Why do people choose to do LCHF?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,107 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    oh. I so don't want to be in this discussion. What was I thinking?

EDIT!!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    What day of the week is it again?

Let's just get real here for a minute.

All anyone cares about is net fat storage.

Body comp is impacted more by protein consumption than fat or carbs, so quibbling over fat vs. carbs is silly.

When it comes down to fat storage, calories are the driver when it comes to NET fat storage since we are burning and storing fat all day. It doesn't matter, IF YOUR PROTEIN INTAKE IS OPTIMAL, what your fat intake or your carb intake is. If your calories are in check, you won't store excess body fat.

LCHF is a dieting preference, it's a simple as that. There is not a fat burning advantage to it. There are countless studies that show when protein is held constant, carbs and fats don't matter.
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I did this and it was the healthiest I've ever felt. No more post carb hangovers and I lost weight quickly and my tummy which was usually the last place to shrink shrank first!! Then I lost one of my incomes and couldn't sustain the cost of the diet. I would like to go back on it. Less sugar is always a good thing and since you're getting so little sugar it isn't being stored as fat and your fat melts off

That isnt how the body works. Dietary fats store as body fat much easier than carbs. Carbs general store as glycogen in the muscles and liver or are immediately oxidized.

This is incorrect. You're right that glucose converts to glycogen and is stored in the liver and muscles short term. However, the liver can only store about 100g of glucose in glycogen form. The muscles can also carry glycogen in the amount of about 500g. Any carbohydrates consumed beyond these capacities are converted to and stored as fat. There is no upward limit for calories stored as fat. Bio major.

You are talking about EXCESS calories. Psulemon is talking about calories within TDEE.

They quoted my commented about my success with LCHF and told me that's not how the body works. The didn't specify that they were talking about calories within TDEE. Also you can have sugar intake too high and still be under your TDEE caloric goal so what I said still stands.

So you're saying that even if I eat less calories than my body needs, if I eat too much sugar my body will convert it to fat regardless? Could you explain how that happens?

Can you please read MY original comment? I was sharing my experience how while I had previously maintained a low calorie diet, when I started LCHF my weight loss shifted from being all over to suddenly I was losing my tummy fast. My weight loss was the same rate but I lost belly fat faster than before. That's usually the hardest and last place I lose it from. While consuming under your calorie goal you will lose weight, certain foods can impact where that weight comes from. Sugar is a huge component to excess belly fat, hence why when I went very low carb (despite high fat) I lost belly weight. My initial comment was MY OWN experience and when someone tried to poke holes in it I responded. No need to get offended.

EDIT: I presume since my belly is where I tend to store excess fat that my all over loss vs. belly loss may have been that some of my weight loss previous to going LCHF could have been muscle loss with fat loss and that when I transitioned to LCHF my protein and fat intake were better so I was primarily losing fat at that point. All of this is honestly very individual. I also suspect a little bit of insulin resistance to be present for me.

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying here, but I'm a little confused. How do you know you were losing fat from your belly as opposed to decreased bloating that just looked like belly fat. I've always understood that you can't spot reduce, but isn't that what you're saying?

I guess I couldn't know with 100% certainty but I was already on a grain free FODMAP diet for my celiac and other gastro issues and had decreased and kept water weight off for some time. My sodium levels were borderline low and I stay very well hydrated so I don't think my body shouldn't have been retaining much. Also, the inches stayed off for a prolonged time. And the inches I lost had been settled in there for years.

Edit: For perspective we're talking 6-7 inches lost in my waist. If I'd been retaining THAT MUCH water weight in my abdomen it would have been obvious and scary.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    They probably do it because they think they have to suffer to lose weight.

Suffering by eating bacon. Yep, life sure is tough. Look, I fully get that not everybody enjoys fattier foods, but these sort of judgmental posts don’t help anyone.
  • russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I did this and it was the healthiest I've ever felt. No more post carb hangovers and I lost weight quickly and my tummy which was usually the last place to shrink shrank first!! Then I lost one of my incomes and couldn't sustain the cost of the diet. I would like to go back on it. Less sugar is always a good thing and since you're getting so little sugar it isn't being stored as fat and your fat melts off

That isnt how the body works. Dietary fats store as body fat much easier than carbs. Carbs general store as glycogen in the muscles and liver or are immediately oxidized.

This is incorrect. You're right that glucose converts to glycogen and is stored in the liver and muscles short term. However, the liver can only store about 100g of glucose in glycogen form. The muscles can also carry glycogen in the amount of about 500g. Any carbohydrates consumed beyond these capacities are converted to and stored as fat. There is no upward limit for calories stored as fat. Bio major.

Get off your phone and pay attention in class. Fats are directly converted to fat, carbs are RARELY if ever stored as fat in humans--Physiology 201
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I do LCHF. And for me personally it's helped a lot of my digestive issues. I don't have a gallbladder and was scared to do high fat. But after the first week my body is feeling so much better and I'm processing the foods I eat better. It also help me to control cravings. Sweets are a weakness for me and doing this diet has helped me a bunch. I'm not losing at a super fast rate, but a steady 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. For me it's been "the" answer, but I know it's not going to work for everyone.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

You are talking about EXCESS calories. Psulemon is talking about calories within TDEE.

