Does it get easier?

Options
For some background, I weigh 189.4 (after losing my first pound thanks to this wonderful site!) at 5 foot 6 inches. My goal is to lose one pound a week, and since I'm sedentary that leaves me with an allotted 1520 calories per day.

To be clear, I was never an emotional overeater or someone who ate lots of fast food or anything. I gained the weight for two major reasons. The first reason was that my medication slowed my metabolism and made me feel hungrier than I otherwise would. I'm thankfully almost completely off that medication now, but the weight still has to come off. The second reason was that my roommate (who is lightly active, muscular, and truly blessed in the metabolism department) and I were cooking all our meals together for a while to pool money and resources. Of course, she can eat /any/ amount and stay thin, so I was eating portions that were right for her rather than for me.

Unfortunately, I guess my body is used to over 2,000 calories per day, and now I'm trying to cut it down to 1520. Even when I eat regularly, I still feel hungry a lot. Does this get easier with time? I really hope so because to lose 40 pounds (as my minimum goal), I'm in this until at least Christmas.

Replies

• Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I find that it did get easier, just because I got used to the idea of things and decided that this was what I really wanted. I find small snacks like apples and carrots really help.
  • antinomiancelestial
    antinomiancelestial Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. It's ultimately true that no matter how hard this is, being fat has been harder on my self-esteem and on my body in general than this diet has been. Maybe the low 190s isn't exactly "My 600 Pound Life" or anything, but it has made me feel more sluggish and lethargic, achier, and just a lot less self-confident.
  • antinomiancelestial
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss - Thank you for your inspiring story! Are you saying that adding exercise, allowing yourself to eat more, made the hunger less challenging to deal with?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It gets harder. Being active helps a lot though, sorry to tell you. It's just a huge difference when you can eat 2200 calories instead of 1600...
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    It gets easier if you start learning how to cook healthier meals, and use less fat. Vegetables, and lean meat needs to be your best friends. Ground Turkey, Ground lean beef, chicken breast etc are great. You need to eat stuff that fills your stomach. You can eat huge portions if you cook them right.
    Workout helps a ton but be careful about overestimating your calories burned.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It got less confusing when I figured out simple meal formulas for breakfast and dinner, at home, and lunch, at work. That was ok until weekends. It took a while to figure out simple meal formulas for weekends. Sometimes, "No, we can't go out to eat" has to be part of the formula.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Until you sort out your head as why you comfort eat it will never be easy believe me 29 years yoyoing about 300 lbs plus in chunks on and off
    Just take it a day at a time
  • alicemargaret88
    alicemargaret88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It gets easier in some ways! One thing that is quite helpful when you are adjusting to a lower calorie/macro intake (mine felt low because based on my BMR and petite frame I am not allotted many calories) is eating high volume foods that don't aren't overly nutrient dense. By this I mean broccoli, cabbage, zucchini 'noodles,' spaghetti squash, dark leafy greens. I feel very satiated when I opt for higher volume choices such as these, and I genuinely enjoy vegetables! Hope this helps.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello there, in my opinion, yes it gets easier. Your body will get accustomed to the diet sooner or later. I don't know if you have ever tried fasting before. But once you do it for a few days, your body stops claiming food at certain times because it knows it won't get any.
    What you can however do is this, you know your goal and main objective is to keep under calorie goal, but you feel hungry after not eating what your stomach considers enough, so you need to find low calorie filling food. The magic answer is salad. Lots of salad. You can spice it up, maybe even use some sauces to make it more interesting (be careful though, those are highly caloric) but make it your main meal, it sure is mine. The other thing is protein rich food, such as meat. That kinda meal really fills you up with a controlled amount of calories.
    But besides all this, keep in mind you're barely starting. Weight loss is a process that I'd like to compare to a wheel. That is really hard to get moving at first, but then it'll start moving because of its own momentum. Take pictures, weigh yourself often, that sort of indicator will push you through tough patches of hunger. I for example keep a calendar with my weights marked on every day to remind myself how far I went every time i feel weak.

