Texas

Options

Replies

• Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    IslaTiempo wrote: »
    Texas is pretty big. Have you narrowed it down?

From what I've heard about it more north. I hate humidity and my favorite seasons are fall and winter so I'd like to actually experience them XD
    I'm getting a little tired of Washington weather. Sometimes I realize it's been days since I've seen the sun.
  • Boland_D
    Options
    I'm born and raised TX girl. I'm from Houston...but now live North of there. I have family in Dallas and Austin (both fun cities) Austin for the music..Dallas for the social. As far as weather goes I'd say Dallas...but up north they have more seasons than us down here further South.

As far as restaurants go there are plenty of good eats in major cities and also local places! BBQ and Tex-Mex is amazing here...

I love living in TX for the most part..and I have experienced both country life and city life..this state is def a part of who I am.

Great information, thank you :)
  • Boland_D
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    This is just my opinion based on my own personal experiences having only visited many times, but not having lived there long-term. Obviously, these are opinions and not fact. (I don't want any mad Texans to get after me!)

I have in-laws in West Texas and Hill Country so I've been in both areas multiple times. West Texas is a desolate wasteland. :s East Texas is a little creepy in the terrain, with it's flatter, thickly treed, swamp-seeming places - places where serial killers and inbred cannibals might be lurking. :# I think Hill Country is really pretty. o:) I almost moved there. I had a place picked out on the river, but the in-laws killed it for me. >:) They would have been way too close for comfort. I've never been to the coast or any of the rest of the state, so I have no comment on that.

The people - Let's just say they are very loud and proud of themselves and seem to love to boast their opinions. They don't mind showing you how it is - some to the point of obnoxiousness. Most seem pretty outgoing and friendly, though. :)

Go visit and see for yourself!

Everyone I've met from Texas has been pretty obnoxious.
    It's crazy because people who have never lived there make it seem horrible. I'm even guilty of this.
    But everyone from Texas make it seem like the best place ever.
    So I started to wonder what it was really like.
    I'll definitely travel around the state before I decide but it seemed like a good place for job opportunities and for my family.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Boland_D wrote: »

From what I've heard about it more north. I hate humidity and my favorite seasons are fall and winter so I'd like to actually experience them XD
    I'm getting a little tired of Washington weather. Sometimes I realize it's been days since I've seen the sun.

I live about an hour north of the dfw metro area. If you like real seasons TX might not be the place for you. Depends on how you define winter :lol:
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

born and raised in texas. grew up in northwest texas near the panhandle and lived 10+ years in east texas. i've been in central texas since 2001. if moving to texas, i'd try my best to live central/hill country area. it's more laid back and liberal. we don't all wear cowboy hats or ride horses.

true, summer months can be very hot/humid, but i hate winter so spring/summer/fall is awesome for me. and winter is tolerable since it's mild compared to up north. allergies might kick your *kitten*, though.

if big city living is wanted, i'd pick dallas over houston.
  • Boland_D
    Options

Come to the North East. Enjoy all four seasons and the greatest people in the world, and stone's throw to NYC.

Why Texas? Texas is not the greatest place in the world. There are folks who are fighting hard to close institutions which provide healthcare to women.

If you still want to head out there. Then Austin, TX is a good bet.

My husband's parents are looking for somewhere to settle down south as they age. We also have looked into jobs out there and it seems promising.
    If I'm being honest I never even water to visit texas. Couldn't have cared less about the place, but I've met a couple from there and they talked about their land, animals and house, which had me in awe.
    I've always horses, cows and pigs with acres galore and I think Texas could offer that.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Friendly reminder not to bring politics into this discussion. Not even a little bit, it will derail the discussion and violates our guidelines.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic - My daughter is heading to Dallas for the summer to work, (from Ireland) then to Houston for a few days before coming home, are there areas she should/shouldn't go? Anything she should know?
  • Boland_D
    Options
    Interesting topic - My daughter is heading to Dallas for the summer to work, (from Ireland) then to Houston for a few days before coming home, are there areas she should/shouldn't go? Anything she should know?
    Wish I could help you. Maybe some previous answers can? Many are pretty detailed.
  • blueglassstars
    blueglassstars Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I moved to Texas 7 years ago. Austin is busy but has some interesting things, but for me once you've been there done that it's not that exciting especially in over 100* heat with humidity.
    DFW is a never ending traffic nightmare. Has a few neat things that you won't find many places, but not things that you want to do every day.
    Houston is closer to being able to drive a shorter distance to go to a Gulf coast beach or something like that.
    San Antonio has theme park stuff and a really old church.. not much else that drew my attention anyway.
    Other than that and the seasons are not Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. It's just not as hot mixed with cool, hell, not as hot and not as hot mixed with cold. The Bluebonnets are pretty.
  • Seant456
    Seant456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    anyone from Houston here?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Seant456 wrote: »

I'm technically in the north metro...but it's an hour an half to get downtown in the morning (on weekdays other than Friday...45 minutes at posted speeds).
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    This is just my opinion based on my own personal experiences having only visited many times, but not having lived there long-term. Obviously, these are opinions and not fact. (I don't want any mad Texans to get after me!)

I have in-laws in West Texas and Hill Country so I've been in both areas multiple times. West Texas is a desolate wasteland. :s East Texas is a little creepy in the terrain, with it's flatter, thickly treed, swamp-seeming places - places where serial killers and inbred cannibals might be lurking. :# I think Hill Country is really pretty. o:) I almost moved there. I had a place picked out on the river, but the in-laws killed it for me. >:) They would have been way too close for comfort. I've never been to the coast or any of the rest of the state, so I have no comment on that.

The people - Let's just say they are very loud and proud of themselves and seem to love to boast their opinions. They don't mind showing you how it is - some to the point of obnoxiousness. Most seem pretty outgoing and friendly, though. :)

Go visit and see for yourself!

Everyone I've met from Texas has been pretty obnoxious.
    It's crazy because people who have never lived there make it seem horrible. I'm even guilty of this.
    But everyone from Texas make it seem like the best place ever.

So I started to wonder what it was really like.
    I'll definitely travel around the state before I decide but it seemed like a good place for job opportunities and for my family.
    It's closer to being the best place ever than it is to being horrible. I've visited Texas probably around 15 times in my life since I have family down there and it's always a great time. However I can't imagine living there. I need snow and those crisp 60 degree autumn days when all the leaves are changing.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Seant456 wrote: »

Aye. Gulf Coast side.

I don't have much to add. HEB and Taco Cabana brought me back to Texas after 9 years in Utah. Real Tex-Mex. Austin is amazing although I admit I bleed burnt orange.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Texan born and raised and I love it. It's huge and so diverse so it depends in your preference. Prior to January I was in Oklahoma for 7 years and I'm now in Dallas. Dallas was not one of my favorite cities until I decided to accept a job out here and so far I love it.
    I've lived in Austin, Houston, now north Texas region and grew up in south Texas.

In a nutshell: Austin - being the capital you're going to see a lot of ppl doing something on their political and social issues. Like a live version of Facebook. Also, great for those who are into healthy lifestyle because I swear there's a whole foods around every corner. Lots of parks and outdoorsy stuff.

Houston - Some ppl say it's "ghetto" I loved it there. A diversity of cuisine, close to Galveston but humid AF.

DFW - Depending on the area...some places very friendly, community oriented like a small town, other places - pretentious, there's also tons to do all year round.

South Texas - humid, seafood and beaches. Also not quite as crowded as the bigger cities.