Wish fresh veggies weren't so expensive

Options

Replies

• _Phill727
    _Phill727 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you're buying fresh keep the salad ingredients separate until you're ready to eat (even lettuce varieties) produce stored together will accelerate the oxidation process. No one likes slimy spinach
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    sillywsop wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I bought a large bag (2lb 1.5 oz) of a chocolate puff cereal with marshmallows for $5.98. That bag is 32 servings.

Man, that's only, like, 4 mixing bowls worth. 32 servings my *kitten*. #thisiswhyimfat

A mixing bowl and a cereal bowl are quite different in size and capacity!!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I bought a large bag (2lb 1.5 oz) of a chocolate puff cereal with marshmallows for $5.98. That bag is 32 servings.

Man, that's only, like, 4 mixing bowls worth. 32 servings my *kitten*. #thisiswhyimfat

A mixing bowl and a cereal bowl are quite different in size and capacity!!

Cereal actually lasts a lot longer than a couple of months in my house, not just because the serving size is so small, but because the serving size is so small, I'm not willing to use the calories on it at all! ;)
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a balancing act. I have to agree with other posters that if you can, look for frozen fruits and veggies. If nothing else, you can puree and freeze them to use in place of some ingredients in cooking. If you have a Sprout's/Sunflower nearby, their fresh produce is really economical.

Meal planning also helps. If you plan your week in advance, you can budget for the fresh items you need. You may even come up with ways to use the entire bag of veggies or fruit within the week without it spoiling. In fact, restaurants practice this, which is why you'll see so many dishes using the same components prepared different ways.

I remember seeing a spot on America's Test Kitchen on PBS in regards to freezing your own fresh fruit. Apparently, it can be done at home without damaging the fruit too much. If I can find a link to the video, I'll see about posting it here.

Good luck!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've become sold on good quality frozen veggies. They are affordable and you always have them on hand to steam with a meal or throw in a dish.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Are you in the US? I've heard cauliflower is (or was, some months ago) expensive over there. Pick produce in season, or frozen. You're not supposed to overdo it, either. 3 100 grams servings of vegs and 2 servings of fruit per day is enough. Oh, and avoid "organic" if "not organic" is cheaper. And precut will be more expensive.

I don't really think you wish vegetables weren't so expensive. Vegs aren't expensive. But you prefer other foods? You can have a little of each, and your taste preferences can change and adapt to what you expose them to. Learn to cook.

Except that 10 serves of fruit and vegetables are now recommended. 800 grams in total of vegetables and 200 grams of fruit. The reason most countries haven't adopted these recommendatios is because they know that most people are already not getting enough. I don't think many people around the world are overdoing vegetables, if that is even a possibility
    That's just crazy. I believe I eat plenty already, I enjoy that my diet is well balanced; I think more vegetables would make it hard for me to get enough energy. I'm also thinking of the adverse effect of this recommendation - the more difficult goal, the more people will feel that they are failing. And people who feel that they're failing, are not prone to make good decisions. If the intention is better public health, I would think emphasizing the recommendations that have big impact on health, and giving recommendations that are possible to reach in practice (not just in theory), will be most effective.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    For the calorie amount fresh fruit and veg ARE more expensive. I hate how people say they aren't. If I buy some junk food donuts 1.69 (for pack of 6 at 320 cal per doughnut) and box of cereal (1.69 with 12 servings) that would easily last me 2 weeks of 500-600 calorie breakfasts. HOWEVER, if I buy 4 fresh bell peppers (4.00), one lb broccoli (2 bucks), one large tomato (2), I could eat ALL of that in ONE day and it wouldn't even amount to the same calorie amount of "fuel". So YES eating fresh fruit and veg is more expensive than eating junk because you have to buy A LOT more to get the same calorie amount of fuel.

No way. A few vegetables, some protein and a starch and you can feed yourself for a few days cooking one meal. Even if you buy the cheapest junk food out there you will not get the same nutritional bang for your buck. I wish the myth of "it's cheap to get fat" would die. Some things are very expensive, but seasonal vegetables or frozen vegetables are cheap almost everywhere. Canned vegetables are also an option. All of these are cheaper than a pop tart or hot pocket. I think it's an excuse people use either because they don't know how to cook or they want to keep eating junk and don't want to just admit that.

