Potatos

Options

Replies

• candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's not potatoes that are the problem - it's the company they keep.

I'm like you, OP (and most others in the thread), I find potatoes filling, and pretty good value calorie wise. Butter is not obligatory (and needn't be a calorie bomb anyway, you only need a little bit). They are also way more nutritious then people give them credit for. Lots of vitamin C, along other things.
    And potassium!!

And what's everyone's issue with butter, I need some to be able to eat a ton of potatoes!!!
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't like potatos, but butter is good
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,084 Member
    Options
    I like potatoes - roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, whole baby potatoes microwaved, wedges, baked spuds etc etc

I dont find it that hard to fit them in to my calorie goal - even the additions which I may or may not have.

Like any food - if you like them, eat them and count the calories.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm potatoes. Now roast potatoes, the ones I make, roasted in duck or goose fat, THOSE are a calorie bomb. But really really worth it when I do cave and make them and I make enough to feed several families just for me and my fatty belly.

But usually, baked potato is my potato prep of choice. Heck even fries aren't that hard to fit into a day.

'Mon the tatties!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Stovies are great. I had a leftover pork chop the other day and made stovies - best possible use for it
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Stovies are great. I had a leftover pork chop the other day and made stovies - best possible use for it

Stovies! At dance school, stovies day was the day the cafe did the best business. Though it was done the cheap Scottish way with tinned corned beef. Us Scots are classy like that.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    LOVE potatoes. In any form, any day, any time! I don't even need butter or anything else on them, plain, boiled with salt are still delicious
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes pretty much everyday and I usually roast them in olive oil with some seasoning. 400g of potato is 325 calories and 7g of oil is 63 calories. That's a pretty decent serving of roast potatoes for under 400 calories. Worth it to me.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yes please!

I add mashed cauliflower to my twice baked potatoes too. Yum!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I'm not a big mash eater but mash made with baked potatoes is next level. A bit more pre-planning required but so worth it.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    100g potato is about 100 calories, I think it's about the same for avacados. They may be a calorie dense food, but they're a good source of potassium and vitamin c. :smiley:

They're 72 calories per 100g, where as avocados are 160. Makes a pretty big difference if youre having 300g of one or the other. Avacados are good for you but super high in fat so therefore more calorically dense.

See, this is why you can never trust food entries in the database. Ugh.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are actually really good for you. Where they become a problem is when you fry them in a bunch of oil and cover them in a layer of salt. Or when you load a baked potato down with stuff. I love roasted potatoes. I'll put oven on 375, cut up a potato, sprinkle it with rosemary from my garden, add a little oil or butter, and cook it for about 50 minutes.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It depends on how you prepare them. I can't eat mashed potatoes when trying to lose weight because I would go overboard on them (too much butter, salt and milk). I will eat baked potatoes both white and sweet potatoes and keeping it within my goal for the day. I do love red roasted potatoes in the oven with a little EVOO, salt/pepper and parsley.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    It depends on how you prepare them. I can't eat mashed potatoes when trying to lose weight because I would go overboard on them (too much butter, salt and milk). I will eat baked potatoes both white and sweet potatoes and keeping it within my goal for the day. I do love red roasted potatoes in the oven with a little EVOO, salt/pepper and parsley.
    I do a kind of mashed potato, after they're cooked I take a fork and smash them up, add a little cheese or grated parmesan, and tasty.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i eat 10-20 pounds of potatoes a week, Love them. Their bad rep is from people piling cheese butter and sauces on top :p My favorite meal is just potatoes, Tuna, Onion/garlic and a little cream of mushroom soup for a sauce or some cottage cheese
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i eat 10-20 pounds of potatoes a week, Love them. Their bad rep is from people piling cheese butter and sauces on top :p My favorite meal is just potatoes, Tuna, Onion/garlic and a little cream of mushroom soup for a sauce or some cottage cheese

Damn, that actually sounds pretty amazing. Admittedly, I love all of those individual items, so that helps.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Damn, that actually sounds pretty amazing. Admittedly, I love all of those individual items, so that helps.

haha i hated tuna but its a good mix just microwav the potatoes up and spoon the tuna/onion mix over them with a little pepper. Yummy :p Im lazy and i needed more protein so it helps xD quick and simplistic since i keep all the onions/garlic precut in fridge since i eat so often :p

https://gyazo.com/6738a88f50ca987fc5b9cb1b1b7be118 This i my recent favorite :p I take away some potatoes and cottage cheese sometimes because it makes a huge plateful XD Just be sure to add the cottage cheese to the pan at the end of cooking just to warm it slightly or half gets watsted stickign XD

0ria2q0dx42b.jpg

Eating soem with a little siracha right now actually XD its dark in here tho.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Fantastic. I actually "bake" my potatoes in the microwave as well, using the old wet paper towel method. When you eat as many as I do on refeeds, ain't nobody got time to oven bake that many.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    you must share this magical method with me. I love baking up potato discs..Season them up and they get all puffed up and delicious, Dip in a little ketchup. Yummy. Or potato waffles. Potatoes are literally atleast 50% of my diet lol
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am another potato lover. Tonight I had a huge 520g (Raw) sweet potato which I baked and had a spicy chicken stir fry to accompany it. Yum yum yum.