloberella wrote: »
    My GI recommended it to help combat Acid Reflux and it has worked pretty well, in conjunction with trying to avoid trigger foods.

Same for me it also helps get rid of my bloating
  • katesundwall
    katesundwall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I LOVE apple cider vinegar and drink 2T before every meal and at bedtime. Yes, tastes disgusting but it has so many digestion benefits that I can overlook the 20 seconds of nastiness! Highly recommend -- my dietician has been having me do it for a year now and I have seen positive results.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I LOVE apple cider vinegar and drink 2T before every meal and at bedtime. Yes, tastes disgusting but it has so many digestion benefits that I can overlook the 20 seconds of nastiness! Highly recommend -- my dietician has been having me do it for a year now and I have seen positive results.

What are the digestion benefits and what positive results have you seen that are caused by (not correlated with) drinking ACV? So you drink up to 8tbsp/day if you are drinking before every meal and at bedtime? And your dietician recommended this? A Registered Dietician?

• hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's a fad. It's not the best thing for your teeth and I'm pretty sure that it would taste awful.

Remember when you could go hours without seeing an add for some magic weight loss solution?

Pepperidge farms remembers.....

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    According to the add I keep seeing on MFP your friends won't even recognize you after two weeks!

I think it's mostly because one would be obscured by the cloud of derp floating around them. :D
  • lundy2626
    lundy2626 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to help get rid of liver fat! Anything acidic in moderation is going to help with fat loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lundy2626 wrote: »
    It's supposed to help get rid of liver fat! Anything acidic in moderation is going to help with fat loss.
    How?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

I'm not sure that's true. I actually have a fatty liver (due to chronic illness and certain meds) No doctor has ever suggested I take acv. I'd be interested to see any research which supports this?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options

We must have different definitions of loving something - a food item which i thought tasted disgusting would not also be something I loved.

Anyway - what positive results exactly have you been seeing and how are you sure they are attributed to the acv and not other changes you made - or did you make no other changes??

• BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

The only peer-reviewed papers on Pubmed I could find (that relate to ACV and the liver) are these two:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24894721

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21561165

So if you're a rat or a mouse with no ovaries, being force fed cholesterol, it might just work*.

*Where "work" means lower blood lipids a little bit.
  • Tannabug2008
    Tannabug2008 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is not a miracle drink. It does however stabilize insulin and blood glucose levels. This, combined with healthy eating and exercise, helps to lose weight easier. People have had great success when combining ACV and Garcinia Cambogia pills. I do this myself, twice daily.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It is not a miracle drink. It does however stabilize insulin and blood glucose levels. This, combined with healthy eating and exercise, helps to lose weight easier. People have had great success when combining ACV and Garcinia Cambogia pills. I do this myself, twice daily.

Garcinia Cambogia isn't doing much of anything.