Wish fresh veggies weren't so expensive

Options
I made myself a delicious carrot/broccoli/cauliflower cooked veggie combo and had some for breakfast. But for what it cost me I could have bought 3 huge bags of sugar cereal that would last me several months vs a week. It's sad. :D

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are you in the US? I've heard cauliflower is (or was, some months ago) expensive over there. Pick produce in season, or frozen. You're not supposed to overdo it, either. 3 100 grams servings of vegs and 2 servings of fruit per day is enough. Oh, and avoid "organic" if "not organic" is cheaper. And precut will be more expensive.

It was some places briefly. Seems cheap enough now.

Nothing much is in season in much of the US, of course, so maybe it's expensive some places. Seems cheap enough where I am (big city, so maybe more availability than some areas), but if cost is an issue for OP frozen is cheaper (like you indicate) and probably more nutrient-dense this time of year.

Agree on organic and pre-cut also.

Other cheap things (cheaper than sugary cereal, although if someone wants that, it can fit in a decent diet) are plain oats, dried beans, dried grains/rice, potatoes, etc.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky because vegetables are very cheap where I live but sometimes when money is short, I rely heavily on tinned tomato, frozen spinach and peas and loads of carrots and cabbage. Are even these vegetables so very expensive in the states?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Depends on where you shop actually. I like Sprouts because they have very low prices on fresh produce. If you have one near you maybe check them out.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I made myself a delicious carrot/broccoli/cauliflower cooked veggie combo and had some for breakfast. But for what it cost me I could have bought 3 huge bags of sugar cereal that would last me several months vs a week. It's sad. :D

I went shopping last night. (Kansas, Walmart, winter)
    I bought a large bag (2lb 1.5 oz) of a chocolate puff cereal with marshmallows for $5.98. That bag is 32 servings.
    I also bought vegetables and some fruit (not organic). I spent about $28 on vegetables and fruits for a family of 3 humans plus 2 guinea pigs. Some will last us a few weeks and some will be used up in a week.
    The cereal is cheap per serving ($.18) but 1 large meal of vegetables would not cost the same as 3 big bags of cereal.

3 lb bag of fresh apples $5.54
    3-5 lb (?) bag of fresh potatoes $3.67
    16 oz bag of fresh parsnips $2.68
    Bag of fresh oranges $4.97
    26 oz bag frozen broccoli $1.98 (8 servings)
    16 oz bag frozen spinach $1.44 (6 servings)
    Fresh cherry tomatoes $2.98
    4 fresh bell peppers $3.52

I didn't buy fresh carrots or cauliflower this week. An old receipt from January has a bag of whole carrots at $1.48.
    Frozen and canned vegetables and fruits can be cheaper than fresh in winter. Investigate those.

Ultimately it is a choice of how you want to live and what it is worth to you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MikaMojito wrote: »
    I'm lucky because vegetables are very cheap where I live but sometimes when money is short, I rely heavily on tinned tomato, frozen spinach and peas and loads of carrots and cabbage. Are even these vegetables so very expensive in the states?

No.

But IME vegetables in general are not that expensive here.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Large bag of carrots $3
    2 large celery bunches $1.50
    7 mini cucumbers $3
    Box of spinach $3.50
    Large head of broccoli $1.50

Wegmans prices in Maryland....
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For the calorie amount fresh fruit and veg ARE more expensive. I hate how people say they aren't. If I buy some junk food donuts 1.69 (for pack of 6 at 320 cal per doughnut) and box of cereal (1.69 with 12 servings) that would easily last me 2 weeks of 500-600 calorie breakfasts. HOWEVER, if I buy 4 fresh bell peppers (4.00), one lb broccoli (2 bucks), one large tomato (2), I could eat ALL of that in ONE day and it wouldn't even amount to the same calorie amount of "fuel". So YES eating fresh fruit and veg is more expensive than eating junk because you have to buy A LOT more to get the same calorie amount of fuel.

It really does vary based on your location/store options/sales. This week (MI), I can get 2 pks of bell peppers for .79 (Aldi) and broccoli crowns for $1 (Meijer). And then between the two stores I'm also getting pound containers of tomatoes for $1, 3lb bags of apples for $1, pound of asparagus for $1.39, 2lb bags of carrots for .59, 3lb bag of onions for .69 etc.

But, even doing the 800g a day veg/fruit challenge this month, I don't only eat veggies and fruit. I still eat (cheap) grains like rice and oats, eggs, dairy, lean meats etc. I don't focus on veggies and fruit for my calories-that comes from other foods.

OP-I have a grocery budget of $100 a week, for a family of 5 (and that includes non-food items as well). I do a lot with frozen veggies (.89 per bag at Aldi or $1 at Meijer here), and then I make my menu plan/grocery list based on the sales ads for the week. I'm actually doing that right now, for my grocery trip tomorrow :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? I've heard cauliflower is (or was, some months ago) expensive over there. Pick produce in season, or frozen. You're not supposed to overdo it, either. 3 100 grams servings of vegs and 2 servings of fruit per day is enough. Oh, and avoid "organic" if "not organic" is cheaper. And precut will be more expensive.

I don't really think you wish vegetables weren't so expensive. Vegs aren't expensive. But you prefer other foods? You can have a little of each, and your taste preferences can change and adapt to what you expose them to. Learn to cook.

Except that 10 serves of fruit and vegetables are now recommended. 800 grams in total of vegetables and 200 grams of fruit. The reason most countries haven't adopted these recommendatios is because they know that most people are already not getting enough. I don't think many people around the world are overdoing vegetables, if that is even a possibility

To keep my costs down I mainly stick with what is in season or frozen.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Frozen, in season, or on sale fruits and vegetables are cheaper than that crap in the cereal aisle. (And frozen is just as nutritious as fresh.) There are also healthier non-vegetables options besides "huge bags of sugar cereal." You can buy all kinds of things in bulk or on sale - oatmeal, rice, beans, etc. that end up being cheaper than that other garbage. If you actually want to eat the sugar cereal within your calorie goals, then go for it. That's a personal preference thing. But don't use the cost of food as an excuse to eat poorly. ;)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I went shopping last night. (Kansas, Walmart, winter)
    I bought a large bag (2lb 1.5 oz) of a chocolate puff cereal with marshmallows for $5.98. That bag is 32 servings.
    I also bought vegetables and some fruit (not organic). I spent about $28 on vegetables and fruits for a family of 3 humans plus 2 guinea pigs. Some will last us a few weeks and some will be used up in a week.
    The cereal is cheap per serving ($.18) but 1 large meal of vegetables would not cost the same as 3 big bags of cereal.

3 lb bag of fresh apples $5.54
    3-5 lb (?) bag of fresh potatoes $3.67
    16 oz bag of fresh parsnips $2.68
    Bag of fresh oranges $4.97
    26 oz bag frozen broccoli $1.98 (8 servings)
    16 oz bag frozen spinach $1.44 (6 servings)
    Fresh cherry tomatoes $2.98
    4 fresh bell peppers $3.52

I didn't buy fresh carrots or cauliflower this week. An old receipt from January has a bag of whole carrots at $1.48.
    Frozen and canned vegetables and fruits can be cheaper than fresh in winter. Investigate those.

Ultimately it is a choice of how you want to live and what it is worth to you.

This perplexes me, being as how we're both in the midwest. I'm in IA, and here the apples would be about $3, potatoes on sale for $2 or less, oranges for about $3.50, & green peppers .50. This week, I got asparagus for .99 a bunch, cauliflower for 1.99, kale for .99, and strawberries for 1.29/lb.

Even so, I don't want fruits & veggies all the time and don't understand the OP's either/or scenario.