Where are my ladies over 40???

Options

Replies

• blondeandfeistyAF13
    blondeandfeistyAF13 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Options
    Almost 41 here. I have been doing this again and again for what feels like forever! I find my motivation and there is nothing that can stop me, but then something happens and I sabotage myself. I need to stay committed this time. It does seem harder this time too. My metabolism just doesn't want to cooperate :neutral: feel free to add me - I need all the friendly faces and inspiration I can get!!
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm 46. I lost 50 pounds and have been maintaining about 2 years now. I am and always have been a big eater. Sometimes maintenance is way harder than losing.
  • KWoo2017
    KWoo2017 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sucks because I feel like I'm still in my early 30's. Things have changed though apparently. I've gained, lost, gained.. well you get the idea!
    I can watch what I eat all week and take 1 day off on the weekend and gain it back. I was also cursed with genetics. My mom and sister both had gastric bypass but I would be so disappointed in myself if I had to do that just because I love Suzie-Q's too much! ( and they are not the same now might I add ) lol

I love having curves and not looking like a bean pole. I do not however enjoy summer when it's time for shorts and bathing suits so I've got to get busy and get up!
  • NouschF
    NouschF Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 soon to be 45 in May. I was the same weight from 16 to 42 years old. Then bizarrely as if over night I gained 10lbs and they've stayed for three years! As I've never been on a diet I have no resolve when it comes to food. I exercise twice a week and walk a lot which is all that saves me. I know in the scheme of things it's not a lot but I really want to lose the 10lbs and keep them off. I think a group might help?!
  • lisa131072
    lisa131072 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I almost scrolled past as I momentarily forgot I am in this age group! I am 44, 45 this year and have lost just over 4 stone since last January (comparison pics as my profile). I have also just started running and signed up for a half marathon next March. I have been overweight for almost 20 years and suddenly I realised my children need a better role model. Some weeks are harder than others and I still enjoy a Saturday night glass or 2 of wine :-)
  • stephdowdy77
    stephdowdy77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and need motivation too. I start off strong every week and then derail on the weekends. I need a way to stick with my solid plan all week long. And, I am recovering from knee surgery, so I am not able to exercise much yet.
  • LoriLarson92614
    LoriLarson92614 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    PREACH SISTAS!!!! I am going to be 41 next month and the struggle is REAL! For the love of all that's holy I can't get the freakin scale to move in the right direction and it is beyond disappointing. My husband is not helpful either... like AT ALL. He goes down the path of saying really hurtful comments about my efforts and has this expectation that I can and should lose 5lbs a week EVERY WEEK and that I can lose like 65 lbs in 3 months since I am training for a marathon. Wtf man.... I am an RN and I know that is most likely NOT going to happen and I would have to be crazy unhealthy to do so. Anyway, I really need a support system, a realistic one, that understands the struggle we ladies face. I admit my diet pretty much sucks but I am going to do my best to track every day (doing weight watchers also) and see just how much I am putting in my body. Sometimes that is freakin scary because it doesn't seem like it's "that much" when in reality it's a train wreck.
    Please feel free to add me!
    Thanks from Minnesota!!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    46 and I had no problems losing weight.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    44 here. When I was 38, I went through a horrible divorce, but also found the love of my life. Just by following MFP and increasing my activity, I lost 115lbs from Jan 2011 through Jun 2012 and went from a size 24 to an 8. Over the years, I became lax, stopped tracking, stopped working out, moved a couple of times and now I'm back at it, with about 55lbs to lose. It is MUCH harder this time around, but I'm determined to fit back into the wedding dress I so loved to wear in June of 2012. Size 8. Can't wait!
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    48 here. Used MFP several years ago to lose maybe 10 lbs, got complacent and never lost any more. Amazingly, i maintained the weight loss, but everything seemed to move around. So, back here now with a focus much more on overall fitness than loss, but am down several pounds and close to maintenance for me. My goal is really to make sure I am using strength to regain, or at least keep, muscle and try to lose fat. From everything I have seen here, this is going to be a SLOW process. all I know is that i want to be able to remain active well into my retirement years and not sitting around on a couch because I have no strength to go anywhere. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • lisafr1635
    lisafr1635 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree it's definitely harder. Going on 46 and last year I gained 20+ lbs. I never stopped exercising I just wasn't watching what I put in my mouth. I'm determined to take this weight off. Weekends are the hardest for me. I'm down 4 lbs and have 18 to go! I'm a runner and run 5 miles 3-4 times a week and the do T25 with weights 3 days a week. Ladies that are weight lifters do you think I need to lift more? How much and where do I start?
  • lisafr1635
    lisafr1635 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also do you ladies consume your calories you get from exercising?
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I was down to 150 when I turned 40; however, I put on over 50 lbs when I hit menopause. I couldn't lose it and have been holding onto it for the last 2.5 years.
    I have finally lost 12 lbs in the last few weeks since on MFP and eating a clean diet (no sugar, no gluten, no soy, no dairy-ok maybe a little dairy)