They quoted my commented about my success with LCHF and told me that's not how the body works. The didn't specify that they were talking about calories within TDEE. Also you can have sugar intake too high and still be under your TDEE caloric goal so what I said still stands.

I dont question your success, i question the incorrect information regard sugars converting to fat. In reality, its an argument of semantics. Carbs rarely convert to fat, and dietary fat is generally what is stored as body fat based on de novo lipogenesis studies. What happens when you comsume large amounts of carbs is carbs oxidation will increase and gat oxidation will be suppressed.

If you equate for calories and protein, there is no difference in fat loss between keto diets and high carb/high sugar diets.

Now that doesn't mean that one or another diet isnt better for an individual, but it does *kitten* down some of the claims out there. You being successful is great. I am glad you found that strategy, but is doesnt retract from my comment. I lost and have kept off 50 lbs for 5 years on a high protein high carb diet. I do this because protein and carbs satiate me, while fats do not. This plan alos supports my lifting routine while keto hasnt been shown to be as beneficial for strength training.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    I don't know what a keto diet entails but I know if I don't eat enough carbs I get dizzy. I figured that out on MFP, every time I get dizzy, I realize I haven't eaten enough carbs for the day. So that's how I know.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My Mom does low carb because she's diabetic and the Dr told her too. I don't think she's high fat though, I doubt her stomach could handle alot of fat.
  • Jackibrazil
    Options

I dont question your success, i question the incorrect information regard sugars converting to fat. In reality, its an argument of semantics. Carbs rarely convert to fat, and dietary fat is generally what is stored as body fat based on de novo lipogenesis studies. What happens when you comsume large amounts of carbs is carbs oxidation will increase and gat oxidation will be suppressed.

If you equate for calories and protein, there is no difference in fat loss between keto diets and high carb/high sugar diets.

Now that doesn't mean that one or another diet isnt better for an individual, but it does *kitten* down some of the claims out there. You being successful is great. I am glad you found that strategy, but is doesnt retract from my comment. I lost and have kept off 50 lbs for 5 years on a high protein high carb diet. I do this because protein and carbs satiate me, while fats do not. This plan alos supports my lifting routine while keto hasnt been shown to be as beneficial for strength training.

I agree that carbs rarely convert to fat on a diet where calories consumed are less than calories burned for sure. But saying that they rarely convert to fat in general is bunk. I think the reason I lost more fat when I was keto had more to do with upping my protein intake and that I lost more fat whereas before I may have been losing muscle as well. Keto for me caused me to meet my protein requirements and I personally thrive more and lose more weight on a low carb diet. As I think I said before I suspect insulin resistance. All in all, as long as it's CICO and your calories stay low enough you lose weight. LCHF just helps those who tend to eat too much sugar and over consume I think. Also, people like me with insulin resistance. I also have celiac and my diet tends to be fairly low carb as result. I think it just may work better for some for various reasons. There are also health benefits for people who have epilepsy and alzheimers and it helps keep blood sugars level.
  • Jackibrazil
    Options
    To clarify though, I'm pretty pro-carb now as long as it's the right stuff. I like to get my carbs in the form of berries, sweet potatoes, whole grain rice and an occasional gluten free slice of cheesecake (avid baker here).
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    People do lchf for myriad reasons. Some because the firm structure is necessary, for them, some because the appetite suppression helps greatly. Some because it reversed their diabetes. And other neurological disorders are benefited from ketosis.

The biggest benefit I noticed was gas relief. :D

I was a keto-er. But for ME, personally, for some reason it turned me into a hostile, angry b-word. No joke. I lost weight but apparently am not an abstainer, because I fell off and massively binged and regained all, a few times. Then after jerking myself around for about six months, starting and stopping, I finally gave up for a few months and ate whatever I wanted but maintained mostly.

Then I started counting calories and getting more activity. I’m losing steadily and may sometimes still get hostile (hormonal) but nothing like the inner rage and jagged irritation I felt doing keto. It was real. Me with little carbs and me with carbs is like night and day. Just ask my family!!! Plus I had to supplement around 8000 mg of sodium to prevent debilitating headaches.

Most of my friends here are low carbers. Several have been for years. I don’t knock lchf. They are my friends come hell or high water.

I don’t care for zealots so much. I lost a few when I tried to clarify what was happening to me. It’s absolutely not one size fits all.

It did kill hunger. But it made me hangry. Which allegedly isn’t supposed to happen. It did.

Now I eat what I want within my reasonable deficit and I’m losing approximately 1% of my weight per week, average. I have plenty of days in which I eat too much sugar.

If it’s sustainable then do that. If it’s not, don’t give up, keep trying different methods. It’s taken me years and two accounts and tons of reading, tears and failures. It takes time.