Texas

Options
Boland_D
Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
So what is Texas Like? I am considering moving there in the future.
Which part has the best weather and is the most enjoyable?
And of course what are your favorite restaurants there?

Replies

• mandymay01
    mandymay01 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've never been there, my grand parents were snow birds from Minnesota, down in the Sothern most tip for 18 years, my Grandmother loved it there in the winter.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Pros: Upon a Burning Body and Pantera are from there.
    Cons: everything else.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I lived in Texas for a year and I hated it.

Of course, I lived in College Station with a bunch of college kids running around and I worked for a total jerk of a lawyer who made me miserable... I may have liked it otherwise.

I did like getting my groceries at HEB though, and learned to love Mexican food, too.
  • IslaTiempo
    IslaTiempo Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Texas is pretty big. Have you narrowed it down?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Where in Texas? It is a big place.

In general --
    • Pros: fantastic Mexican food; no snow in winter to shovel or drive in; BBQ; lower cost of living when compared to the east and west coast (with Austin being the exception to this); no state income tax
    • Cons: hot as the seventh level of hell in summer, spring, & fall (seriously); tornadoes, hurricanes, drought or flooding is a regular occurrence; mediocre to poor school and health care systems; Drivers rated worst in the county ; rated worst place to raise children
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Texas, the worst of all the states with the letter X in its name
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have seen more of Texas in the time I was there.

I enjoyed my visit to Galveston, for sure.
  • ipunkrock2
    ipunkrock2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just moved to Texas from California. It's really not that great here. And I miss California's Mexican food. :(
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    ipunkrock2 wrote: »
    Just moved to Texas from California. It's really not that great here. And I miss California's Mexican food. :(

Can't beat Taco Bell
  • ipunkrock2
    ipunkrock2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »

Can't beat Taco Bell

Sorry to break it to you, but Taco Bell is not Mexican food. If you've ever been to San Diego they have amazing authentic Mexican food.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion based on my own personal experiences having only visited many times, but not having lived there long-term. Obviously, these are opinions and not fact. (I don't want any mad Texans to get after me!)

I have in-laws in West Texas and Hill Country so I've been in both areas multiple times. West Texas is a desolate wasteland. :s East Texas is a little creepy in the terrain, with it's flatter, thickly treed, swamp-seeming places - places where serial killers and inbred cannibals might be lurking. :# I think Hill Country is really pretty. o:) I almost moved there. I had a place picked out on the river, but the in-laws killed it for me. >:) They would have been way too close for comfort. I've never been to the coast or any of the rest of the state, so I have no comment on that.

The people - Let's just say they are very loud and proud of themselves and seem to love to boast their opinions. They don't mind showing you how it is - some to the point of obnoxiousness. Most seem pretty outgoing and friendly, though. :)

Go visit and see for yourself!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Yes. Yes, you do. :'(
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »

Can't beat Taco Bell

Sorry to break it to you, but Taco Bell is not Mexican food. If you've ever been to San Diego they have amazing authentic Mexican food.
    I feel you on that :'(
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, Texas is a big state and different parts of it are very different. There isn't a lot out in west Texas but oilfield work and dust. East Texas isn't bad, plenty of pine trees and pretty country. There is plenty of coastline, of course. The Rio Grande valley has fresh produce and basically no winter, and it is almost mandatory to speak Spanish. Houston is huge and has essentially no winter bit the traffic and the humidity in the summer suck. Dallas is way to crowded but some areas around it are really nice. Ft Worth isn't bad but the areas just outside of it are better. I live northwest of Ft Worth. There is a notable shift in climate around DFW. The areas to the south and east get very little ice and not much freezing weather. As you head northwest, you quickly run into much more of it. I am not far from Ft Worth and we get lots of freezing weather and a few nights in single digits. About 45 minutes northwest of here will easily see another 10 degree drop which significantly increases the amount of freezing weather in the winter including some negative temps. The hill country is really nice and has very mild winters. IMO, the outskirts of DFW and the hill country are the best areas of the state but it really comes down to personal preference.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

This all depends on where you are and if you know where to go. There is no shortage of Mexican food in Texas and plenty of places where you can't even order unless you speak at least some Spanish. "No lechuga y no seboya" is a very handy phrase.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lived here all my life.
    Houston is humid & has lots of traffic. Great entertainment center.
    Dallas is less humid, but still higher than I like. Horrible traffic. Entertainment opportunities abound.
    San Antonio has narrow downtown streets, but the Riverwalk is fantastic for food, drink, dancing.
    Austin is a mecca for liberalism and high-tech. Sixth Street can't be beat for partying. Avoid I-35 at all costs! Nude swimming at Hippie Hollow. Has probably the highest cost of living in the state.
    East Texas has trees; west Texas has hardly any.
    Great beaches on Padre Island and Corpus Christi.
    The Panhandle can get pretty cold in the winter; while the Rio Grande Valley hardly has a winter.
    Good barbecue is available everywhere as is Tex-Mex.
    Unemployment varies widely by region as does crime, but both are below the national average, mostly WELL below.
    The far west has mountains, but the remainder is comparatively flat.
    The Hill Country, just south & west of the center of the state, has rolling hills with a tremendous display of wildflowers every spring.
    Casual dress is acceptable almost everywhere all the time.
    Keep your vehicle in good repair because a trip to any of the locations mentioned will take a while. For example, it's about a 7-hr drive from my house to El Paso, 3 to Dallas, 4 to San Antonio, 6 to Houston.
    Gasoline is almost always below the national average cost.
    With a few exceptions, most people are friendlier than elsewhere. Especially as you move west of Fort Worth.

• risberg96
    risberg96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm in dfw area. Cost of living is better than Chicago and no state income tax.