Issues with Life...

Options
dec056
dec056 Posts: 87 Member
Hi everyone,
I know this may not be the most appropriate place to come for advice, but I'm here. Here is my situation.

I'm 22 years old and 2 months away from graduating nursing school. I've already secured employment, for the most part. My mom is disabled-retired, and my father works full time and is an alcoholic.

My dad comes home, gets drunk, and passes out. I have told him that this bothers me, and I have repeatedly asked him to stop, to no avail. He does not contribute other than the one or two bills that he pays. I can't depend on him. Honestly, I feel like I don't even have a dad.

They constantly argue and fight, my mom is consumed by fear of our new president to the point that it's all she talks about. For example: earlier, she was going on and on about the First Lady, I disagreed with her opinion, she told me **** you and stormed off. It's a constant, every day obsession and it's getting old. Fast. I also caught her stealing my flexiril several weeks ago, and when I confronted her she lied repeatedly before confessing.

I am afraid to move out because of my mom's chronic health conditions. I know my dad probably won't take the initiative to help if I'm not around. I feel an obligation to help her, but I'm tired of this environment and feel like I'm being taken advantage of. When I think about leaving, I'm filled with guilt, but I am starting to think that it may be the best move for my mental health.

Replies

• dec056
    Options
    I'm not going to go into detail on here but this was pretty much once me.

Let me just say that nobody will change your dad but him or a massive shock that knocks him into shape.

My advice is that you should get out for your own sake. Maybe you could move out but stay near by so that you're still around for your mum but at the same time you have your own space and time away from all of that.

I'm more than happy for you to inbox me to chat, I wish you well. :)

Thank you!
  • dec056
    Options
    I like your mom! I'll send her a basket of chef-made pastries and flowers if I can.

As for you, leave. Your career is important. You father will step up.

Thanks so much.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It has not gotten any better since the thread you created back in December? I am sorry, still.
  • dec056
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    It has not gotten any better since the thread you created back in December? I am sorry, still.

Nope. It hasn't gotten any better.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    dec056 wrote: »

Quite sorry to hear this.. there was a lot of helpful posts in that thread.. anything from there that helped you?

I wish you well and lots of luck! Stay strong! :)
  • dec056
    Options

Quite sorry to hear this.. there was a lot of helpful posts in that thread.. anything from there that helped you?

I wish you well and lots of luck! Stay strong! :)

Somewhat, yeah! But overall the situation really has not improved. I'm trying to figure out my next move. Thank you!

• canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    They are adults. Live on your own. And go to Alanon.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you are still in school, you probably can't move out until you can establish a bit of money. Until then, you need to disengage. Go to Alanon or find a counselor that can help you with your guilt and think about a plan to get out of your parent's house. I agree with Imjohnson110. Your parents are adults. They have made choices. Now you need to make yours. I wish you nothing but the best.
  • dec056
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »
    If you are still in school, you probably can't move out until you can establish a bit of money. Until then, you need to disengage. Go to Alanon or find a counselor that can help you with your guilt and think about a plan to get out of your parent's house. I agree with Imjohnson110. Your parents are adults. They have made choices. Now you need to make yours. I wish you nothing but the best.

Thank you very much.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

best advice yet
  • dec056
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

best advice yet

Yep! Simple and helpful!

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Move out. Get on with your life.
    You are not responsible for propping your parents up. There are places they can turn to for help if they choose.
  • dec056
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Move out. Get on with your life.
    You are not responsible for propping your parents up. There are places they can turn to for help if they choose.

Thanks!

• dec056
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice so far. I'm going to save as much money as possible, get on my feet, and then get out ASAP.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try to move out and check on your mom often. She might just see how good you are and come with, your courage might give her strength.

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options

Ahh. That makes sense. I had a moment of de ja vu reading the original post, and I couldn't figure out if it was something I read before or just another post of a problem shared by others.
  • dec056
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the advice so far. I'm going to save as much money as possible, get on my feet, and then get out ASAP.

I think that's a good idea.

It wasn't at all on the same scale, but I felt a lot of guilt after deciding to move provinces a few years ago. Before the move I went to a therapist for my anxiety and she told me that for the most part guilt is a useless feeling. It's great when it comes to not letting you do bad things but apart from that, it's just a confusing ball of emotions that serve no purpose.

As much as you care, you are not responsible for your parents. You need to decide what is best for you and you alone. They're adults and as terrible as the choices they've made are, they're their choices. Don't let their faults run you into the ground.

Also, I hope you're proud of yourself for reaching your goals despite difficult circumstances.

Thank you. I am very proud of myself for reaching my goals.
  • Whit_88
    Whit_88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can't stay in a bad situation forever just because you feel bad for your mom, she chose your father, you didn't get a choice. Years ago when I was 17 I left home, my dad and step mom were both addicted to drugs and fighting constantly and I'd stayed for my baby sister, she was only 2 at the time. I didn't want her to see the same stuff I had seen, which was a lot. My Mom and Dad had been meth addicts/alcoholics through out my childhood. They fought all the time, and I don't mean yelling I mean knock down drag out fights that I would be forced to break up or sneak out of the house to call the police. So when it got really bad between he and my Step Mother I realized I couldn't be there anymore. I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating, I was anxious and scared all the time. I HAD to get out. I always felt guilty for leaving my little sister but I did go and pick her up, I would keep her with me a couple days of the week so she would get a break. That was 11 years ago and looking back I am so glad I left when I did. It saved me.
  • dec056
    Options
    Whit_88 wrote: »
    You can't stay in a bad situation forever just because you feel bad for your mom, she chose your father, you didn't get a choice. Years ago when I was 17 I left home, my dad and step mom were both addicted to drugs and fighting constantly and I'd stayed for my baby sister, she was only 2 at the time. I didn't want her to see the same stuff I had seen, which was a lot. My Mom and Dad had been meth addicts/alcoholics through out my childhood. They fought all the time, and I don't mean yelling I mean knock down drag out fights that I would be forced to break up or sneak out of the house to call the police. So when it got really bad between he and my Step Mother I realized I couldn't be there anymore. I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating, I was anxious and scared all the time. I HAD to get out. I always felt guilty for leaving my little sister but I did go and pick her up, I would keep her with me a couple days of the week so she would get a break. That was 11 years ago and looking back I am so glad I left when I did. It saved me.

Thank you
  • dec056
    Options
    Well y'all. I tried to stop her from taking something from the dog so he wouldn't bite her and...she hit me. Lovely.