Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ahhhh its just so embarrassing though :( lol i feel ill get laughed at

Obesity and Yeast Infections - What's the Connection

http://ezinearticles.com/?Obesity-and-Yeast-Infections---Whats-the-Connection&id=421262

The article might be helpful in explaining reasons why it happens. It can be the folds of our skin anywhere on our body because of extra weight or for some it can be excess sugar as that feeds yeast. Diabetics often deal with this..which sucks!

Great that you asked the question here so you don't have to wonder anymore, no reason to be embarrassed. :smiley:
  • ristinadurivage
    ristinadurivage Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    All of the above are awesome ideas. I would suggest either a candida diet or a low carb, no sugar diet. Yeast feeds on sugar. A great probiotic is highly recommended. Plenty available in stores. I suggest one from a vitamin shop if you have one near you.
    If you can get air by laying down to the area and sunshine, that should help as well. I know... No one wants to sun their stomach, but sunlight kills a lot of bad things.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I get a rash under my flapdoodle™, I use an antiseptic wash (found in the first aid aisle) in the shower and then apply desitin cream, for about a week or so. That usually clears it up. Might work on yours as well, depending on what it is.

Due to the "TM" after "flapdoodle", I had to look this up. Some hilarious definitions of flapdoodle found here:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flapdoodle&amp=true

Didn't even have to scroll and I almost did a spit take.

For the record, this is what I was referencing ...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10522307/belly-fat-cure-diet/p1
    t2t623uvr6rf.jpg
    :laugh: That trademark got put through quickly! ;) Thanks for sharing that link... good for a giggle!

@Look_Its_Kriss Hope you don't mind us borrowing this for a similar thread! :D
  • ashmullo788
    ashmullo788 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the nice comments im going to take up all the advice im glad ive got that out in the open its just been on my mind and im on a healthy lifestyle choice starting today and im not going to stop either im determined
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    What the others have said and make sure to keep it dry after showering too.
  • loulouowens
    loulouowens Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to get this all the time, really really bad. I resolved it by washing my belly button really well wth warm water, then when I get out of shower/bath I dry it with hair dryer, like open my belly button up with my fingers and make sure it's really dry before dressing - problem sorted! I don't get it as much now I've lost weight but it was common for me before. In fact I still hairdryer myself dry lol
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I used to babysit my nephew as a baby, who had lots of baby fat rolls (he looked like a little human shar-pei lol). The odor/rash was an issue in his folds as well. My sister just did what she could to keep them clean/dry and as he got older and lost the rolls, the problem sorted itself out. Hopefully OP as you move further along with things your issue will also resolve itself :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Since we're all being TMI and it's Tuesday I'm having a complete proctocolectomy soon and getting a permanent ileostomy. Yes I'm over sharing lol

My friend with Crohn's had that done. Life changer.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i used to get this from time to time where my piercing was in my belly button after i took the ring out. full disclosure: i pierced it myself with a safety pin in high school and then had it re-pierced to fix the crookedness with a pretty big gauge so the hole never really went away. i would definitely advise you to be gentle when cleaning in or around your belly button, it's a pretty sensitive area. clean it with antibacterial soap and a q-tip and make sure that you fully dry it. i wouldn't recommend powders because if you sweat that just going to make more of a mess in there. if there's some irritation or skin dryness from the soap a tiny bit of antibiotic ointment can help as well. clean and dry are the keys though.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Very likely a yeast infection, I get them all the time thanks to all my excess skin and innie belly button, clean with cool boiled water, make sure it's dry (use a cotton bud) then apply an anti-fungal cream, the same as you'd use for thrush on your girl bits. I generally see an improvement the next day and it's back to smelling fresh within the week.

eta : oh and avoid soap and anti-bacterial products you want your own good bacteria to get to work on the fungal infection as much as possible
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ok took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about. That is a yeast problem. Maybe due to candida. I had same issue and still do...and i dont have a covered navel. Try putting some organic coconut oil in it. Coconut oil is good for candida and kills body yeast. Needs to be organic cold pressed though etc.
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Id like to add when someone is yeasty or has candida it can come out anywhere...pits breasts groin rear...and especially if you have made dietary changes candida gets angry raargh! Dont be embarrassed.
  • cakemouth1
    cakemouth1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a roomie with a totally flat stomach with a similar problem- it was fungal. Pretty nasty, so I know how embarrassing it could be. It can be tough when you have folds, not letting your skin breathe. Hope you feel better soon! <3
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think you've got some good advice here, OP. I would also agree with washing well and they drying - so important, as the bacteria can live in any water left over.

Here's an overshare for you... I have a very deep bellybutton, even when my stomach isn't "fluffy". Like, a full knuckle deep in there. Not that I do that. It hurts. Dont' stick things in my belly button. Back to the story! I had a boyfriend who pulled out during intimate times and... Uh... deposited his "contributions" on my stomach. Totally fine! Except that I didn't notice that it got in my belly button. It took WEEKS to clear up the infection, and it was so gross. I couldn't figure it out for days, then it dawned on me what it was... and that grossed me out even more. Ha ha.

So there you go. More embarrassing stories for you!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you didn't let your embarrassment hold you bac, that way we could all tell you....this is definitely not embarrassing!!

I agree with all the advice given. My stomach is flat but my belly button is deep, it gets so gross and dirty that it builds up if I don't make sure to wash it with soap and my finger nail in the shower every day.

In my opinion I would see another doctor, not because I think anything serious is wrong but because if this one didn't give you any advice, options, or an explanation for this they aren't doing a good enough job! It may be that they just have never seen this or don't care but you deserve to have someone that is attentive to your health needs.

I have had friends that have had similar issues to this and they use the "monkey butt" powder that's made for chafing issues :) good luck!
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I used to get this all the time, really really bad. I resolved it by washing my belly button really well wth warm water, then when I get out of shower/bath I dry it with hair dryer, like open my belly button up with my fingers and make sure it's really dry before dressing - problem sorted! I don't get it as much now I've lost weight but it was common for me before. In fact I still hairdryer myself dry lol

I had a bellybutton fungal rash at one point and this was the same advice that my dermatologist gave. Make sure to wash and rinse thoroughly in the bath/shower, then dry really well with towel, then dry with Q-tip then hair dryer (on cool setting). As long as it doesn't irritate you, you can even clean with alcohol swab between washings.

Good luck!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    BTW don't use cotton swabs... the fibers can get caught in the navel and cause problems. I'd suggest the blow dryer instead.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I had an itchy button and my doctor gave me an anti-fungal cream that did the trick. I would suggest going to a dermatologist. I used to mix vinegar and alcohol to wash my dog's ears when they got stinky.....
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My mother had something similar. Because I always keep essential oils and coconut oil on hand, I made a mix of coconut oil and tea tree oil. Coconut oil is antimicrobial and tea tree oil is anti-fungal. Just wash and dry area and then dab the coconut/tea tree oil mixture using a q-tip ... my mom did it twice a day and eventually the itch and smell went away on its own. She had lost weight and just had saggy skin in the belly button area.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessarily fungal, it could just be bacteria getting a bit too comfortable, but regardless, it's a warning that it's harbouring moisture and that means there's a risk of fungal infection. My belly button has always done this a little bit (probably because I've always had rolls, I think you're right about that) so it's just routine for me to stick my soapy finger right in there when showering and give it a good scrub, rinse it out well and then poke a corner of a towel in when drying to make sure no moisture is left. Like you would dry out a jar when doing the dishes. Just make sure everything is clean and dry, and if any redness, itching or soreness starts up, treat it right away.

I find talcum powder works quite well, personally, I've never had an issue with it.