Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

not losing weight when you don't eat enough

Options
2»

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    My aunt is famous for this. She's probably 80lbs overweight and insists dieting in her early 20's (she's now 55) ruined her metabolism and she can't lose weight. Then I watch her eat about 10 servings of crackers with Helluva good dip as a SNACK and washes it down with prosecco. Never less than a whole bottle lol. That metabolic damage will get you every time!
  • devrinator
    devrinator Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wonder if when we become obese we are in a form of starvation mode, though. I know that when I just eat whatever I want, I eat a lot of whatever I eat, whether it's healthy or not. More often than not, I end up eating non-nutritious foods in abundance. So, I wonder if when I restrict my calories but eat healthier foods how that compares to when I don't worry about my foods and end up eating gobs of pasta and low-nutrient foods.

Also, I find it very difficult to naturally control calories. When I watch what I eat, I tend to go for quantity--low-calorie quantity. I'll eat a lot of veg with measured olive oil, etc, and sometimes find I'm just at 1000 calories for the day. Trying to up the calories feels unnatural at that point. I'm then surprised at how few calories I've eaten when I've added high calorie foods such as almonds and avocado. I think once I hit obesity (or just before), my eat-o-meter broke. I couldn't tell I was full, and that's why I kept gaining weight. I probably needed more nutrients, gained weight, needed more nutrients and the cycle continued. Decreasing calories while attempting to get a more complete nutritional diet curbs my appetite, but maybe I'm getting more nutrients this way than by eating a surplus of junk?

I find "starvation mode" thing to be at odds with the common American diet which can oftentimes be high in calorie but low in nutritional quality. If one cuts out all the worthless junk food from his diet, he may only be eating 400 to 800 calories of valuable foods. --or even less than that. So what happens hen he goes on an 800-1000 calorie diet full of nutrient dense foods? Does that make a difference?