Starvation Mode

Options
2»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    candessb wrote: »
    While my motivation to move was definitely lowered, the reduction in overall calories burned (according to my fitbit HR) was only about 100 calories less per day.
    I cannot explain the fact that I didn't lose anything! We don't have to call it starvation mode, but I am thouroughly convinced that my metabolism slowed down significantly enough to hault weight loss for what I was doing (which numerically speaking should have dropped pounds).

Good luck on finding scientific evidence to support what you are convinced of. It isn't there. It is more likely that you are eating more than you think or you are retaining fluid for some reason.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    candessb wrote: »
    While my motivation to move was definitely lowered, the reduction in overall calories burned (according to my fitbit HR) was only about 100 calories less per day.
    I cannot explain the fact that I didn't lose anything! We don't have to call it starvation mode, but I am thouroughly convinced that my metabolism slowed down significantly enough to hault weight loss for what I was doing (which numerically speaking should have dropped pounds).

There is something called metabolic adaptation, but it takes a long period of dieting for that to happen.

Weight loss is not linear. There will always be weeks, especially as a female, where you see the same or higher weight than before. It's going to take some time to lose six pounds, so you shouldn't be aiming for more than half a pound a week. Log everything as accurately as possible and be patient.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Everyone that comes out of a diet is going to gain most of the water weight back that they had a big drop in the first week or two of starting a diet.

No one starts a diet and loses 5 lbs of fat the first week - most is water weight.
    Starting eating about normal - back it comes.

But good news - it's a part of LBM, the body must manage it, and it increases your metabolism. A little bit.

What's usually more beneficial is the increased energy you get, moving more, having better workouts, see better results.

Not necessarily.

There is one specific protocol that can has been shown to peel roughly 6 pounds of fat in a four day period. However, due to how extreme it is, you end up having to take a two week diet break after those few days, just to keep your hormones from crashing. It also requires an amount of exercise that most just don't have time for (walking 20 miles).

I only even bother bringing it up, because you used rather strong language with "no one starts a diet and loses 5 lbs. of fat in the first week." It can be done, it's just not a good idea for most (read 99.99999% of people).

Going by the availability of 31 calories per pound of body fat per day ( http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Rapid_Fat_Loss_What_is_the_Maximum_Rate_of_Fat_loss.cfm) to lose 6lb of fat in 4 days you would need to be carrying about 170lb of body fat. Otherwise you would not be able to sustain that deficit through fat alone and the loss would be partly muscle.

So yes, it's possible, but only if you are morbidly obese. Even to lose 5lb of fat in a week would require 80lb of body fat.

For OP, who is in the normal weight range, it is not possible.

If you look up the study that is based on - it's not really a research study.

It's a theoretical examination of already existing 1 study data that was not even focused on that result finding.

No research was done to arrive at that conclusion, none was done to prove it out. Merely seeing if something fit and making a hypothesis and formula out of it.

I was speaking about the average reader and OP and effects that are seen and excitedly thrown around ("lost 5 lbs first week!"), or depressed mentioned ("started eating at maintenance and gained 4 lbs").
  • bustlegirl
    bustlegirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think it just takes time for the water weight to adjust (on maintenance). Just keep eating healthy as you should. ABTW, I get why you would want to lose a few more pounds. Its probably not so much about the way you look, as the way you feel.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    bustlegirl wrote: »
    I think it just takes time for the water weight to adjust (on maintenance). Just keep eating healthy as you should. ABTW, I get why you would want to lose a few more pounds. Its probably not so much about the way you look, as the way you feel.

This thread was posted in 2017.

I'm thinking she's likely resolved it by now.

Hope so, anyway. :lol: