Where are my ladies over 40???

Options
About 4-5 years ago I was at my highest weight 244 lbs. I was able to get down to 175 by simply following MFP calorie counting and being very active. Went from a size 22 to a size 10. But over the last year a lot changed, unexpected events that contributed to me gaining 40 lbs back.

Well I'm back at it again, and just turned 40 years old last fall. And WOW!!! It's soooo much harder this time around! What's up with that, LOL?!?!? :/ It totally sucks, hahaha. But I will not give in! I was very happy when I was healthier and active and I want that version of me back. I'm looking for other women who need support and like me so we can cheer each other on in this fight. :)

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, and trying to lose now SUCKS. I can be within my calorie range (not too low, not too high) and still freaking gain weight. I don't get it! :-/
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Me too. I don't have time to respond much now but 44 and can't lose

At all.

So over it!!
  • FITitch40
    FITitch40 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, and trying to lose now SUCKS. I can be within my calorie range (not too low, not too high) and still freaking gain weight. I don't get it! :-/

It's ridiculous!!!
  • FITitch40
    Options
    I'm adding you ladies
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40. Feel free to add!
  • StephanieCee12
    StephanieCee12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    42 here! I gained a lot of weight when I had my son and here I am 6 years later and still have 25 lbs to lose. I seem to stagnate at the same weight no matter what. I'm good with the exercise but I cannot control my eating! Would love some support and motivation!
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    45 and losing!
  • FITitch40
    Options
    43 going on 44. I've got 12lbs to go. Last time I was on a diet, I lost 40lbs.. Really quick. Now I've got just 12 and everything is a struggle. And WTF is it with the acne? Really!?!

Haha, it's just not fair, acne at our age!
  • FITitch40
    Options
    I'm 43. It's taken me longer to get back up to fitness. I swim an average of 2 -3 times per week and 30 min once per week on the cross trainer. My fitness had gone right down for several different reasons including major abdominal surgery in 2013, and most of the muscles on my left side had all but disappeared due to wastage, leaving me with really painful back and shoulder problems. I thought that because I was over 40 I'd never get there.

The first time I got back in the pool I thought I was going to die after just 4 lengths. But now I'm nearly where I was when I was 22. It took forever. I used to get back up to fitness after a lapse in about 2 weeks. But this time it took nearly 3 months. I'm now trogging the black line for between 50 - 70 lengths straight laps, followed by 20 - 30 lengths resistence training. I don't swim any slower than I did when I was in my twenties. I still do a mile in between 35 - 45 minutes depending on what stroke combination I use.

I just did a 15 metre bleep test for work last week, and managed it the best I've done for about 6 or 7 years, running ahead of the bleep, where as two years ago I collapsed in a heap.

Age isn't just a number because it is harder the older you get, it may take longer to get up to fitness, but once you're at a level you want to be at, it is possible to maintain it. Just don't give up. Be determined.

I love this!!!!
    I totally agree 100%! It may take a little longer but our goals are still very attainable. I know a few people who are in the best shape of their lives over 40. And running circles around some 20 year olds.
  • Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 48 yrs. I sure do agree with everyone. It's so much harder now then it was when we were younger. Add me if you like :smile:
  • jmt1995
    jmt1995 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    40 and at it again. I'm a roller coaster of weight loss/gain. I can never seem to keep it off. Add me please.
  • raspberet1975
    raspberet1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    41 going on 42, I totally need help keeping motivated. I am looking to lose over a hundred pounds but I'm having trouble finding a good diet that I can stick to.
  • typetolisa
    typetolisa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost around 50lb before I turned 40. Maintained my weight right around 130 until the last year or so. Now, I'm 141 and feel just Yuck!!! I definitely agree it only gets harder and harder the older we get, but it's worth fighting for. For your health, self confidence, energy, etc!!! I also believe weightlifting is EXTREMELY important for older ladies. One of the reasons it gets harder is the loss of muscle that naturally happens with aging. I lift every time at the gym, and definitely spend equal time between cardio and weights! And lift as heavy as you can!! Don't worry about getting that man look, you won't! You will get tight and change the shape of your body!
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It's definitely harder now that I'm over 40... I found that I had to change up my workout routine. Used to enjoy cardio several times a week but the scale wasn't moving. So now it's even more strength training - just now beginning to see results. Muscle burns fat, right? Plus logging in MFP helps a great deal.
  • FITitch40
    Options
    If I can do it, you can too. Yo-yo dieter with last big drop of weight in my mid-40s after having kids. Lost over 30 pounds with WW. Weight came back slowly but surely and now aged mid-50s getting it off again via MFP. Almost at goal, same 30 pounds, six months in. This time, I'm thinking there is never a real "goal". I am doing last few pounds purposefully and slowly to learn maintenance habits that have eluded me. I would love to hit that magic number, but I really am enjoying the journey with new clothes, new style and new highlights. I refuse to eat food I just don't like, such as fat free salad dressings. Better to log and eat what you like than try to find absolute lowest cal substitutions. You will quickly figure out which foods are not worth the calories for your personal satisfaction (bread baskets, margaritas for me ha ha). Still get acne though too - dang it.

Yes I've learned to just enjoy the food but log it! I'm all for margaritas vs fat free dressings, lol.
  • FITitch40
    Options
    typetolisa wrote: »
    I lost around 50lb before I turned 40. Maintained my weight right around 130 until the last year or so. Now, I'm 141 and feel just Yuck!!! I definitely agree it only gets harder and harder the older we get, but it's worth fighting for. For your health, self confidence, energy, etc!!! I also believe weightlifting is EXTREMELY important for older ladies. One of the reasons it gets harder is the loss of muscle that naturally happens with aging. I lift every time at the gym, and definitely spend equal time between cardio and weights! And lift as heavy as you can!! Don't worry about getting that man look, you won't! You will get tight and change the shape of your body!

Couldn't agree more, weightlifting is soo very important!!!! I'm all about finding my tight shapely figure.