Where are my Fashionistas?

Options
2»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The term fashionista makes me bristle for some reason but I am a seamstress, costume enthusiastic, fashion history geek, collector of vintage (everything, homeware, jewellery, clothes, all preferably pre 1962ish), collector of modern "designer" plastic jewellery and someone who often has their appearance commented on by strangers.

Also into make-up and beauty. Change my hair like my shoes, self taught hair colourist (of my own hair) to the point my hairdresser and her colleagues have asked how I have achieved a particular look.

I have almost continuously bought and sold clothing as I've shrunk and I have some things especially for when I am pretty much at goal.

So yeah, I enjoy the pretty things.

The term fashionista kinda of does the same thing to me since I work as a designer. I actually shop less because I work in the industry and know the true cost of things, have higher standards, and more expensive taste. I'm a fit engineer so I'm neurotic about things fitting perfectly.

With that said, I gained a size last year, bought new clothes, then lost a size. My old clothes are now my new clothes :) I think there is a massive closet purge in my near future...

Ha, same. Hence my sewing and buying of vintage. Plus modern high street isn't made anywhere near for my body shape on the whole, the bust/hip/waist ratios are generally made smaller now. If I'm buying new I prefer to pay a premium for good quality. Most everything I buy retains much of its value so easy to sell on without too much pain.

That said, I have bought things on my way down the sizes just for the sake of economy but I always end up with a baggy waist when I shrink a little so nothing lasts long. But because I didn't spend a lot I don't mind.

Everything is cut really straight and boxy right now... except for cropped flares. Can I complain just for a moment about cropped flares??? Who decided that was a good idea?!?! THE WORST! Ugh, my high school yearbook wants its wardrobe back.

I've been doing oversized tops and skinny bottoms for several years now. It's probably why I didn't realize I'd gained a few pounds until I needed to buy new jeans. The fact that high waisted jeans are dominating the market is probably why I finally got on MFP. I'm sure 40's & 50's vintage will trend again in the near future and I'll be ready when it does. I love me some tailored shirt waist dresses :) I mean seriously, how many times can we regurgitate the 70's and 80's before it dies? Can it die please? My hips need room to breathe!

90s is apparently vintage now. That stuff wasn't good the first time round.

I shop vintage repro brands and well as true vintage. Suits my shape, usually better made. Though they do also tend to cater to modern bodies, understandably.

And I love a high waist but it suits me.
  • mbolters
    mbolters Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely a fashion enthusiast! Been designing and making clothing and jewelry since I was 5!!! Just wish I could get the opportunity to use those skills as a profession. Decided its time to work harder to look as good as the model forms I design my work on!
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm a makeup and clothing addict, so I can definitely understand ^_^ I've lost 32 pounds so far I've noticed changes in how clothes fit as well. I'm down to a size medium in sport bras, and tops as well. I'm also down pant sizes. I don't calorie count or weigh my food which may not work for everyone. Good luck on your journey!!
    Do you have a goal weight?
    Mine is 140 for now and I might consider going down to 135.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 lbs and already I'm going through my closet and I've bought a few new things. I have an Alaska cruise coming up in July and am busy putting together a collection! I have discovered the Multiples brand sold at Dillards! 25 lbs to go and I'll be in size 10-12, maybe some 8s. Clothes are keeping me motivated!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The term fashionista makes me bristle for some reason but I am a seamstress, costume enthusiastic, fashion history geek, collector of vintage (everything, homeware, jewellery, clothes, all preferably pre 1962ish), collector of modern "designer" plastic jewellery and someone who often has their appearance commented on by strangers.

Also into make-up and beauty. Change my hair like my shoes, self taught hair colourist (of my own hair) to the point my hairdresser and her colleagues have asked how I have achieved a particular look.

I have almost continuously bought and sold clothing as I've shrunk and I have some things especially for when I am pretty much at goal.

The term fashionista kinda of does the same thing to me since I work as a designer. I actually shop less because I work in the industry and know the true cost of things, have higher standards, and more expensive taste. I'm a fit engineer so I'm neurotic about things fitting perfectly.

With that said, I gained a size last year, bought new clothes, then lost a size. My old clothes are now my new clothes :) I think there is a massive closet purge in my near future...

Ha, same. Hence my sewing and buying of vintage. Plus modern high street isn't made anywhere near for my body shape on the whole, the bust/hip/waist ratios are generally made smaller now. If I'm buying new I prefer to pay a premium for good quality. Most everything I buy retains much of its value so easy to sell on without too much pain.

That said, I have bought things on my way down the sizes just for the sake of economy but I always end up with a baggy waist when I shrink a little so nothing lasts long. But because I didn't spend a lot I don't mind.

