I suck at running

Options

Replies

• NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    this is me...I look like stewart from mad tv look what i can do when i run. No I am not kidding. It is amazing I learned to belly dance. lol There are a lot of factors...Each person has a unique and very very different physiology and DNA structure. You might just not have the "perfect running body". Run for you not other people. To your "poor running skills" according to you...is someone who cant jump...or even have good grip to lift weights. Did someone tell you you run weird? If they did shame on them! and Screw them. Run if you love it and love to do it. I used to try before Lyme because I thought it was just what fitness people do lol. Jog. Its bad for your joints in the long haul...so use caution.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    So, have you only been running for a few weeks?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, about a decade ago, it was a real struggle. I could barely make it around the block without feeling that death would be a blessed release......

Best advice I ever got was to slow down and the slow down some more. I started with a run 1min, walk 9 minutes & gradually worked my way up to being able to run 10 minutes with stopping and built up from there.

You're building your aerobic base and developing mental stamina. Our brain will actively lie to us about being tired long before your body really is.

Be patient & give yourself time, Rome wasn't built in a day......

While I believe that almost anyone can become a runner it's not for everyone. Some people just don't enjoy it and that's ok, there are other ways to stay fit so if you've given it an honest effort and are still struggling try other activities (and don't feel bad about it....)
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    So, have you only been running for a few weeks?

No, off and on for a few years. Injuries, lack of motivation, etc., kind of lead me to start over from time to time
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at jogging / running in "the real world", but I do great on an elliptical machine. Being able to see the calories burned / miles run estimate really motivates me. Also I can play cell phone games while on the machine without worrying about running into traffic.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I was forced to run for 20 years in the military, hated it, so in order to force myself to run I found a running partner who made it fun and we would push each other. Here in Virginia we have a store called Point2Point running and they have running clinics and group runs every saturday where they pair you with people in your category. Of you can find a place like that in your area it may help
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is easier on you and proper shoes is very, very important.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Couldn't get past week 3 of C25K. I ended up just working on it myself, running 1/10th mile at a time, then 1/4, then 1/3, then 1/2. I kept trying and eventually made it to a mile and from there it got much easier. But later when I learned more about running, I looked back at my old entries in the app I was using, and realized I was running (more like sprinting) at an 8:00 min pace. Waaaaay too fast and I had no idea. I thought that was what running was :-p So definitely slow down and if you really want to use C25K just repeat weeks until that week feels easy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Shoes - a few years ago I did go to a running store to get setup. I think I'm ok there, and am on my second pair of the same ones.

What age are they? They could easily be lived out, particularly if you've used them for other things.
    Speed - I'm damn slow. When I'm on a treadmill it's obviously a little easier to know what I'm doing. I did most of it today at 5.0, with about 1/4 of the time at 5.2.

Is that 5mph, 5 kph, an arbitrary 5 on an undefined scale, or a 5 minute mile?

I'd assume that 5.2 is faster, so slow down until you can run for longer.

The key with speed is to run at the speed that you can maintain for your target time or distance. It's very easy to run too quickly.
    I changed up the intervals and made my own. They are in 5 minute blocks. Today I did 3:30/1:30 6 times. I kind of liked the 5 minute block thing. That went better than my past several attempts. Maybe next time I'll do 3:45/1:15, and so on until I'm ready for a 10 minute block.

It's not out of the question that it's partly psychological. Lots of people struggle with the big jumps in C25K, of which there are two. Running is as much a mental game as a physical one.
  • gexking
    gexking Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The speed thing...it's too easy to get stuck on that...but really, it doesn't matter. You are only racing against that voice in your head that says "You are slow...and this is hard...people are laughing at you" Kick that voice's *kitten*.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    MPH, 5.0 and 5.2 MPH
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 870 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Way to go fellow runner! You are already faster that all the people who don't run.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Probably mostly in my own damn head, but I do suck at it. Slow, struggle to add on any time or distance. I'm good at the first few weeks of C25K, then I just go in the tank. Can't breathe, legs don't cooperate, blah blah blah.

