600 calories left but no carbs

Options
124»

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Would you guys say when wieght loss comes to a slow it's the person fault or it's just life I understand metabolic rate slows down but can the person counteract this
    If it's for a prolonged period, it's time to reevaluate why the loss has stopped, unless medically related it's because the person is no longer eating at a deficit. If loss stops for a few weeks, it may just be the non-linear weight loss.
    In my case the slowing of weight loss came with the simple fact that i was getting closer to my goal weight.

The deficit was smaller.
    But this isn't a bad thing, its healthier to lose at a slower rate the smaller you are, and keeping my calorie goal at a manageable amount made going to maintenance easier as well... if i had tried to live on 1200 calories for 2 years and then had to jump to 2000 that would be very hard to adjust to mentally.

Yeah you've got a good point there but small reductions in calorie intake over months wouldn't effect a person as bad or would it?
    You should begin at and stay with a small reduction - your calorie deficit. As you lose more weight, you're going to have less calories because your body no longer needs as many calories to maintain weight, so you will see it go down. You should not have to adjust your calories at all unless you go months without a loss, and you're sure that you are calculating your calories correctly. Usually MFP will recalculate, every 10pds I believe it is, the amount of calories you should be at.
  • Hardcastle99
    Hardcastle99 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Would you guys say when wieght loss comes to a slow it's the person fault or it's just life I understand metabolic rate slows down but can the person counteract this

If weight loss totally stops, it's because the person isn't in a calorie deficit anymore. In that sense, it's the person's "fault." Not in the sense that they should be blamed or that they knowingly did something wrong, but it's a problem that they can address by figuring out why they are no longer in a deficit.

Yeah I understand that but what if your still losing weight but slower than usual is this down to them person?

Your weight loss will slow down as you get lighter, because lighter bodies use fewer calories to keep them running. The usual advice is just to accept a slower rate of loss, because if you have less body fat, there is less available to burn off, so if you try and lose too fast you risk losing muscle instead of fat. Also if you try and keep up a fast rate of loss at lighter weights, you end up having to restrict your food to the point that it isn't sustainable.

Don't compare your calorie goal to others. It's very dependent on height and activity level. It's also dependent on whether the person is specifically logging exercise, or if they are using a TDEE estimate that already includes it. In the first case, a glance at their diary may make it look like they have a very low calorie goal, but that's because the exercise isn't counted yet.

For example, I'm a 5'4" woman and my goal is 1350 excluding exercise, but my total average over the last few weeks (what I've actually eaten) has been between 1700 and 2100 once the exercise is factored in. So if I were using TDEE my goal would be something like 1850. It all comes to the same thing in the end.

Thank you that's helps a lot! I go to college 5 days a week and work 15 hours at a supermarket so I'm constantly walking around and I'm at the gym 4/5 a week would you class that as active? When it asks what you are
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Usually MFP will recalculate, every 10pds I believe it is, the amount of calories you should be at.

It does this for me, but from what others have said it's not 100% reliable at it, so it's a good idea to check every now and then by changing your goal to "maintain my weight" and back again. That will force it to recalculate.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

If weight loss totally stops, it's because the person isn't in a calorie deficit anymore. In that sense, it's the person's "fault." Not in the sense that they should be blamed or that they knowingly did something wrong, but it's a problem that they can address by figuring out why they are no longer in a deficit.

Yeah I understand that but what if your still losing weight but slower than usual is this down to them person?

Your weight loss will slow down as you get lighter, because lighter bodies use fewer calories to keep them running. The usual advice is just to accept a slower rate of loss, because if you have less body fat, there is less available to burn off, so if you try and lose too fast you risk losing muscle instead of fat. Also if you try and keep up a fast rate of loss at lighter weights, you end up having to restrict your food to the point that it isn't sustainable.

Don't compare your calorie goal to others. It's very dependent on height and activity level. It's also dependent on whether the person is specifically logging exercise, or if they are using a TDEE estimate that already includes it. In the first case, a glance at their diary may make it look like they have a very low calorie goal, but that's because the exercise isn't counted yet.

For example, I'm a 5'4" woman and my goal is 1350 excluding exercise, but my total average over the last few weeks (what I've actually eaten) has been between 1700 and 2100 once the exercise is factored in. So if I were using TDEE my goal would be something like 1850. It all comes to the same thing in the end.

Thank you that's helps a lot! I go to college 5 days a week and work 15 hours at a supermarket so I'm constantly walking around and I'm at the gym 4/5 a week would you class that as active? When it asks what you are

MFP activity is what you do excluding exercise. That is supposed to be logged separately. Do you know roughly how many steps you do in a day?
  • Hardcastle99
    Options
    If it's for a prolonged period, it's time to reevaluate why the loss has stopped, unless medically related it's because the person is no longer eating at a deficit. If loss stops for a few weeks, it may just be the non-linear weight loss.
    In my case the slowing of weight loss came with the simple fact that i was getting closer to my goal weight.