I eat clean because I have Multiple Sclerosis and I am swimming competitively and I want to be healthy
    and I am

I couldn't lose for the longest time

I had a 14 year break from swimming and am finally getting a little faster

so happy to be swimming

just went down to an old pair of jeans because my pants were falling off me - yay

Looking for support - so please friend me!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    PREACH SISTAS!!!! I am going to be 41 next month and the struggle is REAL! For the love of all that's holy I can't get the freakin scale to move in the right direction and it is beyond disappointing. My husband is not helpful either... like AT ALL. He goes down the path of saying really hurtful comments about my efforts and has this expectation that I can and should lose 5lbs a week EVERY WEEK and that I can lose like 65 lbs in 3 months since I am training for a marathon. Wtf man.... I am an RN and I know that is most likely NOT going to happen and I would have to be crazy unhealthy to do so. Anyway, I really need a support system, a realistic one, that understands the struggle we ladies face. I admit my diet pretty much sucks but I am going to do my best to track every day (doing weight watchers also) and see just how much I am putting in my body. Sometimes that is freakin scary because it doesn't seem like it's "that much" when in reality it's a train wreck.
    Please feel free to add me!
    Thanks from Minnesota!!!
    Sorry about the lack of support. I know how you feel. When I did WW years ago, my DH was always asking "how many points is that?" while I was eating. Isn't that crazy? I always kept my loss efforts to myself after that. But this time, I decided I needed his support because I didn't want him and the kids to eat my Halo top expensive ice cream, etc. I asked him not to be the food cop lol, but to just listen when I hit plateaus, etc. I hope you can do the same. Stay strong and filter out the negative if you can.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    lisafr1635 wrote: »
    Also do you ladies consume your calories you get from exercising?
    Yes! At first I only used about half, but now with the fitbit, I use all. Almost at goal.

• heathermgg
    heathermgg Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hey all, I'm almost 44... I've gained and lost the same 40 lbs multiple times over the last 15 years, but never through exercising - my weight loss has almost always been stress-induced! Lol :D Last year I literally did nothing but lay on the couch and eat carbs for 7 months, numbing myself during a bad depressive episode (I have Major Depressive Disorder). Anyway when I started to come out of the black hole I had gained 40 pounds. So now I'm embarking on this journey to get fit the right way, through healthy eating and regular exercise. I would love to make new friends to provide mutual support and encouragement! I have three daughters, 16 and 8 yo twins. I work full time and am going back to school in May, so I'm hoping to make this healthy lifestyle a permanent habit by then! Please friend me and let's do this together!!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Almost being done with the 40's :'( and after losing 70+ pounds I can add that I also lost weight in my 20's and while I never thought of this time as being harder I realized I was making smarter choices. In my 20's I could do stupid things like skip meals it didn't seem to bother me. Now, that is not an option, I need the energy to function and I know how wonderful it is to get a good nights rest and waking refreshed! I think at different phases we need different motivators. I turned 48 last year and since then I have noticed some changes to my shape (not good ones, no magic fat filling out my boobs), some widening of my hips and I think my butt seems to have a life of its own but I know if I keep up with these changes I will be better prepared for the next changes.

To be honest, while I wasn't looking forward to turning 40, I really didn't notice it or see much difference until 48. I won't say it's a state of mind but our state of mind can definitely help things be manageable.
  • tldoradojr
    tldoradojr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and just started back trying to lose. I need all the support I can get.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Lost 50 lbs 3 years ago but put it all back on plus some. 42 now and it is much harder! Could really use some active friends for posotive reinforcement! Please add me!
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40 last month. I've been in maintenance for several years, with a few pounds up or down every now and then. For the most part I think I do ok! Right now I'm trying to get back some muscle tone - started a new job in September and had trouble figuring out how to fit exercise into my new schedule. Also nursing a shoulder injury at the moment but managing to get my cardio in at least! The one thing I'll say about being 40 Is that I suddenly look tired all the time!