What do you expect from a gym?

Options

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    The only other thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is: childcare. Probably not something you can offer off the bat, but childcare was the reason I joined my current gym.

I do pay an extra monthly fee, but it's super convenient for the weekends when my husband and I both want to go. My kids are too young to stay home alone; and what a pain to find a babysitter for every Sat/Sun morning at 8am.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    1. Childcare
    2. Lysol wipes EVERYWHERE
    3. Climbing wall
    4. Boxing equipment
    5. Please, God in Heaven, hear my prayer for more Smith machines at my gym. Would be a good idea at your gym, too.
    6. Good luck!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    An indoor track, and an indoor fake turf area with sleds, tires, and prowlers. Pairs of kettlebells in various weights that go up to at least 32k.

Child care is a must for me. Lack of child care is the reason I left the gym and built a home gym.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I am a YMCA member because of the childcare. My kids love the iZone and some of the Ys have indoor playgrounds. I don't feel guilty leaving my kids for an hour or two because they are having fun.

I like that they update their cardio equipment regularly, no crazy old machines. It's bright, clean, and they keep the rooms nice and cool. So it doesn't smell like a stinky gym. They have disinfectant wipes on all the walls to wipe machines down.

The locker rooms are clean, though it could use a few more benches. I don't like that the water pressure in the showers are so light, I feel like it takes forever to rinse my hair out. So decent water pressure would be nice.

I also like the complimentary coffee!

They also offer informative clinics like running, how to meal prep, a weight loss support group... it's great.

I'm not even including the kid stuff they offer like swim lessons, sports, camps, parents night out, mothers morning out, etc

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,247 Member
    Options
    We recently bought a space to open up our own gym in late fall/winter 2017. Just curious what you would want/except from your gym? Classes, types of machines, etc. Things you wished you had, things you don't like about your gym...any and all input is much appreciated.

Also, anyone with an awesome name idea gets a special prize.

Lots of treadmills, spin bikes and rowing machines

Big windows to see outside and get natural light while using the treadmills, spin bikes and rowing machines

In fact, what would be wonderful is if the treadmills, spin bikes and rowing machines could be in an indoor/outdoor type of area ... roof overhead, windows on three sides with great views, and the windows could be opened to get lots of fresh air.

Each piece of equipment should have its own TV as well as USB slots etc. for downloading stats, playing our own music or videos etc.

Evening spin classes during the week, and late day spin classes on weekends.

Spin classes should be held in similar area as above ... spacious, bright, fresh air, as much natural light as possible, views to the outdoor world.

Plus a few extras:

-- A small weights area
    -- Climbing wall
    -- Lap pools
    -- Indoor/outdoor walking/running track

Well, actually ... a lot like this: :)
    http://www.reddeer.ca/recreation-and-culture/recreation/recreation-facilities/collicutt-centre/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    A lap pool that always has a free lane!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Smithmachines are bad for your knees. Very bad.

Piggyscience, better than broscience.

I have incredibly bad balance, so I need the safety of it. I wouldn't pass a field sobriety test right now and I haven't had a drink since December :/
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We recently bought a space to open up our own gym in late fall/winter 2017. Just curious what you would want/except from your gym? Classes, types of machines, etc. Things you wished you had, things you don't like about your gym...any and all input is much appreciated.

Big windows to see outside and get natural light while using the treadmills, spin bikes and rowing machines

In fact, what would be wonderful is if the treadmills, spin bikes and rowing machines could be in an indoor/outdoor type of area ... roof overhead, windows on three sides with great views, and the windows could be opened to get lots of fresh air.

Each piece of equipment should have its own TV as well as USB slots etc. for downloading stats, playing our own music or videos etc.

Spin classes should be held in similar area as above ... spacious, bright, fresh air, as much natural light as possible, views to the outdoor world.

Plus a few extras:

-- A small weights area
    -- Climbing wall
    -- Lap pools

http://www.reddeer.ca/recreation-and-culture/recreation/recreation-facilities/collicutt-centre/

I was thinking of adding ice rink, but thought, naw, a gym wouldn't have an ice rink. I'm glad to be proven wrong.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Assuming you're not a niche gym...

I expect a good array of equipment - some cardio machines, some plate-loaded machines, some free-weight racks/stations, and some functional training areas. I expect a place to stretch. I expect it to be clean and safe. I expect hours that work for people who work normal jobs. I expect the staff to re-rack weights when/as needed. I expect the staff to be smart enough to help when asked, and to keep their mouth shut when appropriate.

Beyond that, it's on me to make the most of the gym.

The bold part should NEVER ever be needed to be done by the staff.

Shouldn't, but is.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Options
    I expect squat racks, a couple places to deadlift, and a few decent benches. I like a variety of cable machines and accessories, a staff and clientele that keeps weights and dumbbells racked and the space clean. I don't care about cardio or classes as long as there is a stationary bike I'm game.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,247 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Plus a few extras:

-- A small weights area
    -- Climbing wall
    -- Lap pools

I was thinking of adding ice rink, but thought, naw, a gym wouldn't have an ice rink. I'm glad to be proven wrong.

I wish the area where I live now had something like Red Deer's Collicutt Centre. It's got a place that kind of heads in that direction but not so well done.

I lived in RD for a few years and was a member at the Collicutt Centre. A person could spend a whole day there doing different things and not get bored. :)

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Multiple squat racks would be great!
  • NerdyWord33
    NerdyWord33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym had a couple of heavy bags. I have one at home,but it would be easier to use one at the gym while my toddler is in the childcare area.
    That being said, I picked my gym because of the childcare area.
    Before my daughter, I liked my old gym because it was small and comfortable. Cardio equipment in one area, machines in another, and free weights had their own room as well.
    There was a room for women with free weights and exercise balls to workout with some privacy. It was popular,but I didn't use it often.
    They had open courts for racquet ball,but also let us use them for mitt work when they were empty.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    It's subjective, but most gyms will have the essential weights and machines that people will regularly use. What I see where gyms differ is: child care, locker room/bathroom cleanliness, and competent and helpful staffing. If any of these 3 lack, it tends to be the difference in where people will go. And I've worked at several gyms and see how it affects members.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Things you wished you had

a laundromat in the next room over? it's not a joke. i can't do either where i'm living, and if i could do my laundry and my lifting all in the same saturday trip . . .

i have the run of about a dozen rec centres here, and i always go back to the ones that have:
    - multiple racks or cages. not just one for bench and one for squatting.
    - quiet treadmills
    - the shorter oly bar and trainer plates
    - a floor-based bar stand. one centre has everything else, but the bars have to be hoisted into brackets high up on the racks. i've seen people 6" taller than me have trouble with that when they're tired. it's also nervous having tired people waving vertical barbells around while you're actually using the rack. and/or a mild inconvenience having to wait out somebody's set before you can put your bar back.

things i never use include: the fixed-weight barbells.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I am a YMCA member because of the childcare. My kids love the iZone and some of the Ys have indoor playgrounds. I don't feel guilty leaving my kids for an hour or two because they are having fun.

I like that they update their cardio equipment regularly, no crazy old machines. It's bright, clean, and they keep the rooms nice and cool. So it doesn't smell like a stinky gym. They have disinfectant wipes on all the walls to wipe machines down.

The locker rooms are clean, though it could use a few more benches. I don't like that the water pressure in the showers are so light, I feel like it takes forever to rinse my hair out. So decent water pressure would be nice.

They also offer informative clinics like running, how to meal prep, a weight loss support group... it's great.

I'm not even including the kid stuff they offer like swim lessons, sports, camps, parents night out, mothers morning out, etc

Where are you a member? Your Y sounds awesome! My Y is not that great, but I love the people. I don't even think it is technically a YMCA anymore.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

Where are you a member? Your Y sounds awesome! My Y is not that great, but I love the people. I don't even think it is technically a YMCA anymore.

My Y is the same, with the exception of the wipes. There is another nearby that is older and shows it.

OP: cleanliness and enough squat racks. My Y only has two racks and the wait last night de-railed my workout.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    As others have stated racks, platforms, bumper plates, etc, but my biggest need is a semi decent bench. I'm not looking for an elitefts competition bench (but I wouldn't turn it down), but it has to be usable.

I used to have a program through my insurance were I could go to many gyms. The thing I hated the most were horrible benches for bench pressing. The absolute worst were the ones at the Y. For some reason the hooks to hold the bar were static and super deep so you had to press the bar out 2" to clear the hooks, and thus lose your setup. There really was no working around it- even with a handoff it was difficult. It seems this type of bench is super common in commercial gyms but I would absolutely not join a gym where this was my only choice for benching. There were only two racks at this gym which had static supports so benching in the rack was out of the question as well. Sadface.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Pizza once a month