Can you truly eat whatever you want as long as it's under your goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Two extremes here:
    1. Eating "perfectly healthy" (whatever you decide that to mean); and
    2. Eating your calorie goal in Twinkies.

We're human; we're not going to eat perfectly healthy. It's just not going to happen.
    By the same token, eating 1X00 calories in snack cakes is just unsustainable.

But I believe that, beyond strictly 'CICO', which some people swear by, food choices DO matter--to an extent.

When it comes to weight loss, especially with people with considerable weight to lose, food choices are less important than controlling portions. But if you do it right, healthy options mean you can eat until you're full and not have to worry as much about blowing your calorie goal.

I personally do what I call 'paleo-ish', and I personally recommend that everyone at least entertain it as an eating plan, though you don't have to adopt it fully; I don't. I try to eat reasonably close to paleo, but I draw the line at their fancy, overpriced paleo-friendly alternatives to condiments, seasonings, dressings, etc. Also, when there's something I really want to eat that's not paleo-friendly, I just eat it, making sure I don't deviate more than once every few days. To be totally honest, sugary things don't even cross my mind--if they did I'd allow myself a small indulgence, but again, no more than once or twice a week.

I should clarify before I make someone mad by appearing to not bow at the 'CICO' altar:
    CICO is king. But food habits (that is, repetition of healthy food choices) can make it easier to meet your calorie goal.

:lol: at the CICO altar! And I completely agree with the subsequent statement.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

When it comes to weight loss, especially with people with considerable weight to lose, food choices are less important than controlling portions. But if you do it right, healthy options mean you can eat until you're full and not have to worry as much about blowing your calorie goal.

In my short time here, this concept has been the biggest eye-opener of all. So much so that I have a hard time eating all the way to my goal some days.

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options

In my short time here, this concept has been the biggest eye-opener of all. So much so that I have a hard time eating all the way to my goal some days.

My wife eats the same way I do, and we both have that problem (she more than I).

I'd contend that any restriction of processed food might yield the same result. But as opposed to writing my own rulebook, I choose 'paleo'.
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight faster if you consume a higher amount of your calories from protein rather than fat/carbs.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Depends on what you "want" if all you wan are snickers and twinkies it will be difficult to stay below your goal due to the true lack of satiation.

The key here is to meet a balance between caloric deficit and sanity. If you eat all of your calories at lunch in the form of a whole chocolate cake by 8pm you're going to feel like knawing your arm off. I am so tired of this advice "eat what ever you want just stay below your calories"

It completely ignores the truth of dieting/habit change psychology, biology of hunger, blood sugar/chemistry, and a person's energy needs. (ie a 60 yo sedentary man has different dietary requirements than that of a 28 year old nursing mother) Did you know that nursing mothers actually need lots of carbs and good fats. And depending on how much milk she produces she could burn up to an additional 1000kCal per day. Some people experience extreme hunger pangs that are more difficult for them than others during dieting.

It is incredibly rude and dismissive for anyone to tell you that your dieting approach is wrong that you should be able to just eat what you want just stay under the calorie goal. Everyone's physical composition is different, hormones, mental stress, and energy needs among other things can effect dieting success. Dieting is a function of managing all of that. To make it seem so "simple" is to undermine the effort required and therefore can undermine a new dieter's motivation when there are "blips" and failures along the way. It's unsupportive.

The supportive point of would be: Dieting is a tiered approach

- Calories come first. If you are over calories you won't lose weight.

- Next monitor Macros. You have to determine for yourself what balance of macros helps you maintain your desired
    caloric deficit while minimizing discomfort. Discomfort is normal, but why experience more than necessary.

- Next Proper Hydration. Proper hydration is key in body functions. It can also help reduce fatigue. Often times when people over eat is due to fatigue and stress.

- Next is your micros. Eating a good variety of foods especially from fruits, vegetables and meats helps ensure that your body is receiving what it needs. It will also help keep your blood sugar stabilized to ensure you are getting what you need from your so that your mood and body function is optimal.

- Finally add in Physical Exertion. This should match your goals (Cardio - Weight loss, Resistance for muscle protection) While Physical exercise is not the key driver, it can help push you closer to your goals, help prevent relapse, and re

So if you need a quick pithy thing to quote:
    Calories count first, so count calories first.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes it's exactly how it works.

In my experience though, the closer you are to your goal, so harder it is to get away with it :(
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yup! I've lost 20 lbs eating absolutely whatever I want. Just as long as I was under my calorie goal. It also prevents junk food binges because you don't feel deprived. I eat healthy most of the time but I allow myself treats because they taste good :)