Potatos

Options
I know they are supposed to be the devil due to their high cal count
But they fill me up!!! Trust me. Eat your potatos.

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    No food is the devil, it's a matter of proper portion sizes and eating within your deficit. I've had baby red's with garlic and a little butter or cheese for dinner many times. mmmmm just bought some gold's for soup this weekend.
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I always thought they did. Gram for gram they're pretty dense
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, considering I don't like eating a butt ton of just veggies for calories, some potatoes or avocado is perfect to fill me and the remaining calories up. In fact, tonight I had baby red potatoes with shredded cheese with trader Joe's carne asada for dinner, so filling and just under 500 calories
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I put plain Greek yogurt in mine in place of butter or sour cream!
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    100g potato is about 100 calories, I think it's about the same for avacados. They may be a calorie dense food, but they're a good source of potassium and vitamin c. :smiley:

They're 72 calories per 100g, where as avocados are 160. Makes a pretty big difference if youre having 300g of one or the other. Avacados are good for you but super high in fat so therefore more calorically dense.

Potatoes are my fav food. Its really just the butter or sour cream that people usually eat them with that contributes to them being calorific. :) On their own, potatoes are satiating and healthy! YAY POTATOES!

But potato with avacado may just be amazing lol. Best of both worlds
  • Tratteews
    Tratteews Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I personally love my potatoes... I have them every night, we eat early dinner so it's nice to be full all night and then well into the next morning.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Jojo's (or seasoned potato wedges to you non-westerners) are (no longer a GUILTY) pleasure to me. In fact, EVERY time I have 1lb Jojo's I end up losing 3lbs that week.
    I swear, potatoes are godly.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I had 423 grams (raw) of baked potatoes (292 cals) as part of my dinner last night, topped with black bean dip (76 cals) and plain yogurt (74 cals) -- delicious and filling.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Love them!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, good. Russet, purple, yellow, all good.
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    dwrightlaw wrote: »
    Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew

I was gonna write that too,lol! POtatOes...Ha! love the Lord of the Rings.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I thought sugar was the devil. I'm so confused. How many devils are there!?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are far from calorically dense. The butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon that I see most people put on theirs though? Yeah, that might be it. ;)

I do carb refeeds with red skin potatoes. Try eating eight pounds of them in a day, and get back to me on this. ;)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It's not potatoes that are the problem - it's the company they keep.

I'm like you, OP (and most others in the thread), I find potatoes filling, and pretty good value calorie wise. Butter is not obligatory (and needn't be a calorie bomb anyway, you only need a little bit). They are also way more nutritious then people give them credit for. Lots of vitamin C, along other things.