PS: I'm currently at a daily calorie intake of 1400, 2 weeks ago I was on 1200cal/day and I workout 5 days a week. If I can do it, you sure as hell can. Good luck
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm only a few weeks in myself but I have found in life that if i can push myself into doing something for 8 weeks it becomes a habit and no longer takes pushing. So i have found if i want to make bug changes to instead make a small change then keep it up for 8 weeks then make another small change. I'm not sure this works for everyone but try it.
  • antinomiancelestial
    Options
    Thanks, all.

I want to clarify that I don't comfort eat. I'm not talking about craving a snickers bar when I talk about hunger; I'm talking about actually going into the fridge and eating raw produce because I'm so ravenous that I'll eat anything I possibly can. The dieting isn't working out right now because I wake up from hunger, I can't focus on my job because of hunger, and I'm constantly listening to my stomach loudly growling. This is at 1520 calories a day. It's so frustrating. I'm probably going to refeed for a few days and then switch to trying to lose 0.5 pounds per week. Apparently I am either eating all the wrong things or just not capable of trying to lose weight at 1 pound a week. I don't know what the issue is.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It gets easier in some ways! One thing that is quite helpful when you are adjusting to a lower calorie/macro intake (mine felt low because based on my BMR and petite frame I am not allotted many calories) is eating high volume foods that don't aren't overly nutrient dense. By this I mean broccoli, cabbage, zucchini 'noodles,' spaghetti squash, dark leafy greens. I feel very satiated when I opt for higher volume choices such as these, and I genuinely enjoy vegetables! Hope this helps.

High volume (high fiber) doesn't do much for me.

OP - protein, fiber & fat are satiating.....but it's different combinations for everyone. It will get easier over time because you will learn what foods are satiating for you.

Adding exercise to bump up your calories will help too.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It'll get a bit easier. You'll get used to what you can eat, what is more satisfying, etc. You'll start to amass a variety of regular staple foods that work for your calories, desired protein content, etc. Also- If cutting certain things out (or eating them very rarely) because they don't fit well in your calories & macros, you'll generally crave them less and forget a bit what they taste like. (I had a donut - Pazcki- OK-more than 1 actually- at a dance on Mardi Gras.. for the first time in months,..OMG I had pretty much completely forgotten what that wondrous starchy-sugary rush felt like. Not that I had purposefully cut them out, I just don't tend to go out and grab fast food anymore).
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You know what we have very similar stories. Add me I sent you a request and my diary is open you can see for yourself, that you can get a lot of volume to fill yourself up so you wont be hungry all the time, with a moderate amount of exercise nothing crazy cause I did that before and turned into an angry and hungry person who couldn't focus past the hunger. One of the things I found helpful was timing. Get up early (5-6:45am) eat an early breakfast (7 am), if I sleep past that I don't eat breakfast I wait till the next time which is around 10 am for a snack, then lunch at 11:30 am-1 pm, then another snack at 3/4pm and dinner at 6 pm. If I am not on time I get ravenous and it is almost uncontrollable, and sometimes I get hungry later in the night and that is at 8/10 pm and usually a warm glass of milk, water, some juice, maybe some nuts something small and light and that keeps me full enough. Honestly, try to focus on the scale less and the body measurements/how clothes fit more, it will keep you sane. And I tried the slim fast thing for about 2 weeks, just to get used to what feeling full and satieted was at such a low calorie diet, I didn't continue with slim fast other then if I need something ridiculously fast and I don't want to think about the meal especially as by doing it for those 2 weeks gave me bad headaches at the end.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    It gets easier if you start learning how to cook healthier meals, and use less fat.

Not for me. Fat & protein make me full; carbs make me hungry.

Changing my eating is tough for about 3 days, and then it gets very easy. I also eat pretty much the same thing every weekday, which make sticking to a caloric goal easy.