Newbie Gains? Baloney?

Options
13»

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    What is your end goal from lifting? Have you tried compound lifts at all?

Goals: hypertrophy, strength, endurance, and a bit of definition. In that order.

Compounds: I currently do bench press and shoulder press with bars. I'm adding squats and deadlifts too.
    Any compounds I'm still missing?

Row

Of course. I didn't mean that's all I do!
    But I like pulley machines for that instead of barbells. I have tight trapezius muscles (working on fixing that) and barbell rows cause me headaches because of that.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    works when I do it. What browser are you using?

I just switched browsers and it works now. Thanks for the tip.

Now, this graph is reassuring! I'm curious how it was constructed, though.

...how "experienced" is the red-line trainee? (How much time do they have under their belt?)

After working our 1 to 3 times a week with mostly light weights for several months now, I feel like I'm just at the verge of being able to generate hypertrophic changes now that I'm switching to heavier weights for a phase. I can tell because my muscles seem a bit firmer and the blood supply is better. That's usually the first stage of entering hypertrophy, in my experience. (Also, my connective tissues seem a lot stronger now).

this graph was for demonstration purposes only to help understand the relative gains. It's based on real life situation only in that I'm a trainer and know from training newbies et all that this is the type of progress you will see. I'm sure there's actual studies out there with actual graphs, but I don't have any time currently to find them. Maybe this weekend if you still want to know.