Does anyone else have "rest guilt?"

Options
I know rest is an essential part of a fitness plan, but I can't help but feel guilty resting if I have time to exercise. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• fitfiercemom
    fitfiercemom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    YES lol
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    YES

I have been told to; get over it, enjoy the down time and to go for gentle walks on rest days or do lighter exercise like yoga.
    Guess which one I have been doing!? lol
    Pilates is a godsend.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    absolutely. Eventually though, you get to the point you have to rest and sleep.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I used to but I'm more disappointed in lowering my calories if i take an extended break now lol
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I have mostly stopped taking rest days unless I have to (like if I'm traveling or sick). Instead I vary my intensity and have some easier days mixed in. So far it seems to be working fine for me.
  • nspink22
    nspink22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've already run 5k today, walked another 5k, and did a weight training session. I feel pretty tired, but still feel bad sitting around haha
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I'm actually laying in bed sick now, but my stupid brain won't stop guilt-tripping me! Ugh.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not guilt, although I often feel good and want to get some work in. But, then I remember that if I don't rest adequately, my training will suffer.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I used to feel weird about it, but I've accepted it and its value. My rest day is the day before my race pace day on my current training plan, and not taking a rest day affects the quality of that workout.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to feel guilty about doing something that is an essential part of your fitness plan? Don't listen to the voices of guilt. Focus on the importance & role of rest. Pat yourself on the back for having a good plan & for following your plan!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I do. :( And the bad thing is that EVERY TIME I have a rest day, I tell my boyfriend how much better my workouts are the next day. And I STILL have a hard time taking one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    nspink22 wrote: »
    I know rest is an essential part of a fitness plan, but I can't help but feel guilty resting if I have time to exercise. Anyone else have this problem?

No...because it's part of the overall plan, and that's where I actually make my fitness gains. Recovery is invaluable...running yourself into the ground isn't particularly smart.

Also, recovery days don't mean just sitting around doing nothing...I still go for a walk or a recovery ride or do some yoga, etc...it's just rest from more vigorous training so that I can recover and improve. I also take that time to go do fun stuff with my kids and live my life...fitness is important to me for sure, but it's just one aspect of my life and health...there are a lot of other things that go along with good livin', and balance is key.

this for sure ...
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't care for rest days, at least I did not use to - but as I am getting older, I'm trying to accept that they are necessary. Addressing the associated guilt for doing so is something I am currently dealing with.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No, because rest days are easier to deal with than my workouts and recovery cratering because of overdoing it. There's a reason that rest days and deloads are incorporated into workout programs by people who intelligently design them.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm also on team "used to."
    There was a time when I thought I had to train 6 days per week, but I always felt like dog poop and started dreading my workouts, was not making much progress.
    Now I train 4 days per week, and if I don't really feel like it some days I might skip. I take my extra days to focus on recovery, and I feel 10x better now, not only in the gym but all day long.
    There are times when maybe you should push yourself to go and do a workout even when you're not feeling it, and there are other times you should just stay home/prioritize other things.