All of these are not cheaper. A box of poptarts run 1.67 at my local store and that would last a WEEK. For that amount I could get ONE tomato or one head of broccoli, which would just be a small component of ONE meal. I think it depends on location. I am picky about my veg and I don't like canned vegetables or cheap starches such as rice/beans/potatoes so when I make a meal, it is all veg and protein. I buy lettuce which is 2.99 and it lasts me only two salads worth. To eat a salad every day for lunch is quite expensive. I have to buy the lettuce, tomato (2), onions (1), cucumber (99c), radishes (2), green pepper (1), etc it all adds up to about 5 per salad when I figured it out, which is 25 bucks per week. Alternately I could have a hot pocket each day for lunch for the same calories and it would only cost me 7.50 for the whole week.

Just an example, so I don't think you can say it IS just as cheap to eat healthy. It CAN be, but many people such as myself are picky and do not want to eat plain rice and canned vegetables. I also dislike the taste of frozen vegetables. They aren't the same as fresh. So unfortunately with my preferences it is more expensive, although that is my fault LOL. I don't use it as an excuse because my grocery bill is quite high. I do choose to eat mostly vegetables because it's what I enjoy, I just am not happy about it.
    I think we can agree that it's expensive to be picky. High-end foods are expensive. A protein+veg diet will be expensive. But that's your personal choice, and you are the one who should make that choice.

Price is not the same as value. Everybody has to decide for themselves, and in each individual case, what's worth and not worth the cost. Decision making takes place on both rational and irrational levels. And that's great. That's what makes us human, and not machines.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? I've heard cauliflower is (or was, some months ago) expensive over there. Pick produce in season, or frozen. You're not supposed to overdo it, either. 3 100 grams servings of vegs and 2 servings of fruit per day is enough. Oh, and avoid "organic" if "not organic" is cheaper. And precut will be more expensive.

I don't really think you wish vegetables weren't so expensive. Vegs aren't expensive. But you prefer other foods? You can have a little of each, and your taste preferences can change and adapt to what you expose them to. Learn to cook.

Except that 10 serves of fruit and vegetables are now recommended. 800 grams in total of vegetables and 200 grams of fruit. The reason most countries haven't adopted these recommendatios is because they know that most people are already not getting enough. I don't think many people around the world are overdoing vegetables, if that is even a possibility

To keep my costs down I mainly stick with what is in season or frozen.

Huh? I thought it was 10 serves of fruits/veggies at 80g per serve (not 100g) for a total of 800g of fruits and veggies.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    For the calorie amount fresh fruit and veg ARE more expensive. I hate how people say they aren't. If I buy some junk food donuts 1.69 (for pack of 6 at 320 cal per doughnut) and box of cereal (1.69 with 12 servings) that would easily last me 2 weeks of 500-600 calorie breakfasts. HOWEVER, if I buy 4 fresh bell peppers (4.00), one lb broccoli (2 bucks), one large tomato (2), I could eat ALL of that in ONE day and it wouldn't even amount to the same calorie amount of "fuel". So YES eating fresh fruit and veg is more expensive than eating junk because you have to buy A LOT more to get the same calorie amount of fuel.

But that is such an unreasonable way to compare foods (far beyond apples vs oranges). It doesn't even make sense, as the main problem with modern diets is too many calories. You don't buy vegetables to get calories, but to get vitamins, minerals and fiber. Normal people don't fill up on fruit and veg.

Actually, I want nutrition - vitamins, minerals, fibre etc - from pretty much all my food.

Here in Australia, good quality fresh fruit and veg is pretty pricey. I saw half a head of cauliflower for $4.98 the other day. A whole cauliflower was twice that.

And don't get me started on meat!

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

That's just crazy. I believe I eat plenty already, I enjoy that my diet is well balanced; I think more vegetables would make it hard for me to get enough energy. I'm also thinking of the adverse effect of this recommendation - the more difficult goal, the more people will feel that they are failing. And people who feel that they're failing, are not prone to make good decisions. If the intention is better public health, I would think emphasizing the recommendations that have big impact on health, and giving recommendations that are possible to reach in practice (not just in theory), will be most effective.