The deficit was smaller.
    But this isn't a bad thing, its healthier to lose at a slower rate the smaller you are, and keeping my calorie goal at a manageable amount made going to maintenance easier as well... if i had tried to live on 1200 calories for 2 years and then had to jump to 2000 that would be very hard to adjust to mentally.

Yeah you've got a good point there but small reductions in calorie intake over months wouldn't effect a person as bad or would it?
    You should begin at and stay with a small reduction - your calorie deficit. As you lose more weight, you're going to have less calories because your body no longer needs as many calories to maintain weight, so you will see it go down. You should not have to adjust your calories at all unless you go months without a loss, and you're sure that you are calculating your calories correctly. Usually MFP will recalculate, every 10pds I believe it is, the amount of calories you should be at.

Thankyou for your response it helped me understand I think I've finally got the grasp of it!
  • Hardcastle99
    Options

MFP activity is what you do excluding exercise. That is supposed to be logged separately. Do you know roughly how many steps you do in a day?

Around 7000 on a college day and then 15000+ easily on a work day
  • Hardcastle99
    Options
    Usually MFP will recalculate, every 10pds I believe it is, the amount of calories you should be at.

It does this for me, but from what others have said it's not 100% reliable at it, so it's a good idea to check every now and then by changing your goal to "maintain my weight" and back again. That will force it to recalculate.

I've defiantly noticed it going down maybe by 30 so far?
  • jpcampbell74
    jpcampbell74 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of calories to use at end of the day and I usually go through the day quite peckish wouldn't say hungry but yeah. I feel guilty going over my carb limit which is set at 25% as I've ready everywhere lower carbs help wieght loss anyone else with me?

I am doing a very low carb.-- 20 grams or less per day

I have cut totally:
    * Sugar of any kind (including fructose (fruit)
    * Bread of any kind
    * Pasta
    *White potatoes (I occasionally will have 1/2 cup of Sweet Potato)
    *Rice of any kind
    * All starchy veggies like corn ect

Our body usually burns sugar for fuel. All of the foods below convert to sugar. So if when we eat them they are converted to sugar and our body uses that as fuel first--before it burns fat. So when you eat mostly protein and fat the body doesn't have sugar to burn so it converts stored fat as fuel. As a result you burn fat and feel less hungry. I actually struggle with getting in 2000 calories a day now.

I've only been on MFP for a week or so. But I have lost 27 lbs since Dec 1st eating this way. All of my blood work has improved as a result also.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of calories to use at end of the day and I usually go through the day quite peckish wouldn't say hungry but yeah. I feel guilty going over my carb limit which is set at 25% as I've ready everywhere lower carbs help wieght loss anyone else with me?

I have cut totally:
    * Bread of any kind
    * Pasta
    *Rice of any kind

Our body usually burns sugar for fuel. All of the foods below convert to sugar. So if when we eat them they are converted to sugar and our body uses that as fuel first--before it burns fat. So when you eat mostly protein and fat the body doesn't have sugar to burn so it converts stored fat as fuel. As a result you burn fat and feel less hungry. I actually struggle with getting in 2000 calories a day now.

I've only been on MFP for a week or so. But I have lost 27 lbs since Dec 1st eating this way. All of my blood work has improved as a result also.

I'm glad you found a plan that worked for you, but there are many people here who have had sustained success while including foods like fruit, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn, and foods with added sugar in their diets. You can burn fat while eating carbohydrates -- I, and dozens of other posters here, are living proof of that.
  • Hardcastle99
    Options

I have cut totally:
    * Bread of any kind
    * Pasta
    *Rice of any kind

I'm glad you found a plan that worked for you, but there are many people here who have had sustained success while including foods like fruit, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn, and foods with added sugar in their diets. You can burn fat while eating carbohydrates -- I, and dozens of other posters here, are living proof of that.

It's called ketogenic dieting
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I have cut totally:
    * Bread of any kind
    * Pasta
    *Rice of any kind

It works because you're eating in a deficit, keto isn't magic.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I have cut totally:
    * Bread of any kind
    * Pasta
    *Rice of any kind

Being in a calorie deficit burns excess stored fat. Keto doesn't increase that. Keto does use fat for energy in absence of carbs but if one eats too many/enough to maintain calories they will replenish that fat and/or increase it.

Keto is helpful for some people but it isn't magic.

Edited to add, OP clearly LIKES carbs because they're eating a lot of them proportionately, which likely means complying to the keto way of eating would likely be very difficult and unsustainable for them.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I have cut totally:
    * Bread of any kind
    * Pasta
    *Rice of any kind

We are familiar - many of us have been active participants on these boards for years and have seen every manner of question from newcomers, different types of diets with different degrees of success. What that poster describes is a ketogenic diet and many follow it and many have success with it. What makes it successful is that it creates a sustainable calorie deficit for those who follow it, which is the same as any other diet. Some people find eating LCHF enjoyable and as such, can adhere to a diet like this for the long term. Others find no improved satiety in this way of eating, and with no medical reason to restrict carbohydrates, there is no specific weight loss benefit that comes from eating this way which didn't originate from the calorie deficit itself.