Everything is cut really straight and boxy right now... except for cropped flares. Can I complain just for a moment about cropped flares??? Who decided that was a good idea?!?! THE WORST! Ugh, my high school yearbook wants its wardrobe back.

I've been doing oversized tops and skinny bottoms for several years now. It's probably why I didn't realize I'd gained a few pounds until I needed to buy new jeans. The fact that high waisted jeans are dominating the market is probably why I finally got on MFP. I'm sure 40's & 50's vintage will trend again in the near future and I'll be ready when it does. I love me some tailored shirt waist dresses :) I mean seriously, how many times can we regurgitate the 70's and 80's before it dies? Can it die please? My hips need room to breathe!

I've been seeing the cropped flare trend in my magazines....and it kind of makes my heart hurt to look at!
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Do any of my fellow make-up addicts subscribe to those sample boxes, like birchbox? If so, which one (or ones depending on how far gone you are!) and do you have any comments?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Do any of my fellow make-up addicts subscribe to those sample boxes, like birchbox? If so, which one (or ones depending on how far gone you are!) and do you have any comments?

Depends where in the world you are. I can only comment on the UK ones I've had.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Quite the opposite. I'm trying to slim down so I can still wear the same clothes from 10 years ago!

Yesterday I wore a top from 2005!!
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I've been seeing the cropped flare trend in my magazines....and it kind of makes my heart hurt to look at!

They look ridiculous on everyone, including tall, skinny models. Every time someone flashes them at a trend meeting at work there's a groan that comes from my general direction. Please let this trend pass soon.

Then again, maybe there's a flood coming that I wasn't informed of...
  • painzzzz
    painzzzz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    fellow fashion enthusiast here!! Hi ladies!! I've got a sewing machine and an ebay addiction. I'm really loving how much better all of my clothes fit now!!!
  • tabletop_joe
    Options

I wasn't seeking a recommendation so much as curious about other people's experiences.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

I wasn't seeking a recommendation so much as curious about other people's experiences.

And that's fine but Birchbox in the UK will be a different experience to the one in the US.

I've tried loads and have mostly enjoyed them. I do get too many lip balms and hand cream though!
  • LessCookiess
    Options
    I love ipsy more I used to have birchbox but canceled after a few boxes. I also like maskmaven and I occasionally will get pop sugar must have boxes if they're on sale!
  • tabletop_joe
    Options
    ^^^maskmaven sounds really fun! I hadn't heard of it before.

My sister does ipsy and really likes it, though same complaints as up above about too many moisturizers and staple items. I'm waiting for my first Sephora play box and I'm really excited. I'm hoping for more adventurous samples. :*
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I definitely have changed my style since getting "fit"...I live in skirts now and find it's so much easier and FUN putting together outfits! I love making fashion boards, too..and try to find similar things to copy my looks on a budget.
  • lauralee328
    lauralee328 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

IKR? WTH? No one looks good in crop flares. NO ONE. They need to die (as they so thankfully did in the 70's and the 90's). And while we're on the subject, fellow fashionistas, when are designers going to bring back V-necklines and boot cut jeans? Those of with boobs and hips would be eternally grateful.
  • LessCookiess
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ^^^maskmaven sounds really fun! I hadn't heard of it before.

My sister does ipsy and really likes it, though same complaints as up above about too many moisturizers and staple items. I'm waiting for my first Sephora play box and I'm really excited. I'm hoping for more adventurous samples. :*

The sephora box is amazing! the products are often pretty nice. Target has a beauty box it's often $5-$7 the latest one that is currently sold out had the missha time revolution first treatment which is often said is a dupe to SK-II. Also if anyone is into fitness addidas has a box! It's called the avenue A box and it's pretty amazing. I just got the spring box ^_^
    Mask maven I've heard great things about it like the products are pretty nice.
  • LessCookiess
    Options
    Btw in super obsessed with Korean skincare ^_^ not sure if anyone else is either, but I follow a 10 step skincare routine which I reduce occasionally, and my skin has never been better!
  • VintageFeline
    Options

IKR? WTH? No one looks good in crop flares. NO ONE. They need to die (as they so thankfully did in the 70's and the 90's). And while we're on the subject, fellow fashionistas, when are designers going to bring back V-necklines and boot cut jeans? Those of with boobs and hips would be eternally grateful.

Can get both of those things in the UK. Though I guess it depends what you mean by v-neck. But yeah, H&M do basic t-shirts with a v-neck. And I've seen bootcut jeans in plenty of places, maybe not so much in shops aimed at the 18-25 demographic but in others, sure.