So a goal for good health, developed by and pretty much agreed upon by experts in the field should be watered down because its' too hard?

News flash, replacing for the most part the empty calories in sugary drinks, chips, candy, cookies, cakes, etc with fruits and veggies would have a big impact on public health
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah guys, this can be a real issue with families in poverty at least in the US. Or, even if not in abject poverty, there are "food deserts" where there is a store, but no access to a lot of fresh, affordable fruits and vegetables (think Family Dollar). It's easy to criticise, but if money is tight in the budget food that's expensive, perishable, and the kids whine about eating it anyway are often the first to get cut.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

So a goal for good health, developed by and pretty much agreed upon by experts in the field should be watered down because its' too hard?

News flash, replacing for the most part the empty calories in sugary drinks, chips, candy, cookies, cakes, etc with fruits and veggies would have a big impact on public health

You are hearing something I'm not saying. I'd be replacing bread, milk, nuts, meat and fish, eggs, beans, rice, pasta, butter and yogurt with fruit and vegetables to reach that goal. So it's going to be negative for my health.

I'm so happy I've stopped blindly taking expert's advice.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Yeah guys, this can be a real issue with families in poverty at least in the US. Or, even if not in abject poverty, there are "food deserts" where there is a store, but no access to a lot of fresh, affordable fruits and vegetables (think Family Dollar). It's easy to criticise, but if money is tight in the budget food that's expensive, perishable, and the kids whine about eating it anyway are often the first to get cut.
    "Food deserts" is blown out of proportion. Not eating healthy is a lot more about not being able/willing to plan meals, never having learnt how to shop and cook, and fear of trying new things or choosing the path of least resistance. Oh, and constantly being told about food deserts and how expensive healthy food is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I actually think the 10 servings is a great goal, but what you have to realize is that a serving isn't that large, something like 80 g (less if leafy greens) or even just a piece of fruit (half a piece if a big fruit), a cup of veg (whatever that is), 2 cups of uncooked leafy greens, so it's more like 200 g with breakfast, 300 grams with lunch and dinner, and it does count at least one serving of beans toward it, if memory serves.

I like eating this way and don't find it hard and tend to be really high on the value of vegetables in particular, BUT I totally agree that if thoughts are "this is so much more expensive than a Snickers" (which is not a meal) then start with just the 5 servings and work up. There are many options in-between all sugary cereal and all vegetables, and although I've always hated sugary cereal most everyone seemed to eat it for breakfast when I was a kid and you ate vegetables and fruit ALSO, so I really don't understand this idea that you contrast the costs of the two things. You can find non sugary cereal cheap too and eggs are pretty inexpensive in the US.

Some links for the 10:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/23/five-day-10-portions-fruit-veg-cut-early-death

http://www.thekitchn.com/10-photos-that-show-you-your-daily-recommended-servings-of-fruits-vegetables-207261

Current US recommendations: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/vegetables
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

You are hearing something I'm not saying. I'd be replacing bread, milk, nuts, meat and fish, eggs, beans, rice, pasta, butter and yogurt with fruit and vegetables to reach that goal. So it's going to be negative for my health.

I'm so happy I've stopped blindly taking expert's advice.

I wasn't referring to you. I have no idea what you eat. The fact is Americans in general don't rat enough fruits and vegetables.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I made myself a delicious carrot/broccoli/cauliflower cooked veggie combo and had some for breakfast. But for what it cost me I could have bought 3 huge bags of sugar cereal that would last me several months vs a week. It's sad. :D

I went shopping last night. (Kansas, Walmart, winter)
    I also bought vegetables and some fruit (not organic). I spent about $28 on vegetables and fruits for a family of 3 humans plus 2 guinea pigs. Some will last us a few weeks and some will be used up in a week.
    The cereal is cheap per serving ($.18) but 1 large meal of vegetables would not cost the same as 3 big bags of cereal.