Anyone else ever experienced something similar? How did you get through it? Any tips from you pros out there? Thanks

Yeah. I've done C25K three times and always experience something similar. Instead of quitting or getting down on myself I repeat that week as many times as I need to and at some point I hit day 3 and go, huh, that was easy and move to the next week. I've since moved on to a 10K program and am still only running a 15 min/mile. Speed comes later, much later.

Important fact: It doesn't matter how fast you are running during C25K. It is an endurance based program. The point is to get yourself running, you know two feet off the ground at the same time, for a set amount of time or distance. Speed has no place in C25K. If you are running a treadmill where the speed is constantly staring you in the face maybe try going outdoors without monitoring your pace and only run as fast as you can hold a conversation. I find a heart rate monitor helpful. When I think I'm going too slow or breathing to heavy I can check my heart rate and know my exertion level.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    MPH, 5.0 and 5.2 MPH

In that case, slow down a bit.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting a good shoe fitting. Be sure you go to a small running store, not a big box. They are going to give you the best fit. Also, when I look at the c25k plans, I always feel like they aren't really meant for untrained runners--even the "beginner" plans. They appeare to me to assume that you can run much sooner than you actually can. That is, walking at a very rapid clip might be a better choice or,if you are listening to music when you work out, try trotting along for the three songs and walking for one or trotting along for three minutes and walking for one. Also be sure that the program you use isn't just running. The programs that are on the cool runnings website are very good. They mixup the workouts. Running well isn't just about running. Slow down, take your time. You can do this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Agree with getting a good shoe fitting. Be sure you go to a small running store, not a big box. They are going to give you the best fit. Also, when I look at the c25k plans, I always feel like they aren't really meant for untrained runners--even the "beginner" plans. They appeare to me to assume that you can run much sooner than you actually can. That is, walking at a very rapid clip might be a better choice or,if you are listening to music when you work out, try trotting along for the three songs and walking for one or trotting along for three minutes and walking for one. Also be sure that the program you use isn't just running. The programs that are on the cool runnings website are very good. They mixup the workouts. Running well isn't just about running. Slow down, take your time. You can do this!

you think c25k is not 'beginner' enough but then you suggest running for at least 9 minutes with 3 minute walk intervals? :huh:
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    The programs that are on the cool runnings website are very good.

Cool Running is where C25K originated, at least online.

What they've got is C25K with recommended cross training, which is no bad thing.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I would argue that training outside and concentrating on improving your form and leg/foot strength is more important.

shoes relate to the surface you are on, and whilst gait IS important, improving your running form will prevent injuries far more than a pair of shoes will.

I hate the treadmill. It's a constant pace which doesn't relate to the real world. There's no air to cool my system (in the form of wind), the action of using a treadmill is different as you are responding to something that is moving, psychologically they can be a killer, and people get a big shock the first time they go outside from using a TM. Yes, it's a useful tool, but it's not a substitute for being outside.

trails are better. for all kinds of reasons.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I would argue that training outside and concentrating on improving your form and leg/foot strength is more important.

shoes relate to the surface you are on, and whilst gait IS important, improving your running form will prevent injuries far more than a pair of shoes will.

I hate the treadmill. It's a constant pace which doesn't relate to the real world. There's no air to cool my system (in the form of wind), the action of using a treadmill is different as you are responding to something that is moving, psychologically they can be a killer, and people get a big shock the first time they go outside from using a TM. Yes, it's a useful tool, but it's not a substitute for being outside.

trails are better. for all kinds of reasons.

i only ever run on a treadmill for gait analysis... i remember the guy in the shop saying 'is that how you normally run?' and i'm just like, 'nope, i'm running like i've *kitten* myself, this is not how i normally run....' :laugh:
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So what if you're slow! I'm slow! I don't accurately time myself, I just go out and run. There are enough pressures at work and elsewhere and I run to free myself from them for a while, get some fresh air and sunshine and not compete with anyone else or myself either. To say that you 'suck' is a measure of competition and judgement. Just go out and run - either for a little bit or a longer bit - just get out there :smile: