What do you expect from a gym?

Options

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I concur with the racks and bumper plates.
    One of my favorite gyms had a big open space of astroturf for people to do sled pushes/pulls, farmers carries, etc. Not sure if it'd be an efficient use of space at a commercial gym, but it was nice.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Options
    Well, considering there's a blizzard here in NYC and my gym is managing to open at some point today...I expect my gym to be open in a blizzard :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'd like it to be just as welcoming to newcomers as it is for members who know all the equipment, moves, etc.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have two gym memberships...one strictly for the indoor pool. The other one has plenty of free weights, treadmills, ellipticals and Nautilus machines. It's not an overly crowded gym so I don't wait for much of anything. What I would like is a rower and battle ropes (we had, but they started falling apart and they are gone now). My gym used to be in a lot smaller location and when it moved, we gained a lot of open space, which I love. It is nice to have room to stretch and we have a long open area that is great for walking lunges, bear crawls, farmers carries and other things like that. The old gym it was sometimes tough to find a spot to do push ups
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I need a dedicated hip thruster.

https://www.thehipthruster.com/
  • bbell1985
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

That would make me so freaking happy. I wonder how much time per week I spend with my stupid hip thrusting set up and break down.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Don't let people use there phone
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    plenty of squat racks, power racks, and benching areas. It sucks when you go in one leg day and all the racks are taken up and you have to wait/try to mix up your routine..

This, more than anything (and assuming you'll have the usual sets of weight and cardio machines). Basically, think of the maximum number of racks you could sanely need, then add 1 or 2 more.

I'd also add some staff that encourage people out of the racks when they're blocking them with some stupid inappropriate exercise like barbell curls or anything with dumb-bells, and that make sure that weights get re-racked.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

That would make me so freaking happy. I wonder how much time per week I spend with my stupid hip thrusting set up and break down.

Same here. Not to mention that I can never quite get the right height.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »

What? My music is on my phone. I use it to log my training. I also have long set breaks when I'm lifting near 85-90% of my max and use it to pass some time as well as text my coach and take form videos.
  • bbell1985
    Options

The right height how so?

I push a bench against a wall and just roll the bar over my legs and use a boxing pad so I don't bruise. When the 45s are on there is still a bit of room when I bring it up over my legs.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

What? My music is on my phone. I use it to log my training. I also have long set breaks when I'm lifting near 85-90% of my max and use it to pass some time as well as text my coach and take form videos.

I think they mean like... talking on the phone loudly, sitting on equipment while having a loud *kitten* conversation, taking up space on equipment playing angry birds for an hour, taking selfies in the locker room (good luck other ladies trying to change!), etc.
  • bbell1985
    Options

I think they mean like... talking on the phone loudly, sitting on equipment while having a loud *kitten* conversation, taking up space on equipment playing angry birds for an hour, taking selfies in the locker room (good luck other ladies trying to change!), etc.

Yeah but if the rule was no phones, I couldn't do my thing. See I'm just worried about myself here ha
  • Xvapor
    Options
    nothing is more frustrating than having people texting, talking or taking selfies while you are waiting to use equipment
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I fired my old gym because they signed up more people than they could accommodate. It was a madhouse, with people waiting in line to access machines and equipment. FAIL.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

The right height how so?

I push a bench against a wall and just roll the bar over my legs and use a boxing pad so I don't bruise. When the 45s are on there is still a bit of room when I bring it up over my legs.

Yeah, so it depends on how tall you are but the ideal hip thrust height ranges from 13 - 19 inches. When you sit down and scoot up against the bench you want the height of the bench to touch your lower scapula.

So actual benches (like a bench press for example), other "free benches" in the gym, etc. are too tall. You can see more here where bret contreras talks about bench height; but i prefer around 13 inches myself.
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new business! I've been to a whole mess of gyms, and the one thing that really affects me is light. I seem to work so much harder in a well lit, brightly painted, window-filled gym than in a glum concrete bomb shelter. Of course, a wide variety of equipment is great, and the cleanliness is very very important, but lighting makes 10000000% difference to me.

How about Power House Gym? Power Lift Gym? HardLift? Good luck, I hope you have a successful gym!!
  • Xvapor
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I fired my old gym because they signed up more people than they could accommodate. It was a madhouse, with people waiting in line to access machines and equipment. FAIL.

People want cheap gym memberships that's the problem. So they have to sign up more members. not saying they wouldn't try to sign up as many as they could cause it's a business but they wouldn't have too and you would eliminate a lot of the people
  • bbell1985
    Options

The right height how so?

Yeah, so it depends on how tall you are but the ideal hip thrust height ranges from 13 - 19 inches. When you sit down and scoot up against the bench you want the height of the bench to touch your lower scapula.

So actual benches (like a bench press for example), other "free benches" in the gym, etc. are too tall. You can see more here where bret contreras talks about bench height; but i prefer around 13 inches myself.

Oh yeah. Mine always hits in the right spot.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This is actually an interesting thread...the birth of a gym! I don't suppose you are blogging your experiences thus far? It would be fascinating to see how much work goes into starting a gym...