3 lb bag of fresh apples $5.54
    3-5 lb (?) bag of fresh potatoes $3.67
    16 oz bag of fresh parsnips $2.68
    Bag of fresh oranges $4.97
    26 oz bag frozen broccoli $1.98 (8 servings)
    16 oz bag frozen spinach $1.44 (6 servings)
    Fresh cherry tomatoes $2.98
    4 fresh bell peppers $3.52

I didn't buy fresh carrots or cauliflower this week. An old receipt from January has a bag of whole carrots at $1.48.
    Frozen and canned vegetables and fruits can be cheaper than fresh in winter. Investigate those.

Ultimately it is a choice of how you want to live and what it is worth to you.

This perplexes me, being as how we're both in the midwest. I'm in IA, and here the apples would be about $3, potatoes on sale for $2 or less, oranges for about $3.50, & green peppers .50. This week, I got asparagus for .99 a bunch, cauliflower for 1.99, kale for .99, and strawberries for 1.29/lb.

Even so, I don't want fruits & veggies all the time and don't understand the OP's either/or scenario.

It is what I actually paid for those items this week. I haven't compared prices to other stores in nearby cities or states. I'm not sure why things are priced differently-Different varieties costing different amounts? Produce coming from different places to IA vs. KS. Different taxes on fuel, etc affecting cost of doing business in different states passed on to consumers? Less competition being the only store selling fresh produce in town? Walmart/Kansas just being *kitten*?
    We get better deals at the farmer's market in summer.

Are 3 big bags of cereal cheaper than 1 large meal of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower at your stores? Because it would not be from mine.

I also don't think you need to eat just sugary cereal or just vegetables even on a budget. Eggs, dry beans, lentils, rice pasta, oatmeal, chicken thighs, powdered milk, tuna, peanut butter, frozen vegetables, canned vegetables and fruits are all decent budget food choices in many locations.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    MomReborn wrote: »
    It's definitely a balancing act. I have to agree with other posters that if you can, look for frozen fruits and veggies. If nothing else, you can puree and freeze them to use in place of some ingredients in cooking. If you have a Sprout's/Sunflower nearby, their fresh produce is really economical.

Meal planning also helps. If you plan your week in advance, you can budget for the fresh items you need. You may even come up with ways to use the entire bag of veggies or fruit within the week without it spoiling. In fact, restaurants practice this, which is why you'll see so many dishes using the same components prepared different ways.

I remember seeing a spot on America's Test Kitchen on PBS in regards to freezing your own fresh fruit. Apparently, it can be done at home without damaging the fruit too much. If I can find a link to the video, I'll see about posting it here.

Good luck!

Yep, flash freezing fruit is pretty easy :) I freeze a lot of blueberries and strawberries in the summer (get them from the U-pick farms for really cheap)

http://pickyourown.org/freezingblueberries.htm

I also freeze a lot of corn, which is a bit more time consuming but it preserves the 'fresh' corn on the cob taste really well!

http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingcorn.htm
  • crzycatlady1
    Options

Yes, yes it is. And if you want to join the rest of us crazies who are actually doing the 800g veg/fruit challenge (10 a day), the more the merrier :D

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521320/10-a-day-800g-veggie-fruit-challenge-participants-check-in/p1

• crzycatlady1
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

To keep my costs down I mainly stick with what is in season or frozen.

Huh? I thought it was 10 serves of fruits/veggies at 80g per serve (not 100g) for a total of 800g of fruits and veggies.

It's 800g total, in any sort of veg/fruit combination.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Well, excess calories not quantity of food caused us to gain. I was eating a lot more crackers, popcorn and cheese before finding out the calories. Scaled back to more appropriate portions for me and crackers are not worth it. I wasn't going overboard on spinach or carrot calories.

My daughter is the only one who regularly eats cereal. She does not have the appetite of a larger man. I don't find cereal filling or appetizing personally so don't eat it often. I have never seen dh eat cereal. He usually skips breakfast. He might eat a mixing bowl serving of ice cream. ;)
    The big bag will last a really long time. The last time we bought cereal may have been 3-4 months ago.